Page 1 of 2
Yeah so are there any hobbies or skills and stuff you wanna learn? Maybe we can help each other out

This isn't about how to do something though, it's about where to go and what to do to learn whatever it is. Like I was listening to this today and thought it'd be really cool to play piano. But I don't wanna learn with reading notes and stuff, I'd rather it be like how I play guitar where I can just kind of play whatever comes to me. Is that possible and what could I do to learn that?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
If you want to learn piano the way you learned guitar, just sit down at a piano and start hitting keys. Eventually, you'll figure it out. That's how I learned to play piano.
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
No

You must learn theory and musical notation to play piano
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
You must learn theory and musical notation to play piano

What? I can't play piano? What?! Why didn't anyone tell ME!?!
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
I can't tell if either or both of those are serious
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
It's neither and both simultaneously
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Come on this is semi-serious

and come on i know you guys are just dying to learn how to nunchuck a bitch or something
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
You wanna watch long ass videos on youtube about how to play x song go ahead. You wanna be a good pianist learn notation
Oh, fine.

I am still interested in learning the oboe, but no one here can help me, because I've asked before.

Likewise, I can't help you with the piano
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Bob there are a lot of adult-oriented piano books that mostly teach you chords and how to learn to play/read music quickly in relation to the chords. Similar to 'teach yourself guitar' books that teach you how to read music by teaching you chords first and then introducing the reading staff. Look for adult piano lesson books, especially ones centered around songwriting
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Weaponized
You wanna watch long ass videos on youtube about how to play x song go ahead. You wanna be a good pianist learn notation
Or figure it out yourself. You can do that too. Despite what they say.

Seriously, though. Music theory helps, certainly with writing your own music. However, trial and error can get you just as far in music, just not nearly as quickly. So if you wanna laze and skip the theory, my suggestion still stands. Bang your face against a piano, eventually you'll make sweet music.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Yeah so are there any hobbies or skills and stuff you wanna learn? Maybe we can help each other out

This isn't about how to do something though, it's about where to go and what to do to learn whatever it is. Like I was listening to this today and thought it'd be really cool to play piano. But I don't wanna learn with reading notes and stuff, I'd rather it be like how I play guitar where I can just kind of play whatever comes to me. Is that possible and what could I do to learn that?

Learn the basic chords and stuff. It's pretty damn east since the piano just keeps constantly repeating itself the whole length. You'll pick it up quickly
Quote by Weaponized

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I thought it'd pretty much be like learning guitar I might get one of those though eventually Vintage. Maybe I was just hoping for some "Piano Teachers Hate Us!" magic type deal

But someone else go
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by eGraham
Oh, fine.

I am still interested in learning the oboe, but no one here can help me, because I've asked before.

Likewise, I can't help you with the piano

Ron, teach me how to build a canoe!
I've always wanted to know how to smith. Always wanted to make replica arms and armor.
Anyone know the secret?
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I thought it'd pretty much be like learning guitar I might get one of those though eventually Vintage. Maybe I was just hoping for some "Piano Teachers Hate Us!" magic type deal

But someone else go

I'm not sure what you mean by "like learning guitar"

There aren't tabs or anything for piano, so you kinda need to learn to read music, unless you have a great ear I suppose. Like I said though, it's pretty easy.

And honestly, you'll have much more fun with it if you learn those things.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
I've always wanted to know how to smith. Always wanted to make replica arms and armor.
Anyone know the secret?

Shrink to 4'10" or below

Quote by WCPhils
I'm not sure what you mean by "like learning guitar"

There aren't tabs or anything for piano, so you kinda need to learn to read music, unless you have a great ear I suppose. Like I said though, it's pretty easy.

And honestly, you'll have much more fun with it if you learn those things.

Well with guitar I just learned some songs and messed around with them. After a while I just figured out what worked and what didn't and how to pretty much do exactly what I want. Are you able to do that, since you're good at piano? Or is piano not even like that unless you're the absolute best
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
Anyone know the secret?

I dont really know anything about that but i have used a forge and hammered metal that way. Its not that easy, a lot of waiting for it to heat up, hammering for 20 seconds, then waiting again... On the other hand its pretty cool to say you made something in a forge.
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
Quote by eGraham
Oh, fine.

I fuckin love the oboe

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Shrink to 4'10" or below

Well with guitar I just learned some songs and messed around with them. After a while I just figured out what worked and what didn't and how to pretty much do exactly what I want. Are you able to do that, since you're good at piano? Or is piano not even like that unless you're the absolute best

You can do that but it's kind of a dumb way to do it imo.
Take lessons once a week at a place and study and you'll have it in no time.
I always wanted to learn how to fly. i could've had my grandfather teach me, since he's been a pilot for 30+ years, but due to some medical complications he cant anymore. anyone a pilot around here?
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
I want to get handy with mechanics and repair, electrical work, and construction/carpentry.

I've gotten a little bit of experience with construction/carpentry and electrical, but nothing super serious. Just small oddjob fix-ups

I'd like to learn how to do it though so I can do it on my own
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Dimarzio45
Ron, teach me how to build a canoe!

Well first you have to find a tree. I recommend one that is fallen already.

Craft from that a handle, approximately 1.5 times the length of your forearm. This will be the handle to your new hatchet. Scavenge for scrap metals or angular-shaped rocks. When you find one that is solid and sharp enough, attach it to the handle with a knot fashioned in such a way that the sharpest edge of the rock or metal is not impeded.

Now that you have your own hatchet, cut down another tree. Keep in mind that a good canoe will fit you snugly but comfortably, so you want to find a tree with a circumference that is only slightly larger than your own. Cut down that tree. The longer it takes, the better, because that means you have found some quality wood.

After several hours of hacking, the tree should fall. Don't get smashed.

Now detach your makeshift blade from the hatchet handle and begin to dig a bowl out of the middle of the tree. Dig so that the sides remain uniformly thick, exceeding no more than two inches. Leave a rectangular groove in your carved bowl near the center, closer to the back, for your buttocks to rest on. If you so desire, you can form it to be slightly concaved to fit better.

Now that your bowl and seat are finished, find the vertical center of the log and begin to chip away towards the middle with your rock or scrap metal. Do this until you have broken through on all sides of the log, and remove the top half. Once this is done, you should have a product that loosely resembles a canoe, but it's not done yet.

Strip the bark from the remaining half of the canoe, and then carve the hull into a U-like shape to decrease drag from the water. You'll want to make sure that the two ends are more V shaped so that they can pierce the water more easily, and to prevent the build up of vorteces behind you, which may slow you or make steering difficult.

Now that your log is halved, de-barked, bowled, and shaped, you're ready to test its seaworthiness. Push it to the nearest lake or stream. Find a sturdy branch that is at least your own heighth in length and use it to push off the bottom of the body of water. If it floats, good job. You've made a canoe.

If it sinks, remember that a good captain goes down with his ship.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Oct 23, 2013,
Quote by iRoseAgainst
I dont really know anything about that but i have used a forge and hammered metal that way. Its not that easy, a lot of waiting for it to heat up, hammering for 20 seconds, then waiting again... On the other hand its pretty cool to say you made something in a forge.

And there's a bit of money in it too. Authentically made replica weapons have a nice price tag. There's a sharp start up cost, but good returns in the long run.

Also, there's tons of swords, axes, spears, and armor. Which basically means the awesomeness level is through the roof.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Quote by eGraham

Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
And there's a bit of money in it too. Authentically made replica weapons have a nice price tag. There's a sharp start up cost, but good returns in the long run.

Also, there's tons of swords, axes, spears, and armor. Which basically means the awesomeness level is through the roof.

Yeah, although all i made was a chisel out of rebar for my engineering/ fabrication... not quite as cool, but still a lot of fun.
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

But someone else go

Look up synthesia videos on youtube. They are like tabs kinda.
Quote by Weaponized
How do I get away with murder

No specific reason why just curious

I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill you, because the secret to getting away with murder is to not let anyone else know how to do it because once it becomes well known authorities would soon develop detection strategies based upon it.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Shrink to 4'10" or below

i;m 5'6" and fat. it creates an illusion of being shorter. does that count?
Quote by Trowzaa
i;m 5'6" and fat. it creates an illusion of being shorter. does that count?

It's not just an illusion.

We are literaly taller when we get up in a morning than when we go to bed at night because the acts of standing or sitting up during the day causes our spines to compress under the weight of our upper bodies, and it stands to reason that the more your upper body weighs then the more your spine will compress, so being overweight is quite literaly making you shorter.
I want to get better at woodworking. Right now I have nowhere to practice it, nor the money to afford tools.
If I ever have my own house someday I will definitely have a workshop in the garage to build things. I've been reading and watching videos about knife-making as well. I'm not big on knives but I think the crafting aspect of it is pretty cool. Might give that a go some day.

I also want to write and record original music. And design tube amps. There's a lot I want to do, but none of it will lead to any employable skills.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 24, 2013,
Quote by sashki
I want to get better at woodworking. Right now I have nowhere to practice it, nor the money to afford tools. If I ever have my own house someday I will definitely have a workshop in the garage to build things. I've been reading and watching videos about knife-making as well. I'm not big on knives but I think the crafting aspect of it is pretty cool. Might give that a go some day.

Speaking as an ex-blacksmith, I can tell you that if you can make knives then you can also make woodworking tools too, so you may want to give that a go first.
Remember, people were doing incredibly elaborate woodwork way before steel was even invented.
Quote by eGraham
Well first you have to find a tree. I recommend one that is fallen already.

Craft from that a handle, approximately 1.5 times the length of your forearm. This will be the handle to your new hatchet. Scavenge for scrap metals or angular-shaped rocks. When you find one that is solid and sharp enough, attach it to the handle with a knot fashioned in such a way that the sharpest edge of the rock or metal is not impeded.

Now that you have your own hatchet, cut down another tree. Keep in mind that a good canoe will fit you snugly but comfortably, so you want to find a tree with a circumference that is only slightly larger than your own. Cut down that tree. The longer it takes, the better, because that means you have found some quality wood.

After several hours of hacking, the tree should fall. Don't get smashed.

Now detach your makeshift blade from the hatchet handle and begin to dig a bowl out of the middle of the tree. Dig so that the sides remain uniformly thick, exceeding no more than two inches. Leave a rectangular groove in your carved bowl near the center, closer to the back, for your buttocks to rest on. If you so desire, you can form it to be slightly concaved to fit better.

Now that your bowl and seat are finished, find the vertical center of the log and begin to chip away towards the middle with your rock or scrap metal. Do this until you have broken through on all sides of the log, and remove the top half. Once this is done, you should have a product that loosely resembles a canoe, but it's not done yet.

Strip the bark from the remaining half of the canoe, and then carve the hull into a U-like shape to decrease drag from the water. You'll want to make sure that the two ends are more V shaped so that they can pierce the water more easily, and to prevent the build up of vorteces behind you, which may slow you or make steering difficult.

Now that your log is halved, de-barked, bowled, and shaped, you're ready to test its seaworthiness. Push it to the nearest lake or stream. Find a sturdy branch that is at least your own heighth in length and use it to push off the bottom of the body of water. If it floats, good job. You've made a canoe.

Bravo!
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
Anyone know the secret?

Go to blacksmithing school. They still exist, but I believe there arent that many actual schools left. The closest one to me is a state away.
Sail upon the open skies
how do i skateboard

i don't know any other way than to go out to a place where people could see me (including my driveway) and making an ass of myself
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill you, because the secret to getting away with murder is to not let anyone else know how to do it because once it becomes well known authorities would soon develop detection strategies based upon it.

you are right. which is why when you tell me i will kill you and hold all of the power
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
Anyone know the secret?

First off read this http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3328 and browse through the beginners section of the forums.

I looked into bladesmithing a while ago and the only reason i'm not currently making knives and such is because i can't afford the tools. The most expensive thing to get is the anvil, a half decent one will cost at least £200. You will be able to make a small charcoal forge quite easily, at the moment i've forgotten exactly how but if i recall it involves a metal bin, a copper pipe and some concrete, you should be able to find out how to make one on the bladesmiths forum.

EDIT: Actually a half decent anvil will cost at least £500, a cheap thing for basic smithing will cost about £200.

DOUBLE EDIT: A metal bin, a copper pipe and some quick dry cement or adobe. Not concrete.
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

Last edited by SaintVitus at Oct 24, 2013,
i wanna learn guitar someday
I have absolutely no technical or handyman capability. I want to learn about general electronics and electricity. *Possibly* if they have an application in music making. What do?

Quote by Mr E Meat
i wanna learn guitar someday

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
We're all alright!
Page 1 of 2