So I primarily play with my Christian Rock Band. We supply contemporary worship music for events that our church holds. Right now, I run through a digitech 355 multifx pedal. :/ It's alright, but by no means great. I'm highly considering saving up and buying new gear to improve my sound.

EDIT: I have changed my mind sort of... after being convinced that line outs are generally sub par. My last post was:

Thanks a lot guys, I really didn't know that emulated outputs, or line outputs affected tone so badly!

I'd love to get a Vox AC15C1 along with a Fulltone OCD, and i guess make a way to mic the amp well. but that brings me to another question.

Should I search for an amp that has good distortion and cleans? Or do distortion pedals normally sound good enough (as opposed to OD channels on a tube amp) when running into a tube amp?

I've heard people play through a Vox AC15 and they're glorious.

Original post:

I would LOVE to have an amp that doesn't need to be miced to go through a PA. Most of the time I wouldn't be able to turn an amp up loud enough to be efficiently miced.

I've heard of using the Orange Micro Terror's headphone out, and since its solid state power amp, I wont need a dummy cab.

I've also heard of Blackstar's HT 1 and 5. With emulated output, and 2 channels, they seem to fit what I want most right now. Having the option of a footswitch on the ht5 is SO GREAT

Tubemeister has RED BOX out in their tubemeister 5 or 18. The 18, again like blackstar ht5, has an option for footswitch which is GREAT (possible to mod a footswitch into the 5?). Only problem is the price on the 18. I'd love to get by much cheaper.

Are there others? I really want to explore my options here. Best case scenario is:

2 channels with footswitch
Great cleans in addition to great distortion
Built in Reverb
A direct way of recording and getting to a PA

I don't want to use distortion pedals because I love natural tube overdriven gain. Maybe an OD pedal for a boost. I might be able to get by turning up gain when I need it on a one channel though.
EDIT: I guess that if theres a great clean sounding tube amp with direct output, Throwing a pedal in for distortion isn't the worst thing

Thanks
Guitars: ESP LTD H-1001FM ACSB, Epiphone SG Special
Acoustics: Fender Hellcat, Mitchell 12-string
Amps: Roland Microcube, Peavey Vypyr 15W
Effects: Digitech RP355
Last edited by Newah at Oct 24, 2013,
To be honest, all speaker-simulated line outs suck, and you're not going to get the "real tube" sound that way, anyway. The only way to truly do what you want (well), is to either use an amp modeler, or run your amp through a Torpedo Live.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
To be honest, all speaker-simulated line outs suck, and you're not going to get the "real tube" sound that way, anyway. The only way to truly do what you want (well), is to either use an amp modeler, or run your amp through a Torpedo Live.

I disagree about the Tubemiester's line out. I thought it sounded pretty good, but I only listened to a handful of demos online. I also liked the emulated line out on the Jet City cabs. Granted I think most line out's aren't that stellar, but to each his own! I was gonna suggest the tubemiester myself.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
WTF is wrong with an SM57 in front of the speaker? The important part is getting the amp that sounds how you want. Restricting your choices due to an unimportant feature like a shitty DI facility is assinine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
WTF is wrong with an SM57 in front of the speaker? The important part is getting the amp that sounds how you want. Restricting your choices due to an unimportant feature like a shitty DI facility is assinine.

My buddy demos tracks with his JVM Direct out to his laptop, and its a real easy fix for bedroom recording, while he generally uses that for professional recording. Maybe the TS is looking to do that too? Who Knows. Recording seems to be something he is interested in
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Yeah I'm really interested in recording haha.

I understand it puts me at a disadvantage, but I want it.

So Jet City does well with line out? I really like their 22h amp. At this point, a Tubemeister, Blackstar, or Jet City sounds good to me.

EDIT: Looking at prices, I am a college student... so saving takes a while and bang for buck is what i'm focusing on here. Want to head over to a guitar shop soon if i can find time
Last edited by Newah at Oct 24, 2013,
I record bands for money and I wouldn't touch an emulated line out with a 30 ft. pole. Okay in a pinch for live sound, but not at all a substitute for a mic. You'd honestly be better off when recording to just run a 1/4" cable out of the FX Send and straight into a recording interface, loading a cabinet impulse on the track in your DAW.

I've used the H&K Red Box and Jet City JetDirect before, IMO they have no use in the studio, plugin amp simulators sound better
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Honestly, I've been in the same shoes (church sound guys seem to be the pickiest about stage noise), and I'd recommend either buying or making an iso cab (Jet City makes one for not a ton of money), or picking up a POD HD and downloading some good patches for it. There just isn't a good tube amp I've come across that does line out well (I found the Tubemeister heads to be....bland sounding. Nothing horrible, but nothing great).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by MatrixClaw
You'd honestly be better off when recording to just run a 1/4" cable out of the FX Send and straight into a recording interface, loading a cabinet impulse on the track in your DAW.

+1. This is a very good solution. You could even record completely silently as you can set the master at 0 and there's still signal at the FX loop. This probably applies to most if not all amps.
I use the red box DI on my tubemeister 18 for small gigs (in combination with an Orange PC112 cab). It's actually quite good. It doesn't beat the actual speaker, but its the best speaker emulation I have ever used (better, or at least more life-like than my Koch Studiotone).

I used a Blackstar HT-20 in the same way before I bought the TM18. My view is that the HT outputs just aren't quite there. Seems muffled and weak.

Go for the TM dude, you will not regret it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50's
Gibson Midtown Custom
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Telecaster Standard
Gretsch Corvette
Danelectro DC59

Crybaby | TS9 | Korg | Little Big Muff | PS-6| MXR Chorus | TC Spark| DL4
I'd get a better modeler - Kemper PA/AXE FX/ POD HD500x, or do as MatrixClaw suggested.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
What about an Iso cab and a decent head? That would be my choice for what your wanting
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 24, 2013,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I record bands for money and I wouldn't touch an emulated line out with a 30 ft. pole. Okay in a pinch for live sound, but not at all a substitute for a mic. You'd honestly be better off when recording to just run a 1/4" cable out of the FX Send and straight into a recording interface, loading a cabinet impulse on the track in your DAW.

I've used the H&K Red Box and Jet City JetDirect before, IMO they have no use in the studio, plugin amp simulators sound better

I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The line out was used in addition to the mic. Just how a few sound guys ran the sound. I'm thinking he just wanted to cut demos.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The line out was used in addition to the mic. Just how a few sound guys ran the sound. I'm thinking he just wanted to cut demos.

Even so, I'd rather mic an amp at low volume than use an emulated line out. I'll admit, haven't tried the JVM's line out... but I've owned several Marshalls in the past that had them and they were by far the worst sounding line outs I've ever heard
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks a lot guys, I really didn't know that emulated outputs, or line outputs affected tone so badly!

I'd love to get a Vox AC15C1 along with a Fulltone OCD, and i guess make a way to mic the amp well. but that brings me to another question.

Should I search for an amp that has good distortion and cleans? Or do distortion pedals normally sound good enough (as opposed to OD channels on a tube amp) when running into a tube amp?

Quote by Newah

I like an amp to have good cleans and good dirty sounds. I can expand on those with OD pedals and other FX.

But some people prefer running a clean amp with pedals for their dirt and it works fine for them. The main thing is get what you like and are comfortable with.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Egnator Rebel has a record line out, making a versatile head even more so for studio recording and what not