Ok so here's the deal. I usually play acoustic but I decided to try messing around on this cheapo Peavey electric that I have. I don't know anything about adjusting the parts that the strings rest on at the body end or anything. When I'm strumming or plucking through though, the high E has this twang type of sound to it and the high E is always snapping because to even get it in tune, it's super tight. I don't know if it's something that needs adjusted on the body end or it also runs under one of those little clamp things on the headstock which adds tension to it. Are those things even necessary or what? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time!!

Oh and if needed, I can post pics of both the body end where the strings are and the headstock.
Last edited by apache1322 at Oct 23, 2013,
Replace it, sounds like it wasn't strung on right. If that's the case I'd just entirely put new strings on it and start from scratch.

The best way to take the tension off in a simple fix is to adjust the saddle (the metal bit where the string sits on the bridge). Just use an allen wrench or a screwdriver depending on the bridge and lower it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I actually replaced it twice. The first time the string snapped when I was trying to tune it. There is another adjustment on the saddle though. I have one with hex screws to raise and lower it but I also have one with a Phillips to that pushes it forward or back. Which one should I adjust or how should I go about adjusting them. Also, if I adjust that one, don't I have to adjust all of them to match somehow? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just an electric newb.
The one with the phillips head is your intonation. The affect that has on feel is very minimal, as it's there just to properly intonate your strings to get the best sound and tuning stability.

The one with the hex screws adjusts the action, which is how far above your fretboard the string is. You certainly do not have match heights of all the saddles. Each string is set to it's own heigh based solely on your comfort.

The only time you'd have to adjust them all is if you had a floating bridge, which your Peavy shouldn't. If you have a whammy bar on yours it would be a Strat style. Can you get a model name of your guitar or a picture of the bridge for us?

Also, where are those strings breaking? At the tuner or the bridge?
Model name is a Raptor Plus EXP. I have a pic but don't know how I can post it from my iPhone.
Adjusting action won't actually make the sting have any less tension, it just makes it easier to fret since you don't have to push it down as far.
Yea it won't let me attach the image file but the string breaks at the tuner and not at the body. That's y I wasn't sure if the little clamp on the headstock might be causing the issue where the high E runs under and into the tuning peg because that seems to put a lot of tension on the string.
Quote by J_W
Adjusting action won't actually make the sting have any less tension, it just makes it easier to fret since you don't have to push it down as far.

Yes but is it possible that the twang noise I'm getting is coming from the string being too close to the fret board??
If the strings are too low, it will buzz. Is this happening when you play the string open or when you're fretting a note?
It's hard in explain in text. I'm at work so I can't post a youtube link.

To me it sounds like you're pulling the string all the way through the string tree then winding. You need to leave about 2 or 3 inches of extra string before you start winding. That will give you less tension and better tuning stability.
Yea this just sucks because even for a cheap guitar it can produce a decent enough sound for practice..at least with the other strings but if I'm hitting a chord, that string just makes this inexplicable twang that overpowers chords and sounds horrible. It doesn't buzz.