2.The Spider 10 min
3.Scale Picking 10 min
4,5. Two other technique practices of my choice 10 min each
6.Theory 15 min
7.Learn new Song/Riff/Solo of my choice 25 min
8.Practice and Learn new scales. 10 min
9.Practice Chords Changes and Rhythms 15 min

What do you guys do when practicing?
Did you get that from the Justin Guitar website? The spider and finger gym sound familiar. I don't have as structured of routine. I'm just a disorganized person. I try to focus on one thing for everyday. But if you notice improvement then it's good.
Quote by Markkhouzam
I want you guys to tell me your opinion about my practice routine:

1.Finger Gym 10 min
2.The Spider 10 min
3.Scale Picking 10 min
4,5. Two other technique practices of my choice 10 min each
6.Theory 15 min
7.Learn new Song/Riff/Solo of my choice 25 min
8.Practice and Learn new scales. 10 min
9.Practice Chords Changes and Rhythms 15 min

What do you guys do when practicing?

This would be better off in Guitar Techniques rather than here in EG.

That said... you need to spend more time playing music. Personally if I had the time any more I would spend maybe 10 minutes, 20 on a bad day, warming up a bit then go straight to learning music and theory. The more time you spend learning songs, improvising and generally learning more about actual music the better.

That's not to say you shouldn't work on technique at all, quite the opposite, but you should never separate it from learning music. You can improve your technique just as much as by playing exercises by learning music but at the end of the latter you have something you can actually use in a real world context. Things like the finger gym and the spider are all well and good but you're never going to use them outside of that bit of time.

Going by your same time scale I would say something like this is better:

1 - Warm up. 10 minutes or as long as you need.
2 - Learn music, including understanding the theory behind why it sounds the way it does and making sure your technique is good. 1 hour 35 minutes. Probably longer.

All that said... I have a full time job right now so I don't have much time at all to practice, which sucks because I feel like I'm getting worse.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by rybread3
Did you get that from the Justin Guitar website? The spider and finger gym sound familiar. I don't have as structured of routine. I'm just a disorganized person. I try to focus on one thing for everyday. But if you notice improvement then it's good.

Yes it's from the Justin Guitar website. It's really helpful, one of the best guitar sites out there.
Did you get my friend invite? I used to use it a lot, now I spend more time transcribing and writing.
Here's my practice routine:

1: Play what I want.

2: If I don't feel like playing, don't.

Now, obviously there's a happy medium between my laid-back, half-assed method and a super-efficient practice regimen which is probably the best of both worlds, and like zaphod I'm not saying you shouldn't practise technique and the like, but as he and ryanpeppers say, you need to be careful it doesn't turn into a chore. And as zaphod correctly says, you want to keep as much of it as you can musical, or at least music-related.

Now, obviously to a certain extent it depends on what you're like- if you enjoy those exercises, then have at it, kind of thing. But don't ignore the music, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 24, 2013,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

That said... you need to spend more time playing music. Personally if I had the time any more I would spend maybe 10 minutes, 20 on a bad day, warming up a bit then go straight to learning music and theory. The more time you spend learning songs, improvising and generally learning more about actual music the better.

Zaphod hit the nail on it's head, as usual.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, and i can certainly see it's use, but i really don't understand the people who sit and practice exercises all day long.

To me, practicing is more of trying to make myself as fluent in the language of music as i am in the language of swedish (since it's my mother tongue), and that's how i approach it.

I learned swedish by trying to imitate my parents and relatives growing up, as i tried i eventually began to form words that made sense, then i could construct sentences, and then i could start speaking fluently with a limited vocabulary, and now i can speak fluently with a huge vocabulary. I learned by listening and imitating.

If you treat music the same way it will be very benefitial. Try to imitate the music around you, the music you love, by ear. It will help you develop your playing from a technique point of view, a creative point of view and from a musical point of view. The more you do it the easier it will get to get music "flowing through you", connecting the mind, ears and instrument.

I hope that was helpful.
Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
My routine is pretty standard. 2-4 hours most days

Warmups:
15 min RH
15 min LH
15min Comping/Arpeggios with charts
15min Scales

Music:
~1 hour of jazz

~1 hour of covers, jamming, or original music

Fourth hour of whatever, time permitting.

I'd shoot for efficiency with the scale and chord practice. Get those standard 3 note per string patterns down and run them in circle of 5ths order, with different rhythms. When you're up to speed it should only take about 5 minutes to run through all 12 major scales.
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 24, 2013,
How boring.

Just play songs that you want to learn that you push your technique with.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Here's my practice routine:

1: Play what I want.

2: If I don't feel like playing, don't.

Now, obviously there's a happy medium between my laid-back, half-assed method and a super-efficient practice regimen which is probably the best of both worlds, and like zaphod I'm not saying you shouldn't practise technique and the like, but as he and ryanpeppers say, you need to be careful it doesn't turn into a chore. And as zaphod correctly says, you want to keep as much of it as you can musical, or at least music-related.

Now, obviously to a certain extent it depends on what you're like- if you enjoy those exercises, then have at it, kind of thing. But don't ignore the music, either.

This. 4/5 years ago I was intent on finding the ideal practice regime to improve my technique but I found it became a chore and I lost my passion. Nowadays I just play songs which I enjoy. I may not be able to play some technical stuff, but then if there's a song I enjoy a lot and I really have the ambition to learn it I will sit down and take it slowly. Otherwise, just jam, have fun, enjoy yourself. Don't make it a chore.
Quote by Mephaphil
How boring.

Just play songs that you want to learn that you push your technique with.

Someone shouldn't have to be told to choose interesting and challenging music; it's kind of a given. Having some sort of routine to build and maintain basic technique is pretty normal for advanced/professional players. The hour a day of "boring" stuff is well worth the skill you get from it, and your audience will certainly appreciate the effort.
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 24, 2013,
^ It is, but it depends on what you're playing, and it depends on what you're like as a person. It's well worth it if the music you play benefits from it, and if you're the kind of person who can do that kind of practising without getting bored/demoralised. Absolutely, if you're like that then I agree 100% it's worth it.

The problem is if you're not like that, or if the music you want to play doesn't really need it. It's not worth it if it makes you want to quit, lol.

EDIT: that being said I ran through a few speed exercises this morning for a laugh and holy crap, they actually work.

my big problem is i never remember to do them with any regularity.

but again, probably don't make them into a chore- a small amount of time on exercises which you can consistently do is normally better than taking on too ambitious drills which you give up within 3 days.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 25, 2013,
Thank you guys for the replies Well, I really enjoy doing technique exercise but I will try to add more music. I think the most important thing while practicing is to enjoy it. Right?
yeah, pretty much. within reason, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?