I'm trying to start back playing guitar again after not practicing for around 9 months due to a constant migraine. I still have that migraine but I've found a few things to make it easier to practice while having it. The main reason I mention about the migraine is that sometimes its worse and that causes me not to be able to practice when its at that point. So its a good chance that I wont be able to practice everyday even though I know its better to practice 30 minutes each day than practicing several hours one day a week. So I'm trying to plan out a good practice schedule to make the most of the time I have to practice. I've been using John Petrucci's Rock Discipline and Wild stringdom books looking for ideas on planning out a efficient practice schedule. In those books he mentions three parts of playing: the technical side which he describes as technical aspects of playing such as right and left hand technique and various other elements, The Musical Side which is more based around theory, and the Creative Side which is composing new music and lyrics. I want to create a practice schedule that contains all three elements of playing since I want to be a well rounded musician. I'm having trouble laying everything out so I get the most of the time I put in and creating a schedule that would actually be fun to practice. I currently know very little theory so if anyone has any suggestions on where to find some good lessons I would appreciate it. If anyone has any questions that may help with figuring out a decent practice schedule feel free to ask them.
Quote by Lord_Doku
The entire Spider line sounds like a trashcan getting humped by a fire truck while it's in the garbage disposal unit.

Basically...
Sorry to hear about the migraines. If you're ill, don't worry about it. I get very, very mild migraines (so mild I'm not even sure they qualify as migraines, though I also get "normal" headaches which feel a bit different so ) very rarely- I had one a few weeks ago, and I can tell you, playing guitar was the last thing on my mind. I'm not sure practising when you're feeling unwell is helpful, and I'm not sure making up a set schedule when you don't know how you're going to feel from day to day is a great idea either, because if you don't feel as well as you'd hoped, missing the schedule is only going to demoralise you.

Possibly coming up with a very basic but flexible schedule might be a decent idea. But I wouldn't really worry about anything too specific for the reasons I mentioned above.

I also would try to make it fun. When you're feeling unwell a lot of the time, the odd time you feel well you're so happy to be feeling good that you want to make the most of that time. Practising boring drills probably isn't the best way to do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I guess I wont worry about a schedule for now since it really wouldn't do any good with not being able to follow it on a day to day basis due to the migraine.
Quote by Lord_Doku
The entire Spider line sounds like a trashcan getting humped by a fire truck while it's in the garbage disposal unit.

Basically...
Yeah that's the problem. The other thing is, depending on your triggers, practising might make your migraine worse. I realise i'm in a far different position from you, I get them rarely enough that I can just not practise the (very) odd day I have one, and hope that by doing as little as possible it gets better as quickly as possible.

The other thing is, I'm not trying to put you off from having a schedule, either. I'm also kind of lazy There may well be people with similar migraines to you who manage perfectly well to have a schedule, so if you can find anyone like that who chimes in, listen to them before you listen to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?