So I was just flicking through universities and I was wondering which area had the best music scene?

I've always been told that Camden and Brighton are awesome so they are my two main choices.

Have you had experience in many different scenes/places or been told that a specific area is good?
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
New Jersey
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by willT08
But for real picking a Uni based on hearsay about a music scene is hella dumb

Oh yeah it is, The uni's are good as well I'm just wondering.
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
The local music scene shouldn't really be a factor for choosing a university unless you're doing a degree in Local Music Scene Studies.
I always heard Leeds and Sheffield had good music scenes, never been to either city though.

Newcastle barely has a music scene, I know that much.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Judging from how many excellent bands are from manchester, I'd say it must have a pretty good music scene.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
That one place with the music. I can't think of it.

Ohhhhh, you know...
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by captainsnazz
Huddersfield yo

But seriously it's 2013 and we have the internet so seriously who cares.

As far as I'm aware there's only one decent club in Huddersfield, let alone a music scene!

I want to say it's the Parish, but I was so shitfaced I can't remember the name! Rock club, probably 5 minutes from the train station.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by eGraham
That one place with the music. I can't think of it.

Ohhhhh, you know...

Thanks for your input
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
Quote by metacarpi
As far as I'm aware there's only one decent club in Huddersfield, let alone a music scene!

I want to say it's the Parish, but I was so shitfaced I can't remember the name! Rock club, probably 5 minutes from the train station.

Camel is a metal club on fridays and there's one other major club and a few smaller ones.
Parish is just a shite pub that plays dadrock at a ridiculous volume that I was forced to go to last friday cos my mate's band was playing there, ugh.

My first post was a joke, but actually Huddersfield University is pretty great for music and music tech. The course isn't really for me but that's just cos I lack interest in music nowadays.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Oct 23, 2013,
Belfast is pretty good these days some amount of great bands coming out of Norn Iron atm.
Come to Dover. We haven't got a music scene, but we've got #TopBantz.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by captainsnazz
Camel is a metal club on fridays and there's one other major club and a few smaller ones.
Parish is just a shite pub that plays dadrock at a ridiculous volume that I was forced to go to last friday cos my mate's band was playing there, ugh.

My first post was a joke, but actually Huddersfield University is pretty great for music and music tech. The course isn't really for me but that's just cos I lack interest in music nowadays.

I don't get out in Huddersfield often, being from Derby, but it was a Saturday night, it was some pub that had a back room for bands, and it seemed to be playing loads of late 90s early 00s stuff - perfect for me, given as I'm pushing 30!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
I don't get out in Huddersfield often, being from Derby, but it was a Saturday night, it was some pub that had a back room for bands, and it seemed to be playing loads of late 90s early 00s stuff - perfect for me, given as I'm pushing 30!

Aye that's Parish, although I didn't even know about the back room until last week. They have (or had) a pretty hilarious pub quiz on mondays but otherwise it's not for me.
What on earth would someone from not-huddersfield be doing in huddersfield anyway?
Quote by captainsnazz
Aye that's Parish, although I didn't even know about the back room until last week. They have (or had) a pretty hilarious pub quiz on mondays but otherwise it's not for me.
What on earth would someone from not-huddersfield be doing in huddersfield anyway?

One of my mates went to uni there, and ended up staying. Hence the odd night out up there!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by CrazyPigeon
People saying Bristol, really?

Massive Attack is from there right?
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by genghisgandhi
Rutgers University in the great state of New Jersey

you mean New Brunswick, NJ.

Rutgers hardly does anything outside of Pitbull concerts that result in people getting shot.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Varies really, but camden is a pretty big attraction for alot of punk and more emo types go there. But it can be pretty good...

Alot of areas are pretty mixed
an airport with flights to the US
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by genghisgandhi
if you want to die off shitty club molly maybe

I bet you've never even been to Manny
Quote by CrazyPigeon
People saying Bristol, really?

Yeah, this.

I mean, there's 1 or 2 decent venues that sometimes have something worthwhile but for the most part unless you can integrate yourself with a load of local artists and get in on their "scene", there's not much to be said.

As much as it pains me to say, you'd be better off up north somewhere like Liverpool or Sheffield.
Quote by genghisgandhi
m8 I'm the most manny non-mancunion in british history.

Quote by metacarpi
One of my mates went to uni there, and ended up staying. Hence the odd night out up there!

Sometimes get my beers being sold in Huddersfield you know...
Also. Not Sheffield, never Sheffield. There is nothing good to see or do in this city, I absolutely 100% promise you and it's not because you sound like an idiot who would skank up my city even more.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Bristol's an amazing city. It's always been said it has a great music scene, which is true to the extent there's always gigs on/always something to do. But yeah I don't feel like I'm directly part of a 'scene' here.

However there's a lot of good things on the horizon. If you like Doom/sludge/black/post/theactuallygoodpart of metal and hardcore, there's a festival next May called Temples Festival...and I highly reccomend you check it out.
One of the guys running/promoting it also puts on so many great gigs in Bristol.

Also Bristol has BIMM so lot's of new talent around eh?
Last edited by slayer_rule_\m/ at Nov 18, 2013,
York. We gave the world Elliot Minor, Asking Alexandria, With One Last Breath, One Night Only (the singer ****ed Emma Watson, probably) and Shed Seven.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Glasgow, obviously.

You can listen to bands like Frightened Atlantic or Twin Rabbit, or Cliffy Biro.

Quote by Trowzaa
York. We gave the world Elliot Minor, Asking Alexandria, With One Last Breath, One Night Only (the singer ****ed Emma Watson, probably) and Shed Seven.

And you've still not apologized.