Can someone explain what's going on in this video?

Edit: Apparently I can't post links yet: It's YouTube followed by:

...tube.com/watch?v=jPmH9joWq98

At first it sounded like a pretty pedestrian mix of barre chords and pentatonic melodies, until I paid more attention to his strumming hand and realized he's strumming the entire time, even when individual notes are clearly ringing out.

I've been playing off and on for a few years, learned a bunch of scales, chords, songs, decent music theory, etc., but I've never quite seen a technique like this.

If anyone could provide some details on what this technique is, how it's done, or even better, point me towards some decent literature on it (videos, articles, books, anything), I'd love to learn all I can about it. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by adrienfr at Oct 24, 2013,
Sorry, I realize this should be in Guitar Techniques. If someone could move it for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
He's raking, and just being precise with his picking hand.

He's muting everything that he doesn't want to play and then hits all the bottom strings in order to play the open note, so you get a strong attack and the muted strings behind to give it a beefier tone.

He really needs to work on his vibrato. But that was 3 years ago so he might be much better.

EDIT: I watched a few newer ones and it's kinda the same, but he does sound a bit better.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 24, 2013,
are you sure he's strumming all the strings there all the time? looks to me like he's not, but i dunno for sure even if he is he could be muting like Mephaphil says, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think he could be, but the quality is pretty low, so it's a little hard to see.

If he is, that's what he's doing.
yeah i could hardly tell either
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You basically mute all the strings with your fretting hand apart from the notes you want to play, I've always thought this to be a fairly common technique in blues rock circles.

I play like this regularly and taught myself from just copying other songs.

I think this is a way of playing you just got to try and play till you get better at it, reading is a brilliant way to learn a lot of things in music, but some times it's about trying to emulate what what you're hearing.
Fair enough, but I suppose my confusion is that I'm not sure what the point is. It "looks cool" that you're hearing a melody come from the guitar despite the appearance of strumming, but the sound is the same as if he were simply picking each note.

I know SRV used this technique (I suppose I have heard of it, now that I think about it), but wasn't the point in his case that he could get a scraping, textured sound?

Or is the point that you can get super fast melodies by playing almost like a sweep arpeggio? In either case I'm hearing neither crazy speed nor the rake texture sound in the video I posted, and yet he definitely appears to be "strumming" the melody somehow.

So anyway, like I said I think my confusion (in this case at least) is just what the advantage is of this over simply picking the notes like you normally would, which is also quite a bit easier.
Quote by adrienfr
Fair enough, but I suppose my confusion is that I'm not sure what the point is. It "looks cool" that you're hearing a melody come from the guitar despite the appearance of strumming, but the sound is the same as if he were simply picking each note.

I know SRV used this technique (I suppose I have heard of it, now that I think about it), but wasn't the point in his case that he could get a scraping, textured sound?

Or is the point that you can get super fast melodies by playing almost like a sweep arpeggio? In either case I'm hearing neither crazy speed nor the rake texture sound in the video I posted, and yet he definitely appears to be "strumming" the melody somehow.

So anyway, like I said I think my confusion (in this case at least) is just what the advantage is of this over simply picking the notes like you normally would, which is also quite a bit easier.

By doing it you can get a much heavier attack on the strings and to a certain point it removes a lot of the margin for error when you're playing live.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by adrienfr
In either case I'm hearing neither crazy speed nor the rake texture sound in the video I posted, and yet he definitely appears to be "strumming" the melody somehow.

The video you posted was recorded on a bad camera/mic, with the amp volume turned down, it's somewhat hard to hear the scrapes but they are there. Watch this video 2 mins in to hear it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPkIJ2UKuT8
Last edited by Malchius at Oct 25, 2013,