I've been gigging with a Peavey Valveking 112 for the past few months, but it isn't really getting the sound I want. I play in a rock 'n roll band with a wide variety of sounds, ranging from classic rolling stones, zeppelin-ish riff based songs, classic country, and some songs that involve more distorted, spacey sounds during improvised portions. Oh, and I typically use a Telecaster, if that helps give you an idea.

I'm looking for an amp that will pair well with an overdrive pedal on its clean channel to get a good overdriven sound, but can also do some good distorted leads when needed. I don't want to have to switch channels mid-song, as that tends to screw with my levels and whatnot, so I'm thinking about just staying on the clean channel all the time and getting a distortion pedal for when I need to solo.
Also, I can't spend more than $1000.
I've heard good things about Fender amps, but I'm not sure which one would be best suited for what I'm doing. Any and all suggestions are welcome, including in reference to a good distortion pedal, as I've never needed one before.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Oct 24, 2013,
This whole post just screams Vox AC30 to me. You can find them used under your budget all day long, and it covers everything you listed.
Used Fender Twin Reverb and a good dirt pedal. Paired with your tele, you'll be able to emulate most tones from the eras you're playing just fine and with tons of volume.

I'm at work right now, but if you want I can try to find some soundclips of different styles from mine I have recorded here and there.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Vox AC15/30
Laney VC15/30
Krank Chadwick
Mesa Mark III
Peavey Classic 30/50

Most of these are 1/2 your budget normally if you go used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Definite +1 to a Peavey Classic 30 or 50. Very flexible amps.

A Marshall DSL401 might also be the way to go.

Channel switching on an amp is the same as using a dirt pedal, you have to dial in levels either way...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It sounds like you'd do well with a Fender Twin Reverb. You can find them used within your budget.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Add another one to the peavey Classic Series. Great great amps. Another recommendation I have is the Carvin V3m we have some at the studio I work at. They're insanely versatile.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Actually, what you described is right in the Valveking's wheelhouse. But I know what you mean. I used to own one. It is a decent amp, but unfortunately it is just decent.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Vox AC15/30
Laney VC15/30
Krank Chadwick
Mesa Mark III
Peavey Classic 30/50

Most of these are 1/2 your budget normally if you go used

That is a great list.
Thanks a lot for the responses, guys! I'll head down to GC this saturday and try out some of your suggestions. The Vox definitely sounds promising, but I'll try as many different amps from your lists as possible.

I actually used to have a Peavey Classic 30, but it had a real issue with buzzing once the volume got past a certain level. I agree it's a good amp, but I don't want to venture into that territory again.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

I actually used to have a Peavey Classic 30, but it had a real issue with buzzing once the volume got past a certain level. I agree it's a good amp, but I don't want to venture into that territory again.

That's not normal behavior. It could have been a million different things causing the buzzing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm thinking that with a speaker swap and a decent set of tubes you might be content with what you have already.

Edit: before you ask - Scumback
And JJ tubes with a nice NOS tube in V1.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification