I seem to have run into another problem with my amp.

The amp just doesn't sound the way it used to. I've always used the same settings in the amp, but now it sounds boxy and thin, rather than thick like it used to be. The amp is a 6505+ 112. The current tubes are all JJ's.

THe power tubes seem to be burning slightly more orangey than I may remember, although I'm not sure. I haven't looked behind the amp in a long time. I really don't know what to do- I did replace the tubes in this amp 6 months ago. I find it very unlikely that they need to be replaced after such a short period of time.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Unlikely, but not out of the question, and still the best diagnosis you can do.

Get a backup set of tubes (you'll need them eventually anyway) and see if those make a difference. Might want to swap out the power tubes all at once but the preamp tubes one at a time for a more particular indication of which tube is giving you trouble.
Okay, thank you.

I just don't know what is wrong with this amp. I've been using the same settings forever on this amp and it simply does not sound the same that it did. It baffles me.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How old is the amp? If you're having multiple issues it might be worth a shot to see if getting a new one under the warranty is a possibility?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Have you tried a different guitar, cable, or contact cleaner on the input jack? Just looking at this from the input side of things instead of the amp itself.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by JustRooster
How old is the amp? If you're having multiple issues it might be worth a shot to see if getting a new one under the warranty is a possibility?

Nope. Got the amp used. It's several years old and I've done several mods to it, i'll never get warranty service. I've already had to repair the amp myself in the past, but it was due to an unrelated issue- one of the bridge rectifiers overheated, which meant I no longer had any power going to the tubes. But that issue was fixed.
Quote by metalmingee
Have you tried a different guitar, cable, or contact cleaner on the input jack? Just looking at this from the input side of things instead of the amp itself.

I've checked all of these things. Different guitars, different cables etc. No change.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 23, 2013,