Normally when I mute all my strings my guitar will be totally silent but when I plugged in my guitar today muting has no effect. I get the same amount of noise if I mute the strings or not. I tried plugging in another guitar and that worked fine so I know its not a problem with my amp.

Does anyone know what might have caused this?

The guitar is an Ibanez Xiphos XPT707FX with Phase 1 SD Blackouts.
i wonder has the grounding wire come loose somewhere? I'm guessing actives use grounding wires too (as you can tell, i'm not exactly an electronics guru ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definitely the first thing to check are your ground connections. The jack ground and bridge ground are the usual suspects.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wonder has the grounding wire come loose somewhere? I'm guessing actives use grounding wires too (as you can tell, i'm not exactly an electronics guru ).

^This. I was thinking the same thing. You might also want to check your battery and battery connection. Batteries crapping out on you can cause all sorts of noisy problems.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
CRustad, open up the part of your guitar where the control knobs are. There should be a black wire coming off your volume knob. That is normally connected/soldered to your bridge or bridge post. Make sure it's attached, that's mostly likely the culprit.

Which guitar is it?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by FatalGear41
^This. I was thinking the same thing. You might also want to check your battery and battery connection. Batteries crapping out on you can cause all sorts of noisy problems.

Turns out the battery was dying. Usually the guitar starts to stutter when that happens but not this time I guess. Thanks a bunch guys.
Quote by JustRooster
CRustad, open up the part of your guitar where the control knobs are. There should be a black wire coming off your volume knob. That is normally connected/soldered to your bridge or bridge post. Make sure it's attached, that's mostly likely the culprit.

Which guitar is it?

Actives don't use/need a ground to the strings. Although, I HAVE seen them come wired this way from the factory. Glad you got it figured out. I put actives in my old Xiphos and I think I liked the D-Activators in it better
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I missed the part about the Blackouts! Woops.

Well, that advice is for passive pickups. Still good knowledge for the random lurker.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
ah sweet if it's just the batteries that's even handier. I was gonna say maybe the battery, but thought it might be captain obvious to the rescue type of thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JustRooster
I missed the part about the Blackouts! Woops.

Well, that advice is for passive pickups. Still good knowledge for the random lurker.

Agreed. Its weird though, even though EMG wiring diagrams say they are unnecessary, I still have seen guitars that come stock with EMG's have a ground to the bridge.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)