Hi, I'm looking for a good guitar for beginner. I'm choosing between Fender and Ibanez. What are your recommendations?
I have an Ibanez GRX20 that works fine as a beginner guitar. It's fairly well built and doesn't seem to have any glaring flaws I just couldn't really get attached to it for some reason. I couldn't tell you why to be honest. You could check that out.
The bottom line is that you should learn on a guitar that you like, both for sound and looks, to keep you motivated. To paraphrase a line from one of my favorite movies, "Play what you dig, man. Play what you dig." Many models would be fine and I haven't tried them all. That said, if you asked me which of *my* guitars you should try as your first "starter" guitar, I would hand you my Ibanez GAX 70. It's got a thin, comfortable neck and low string tension that makes it easier on the fingers in the beginning stages. I would put my Squier Affinity strat in the same category with respect to low string tension and easy to fret for a beginner (which is why I'm hanging on to it for my now 6 year-old son to use eventually). I'm sure that there are many guitars that would work equally well but these would be my two recommendations from the ones I have currently.
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Please answer these questions and we can help you.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by randomguy2000
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Please answer these questions and we can help you.

Budget - $500

Artists - Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, The Cure, Vertical Horizon, John Mayer, The Killers etc...

Preferences - Anything will do just not the V Shape.

Pickups - Humbucker

New or Used - NEW. It's hard to find a good used guitar in our country.

Location - Philippines
Last edited by Sylvanshine at Oct 24, 2013,