Not sure if there is a thread for this but my laptop is dying on me and I need a replacement. I got this one before I was doing much music editing but it now sees a lot of use from that.

Went to Best Buy and they weren't much use, they told me about graphic cards for animation/games but didn't seem to know much about music.

I'm looking to spend around $700, probably a laptop (for portability) with Windows.

Thanks

PS please do not turn this thread into an Apple vs Windows flamefest!
Does it have to be a laptop?

Like REALLY HAVE to be a laptop? You lose a lot in terms of performance when you make it a laptop, especially when it comes to recording. You have to specifically buy desktop replacement laptops for the faster hard drives, standard laptops run slower than desktop in terms of rpm, meaning that any real benefit you'd gain from their portability is nullified by the fact that you end up with next to no battery life.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

Like REALLY HAVE to be a laptop? You lose a lot in terms of performance when you make it a laptop, especially when it comes to recording. You have to specifically buy desktop replacement laptops for the faster hard drives, standard laptops run slower than desktop in terms of rpm, meaning that any real benefit you'd gain from their portability is nullified by the fact that you end up with next to no battery life.

I was thinking of a tower actually. What do you recommend?

If I got another laptop I wouldn't be recording on the go, it' be carrying it around for other purposes.

I may end up getting two computers as I run a YouTube channel with my wife. I do most of the music and she does most of the graphics stuff.
Last edited by Huge Guy at Oct 24, 2013,
Really it's rather simple, a decent CPU I5 is probably the minimum I'd be willing to go with. Lot's of RAM - the faster the better, so DDR3. Large hard drive space for files. Graphics cards are good, even just a basic ones, just to take the graphics processing off of the CPU.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I recommend these specs:

Desktop: Core i5 or i7, AMD FX Series for processor/8+GB of RAM/7200 RPM hard drive of at least 750GB.
Laptop: Core i7/8+GB RAM/7200 RPM hard drive of at least 750GB.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Actually cpu doesnt have to be i5 or i7. Amd fx 6 core (almoust half of price of intel processors) is very good for that but you need lots of memory and hd space. Over 8G fast ddr3 memory and hd:s doesnt cost much so 60-250G ssd for windows and 1-2T normal for programs and music
Quote by Laeh666
Actually cpu doesnt have to be i5 or i7. Amd fx 6 core (almoust half of price of intel processors) is very good for that but you need lots of memory and hd space. Over 8G fast ddr3 memory and hd:s doesnt cost much so 60-250G ssd for windows and 1-2T normal for programs and music

I did mention the FX Series lol. I'm fairly certain they don't have them for laptops though since they are incredibly power hungry.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Our live recording machine uses a low-end i3 and it handles 26 inputs at 24/48, CPU isn't nearly as important as folks make out. I've got an FX-6300 in my home rig and it'll handle anything you throw at it.

Any modern CPU, 4GB or 8GB RAM and a 7200rpm is going to do the job fine.
Quote by kyle62
Our live recording machine uses a low-end i3 and it handles 26 inputs at 24/48, CPU isn't nearly as important as folks make out. I've got an FX-6300 in my home rig and it'll handle anything you throw at it.

Any modern CPU, 4GB or 8GB RAM and a 7200rpm is going to do the job fine.

The issue really isn't inputs - any modern cpu can handle that. It's plugins that kill it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I would say you would get a bit more punch our of a Mac and you can find some good Imacs for $700 or lower that will do a good job. Just search craigslist and ebay. Nothing against PCs I am just use to Macs because I worked in studios that only use Macs.
Quote by Mattattack811
I would say you would get a bit more punch our of a Mac and you can find some good Imacs for $700 or lower that will do a good job. Just search craigslist and ebay. Nothing against PCs I am just use to Macs because I worked in studios that only use Macs.

This is useless advice I'm afraid. Moving to a new operating system is a big decision - you're sacrificing a lot of software, plugin and hardware compatibility so it needs to be an informed and considered choice with clear benefits to your way of working.

You'll get far less 'punch' out of any Apple system because they're so expensive to begin with. Very much a luxury item - if you like OSX or Logic and can afford it, great but it's not good value for money at all. A Mac can easily cost twice as much as a Windows/Linux PC using identical parts.
Last edited by kyle62 at Oct 27, 2013,
There is also no benefit to using a Mac.

Despite what they're marketing might tell you, they do crash, often disastrously and are not any better for creative work than a Windows machine.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire

Solid state hard drive. 10 second cold boot and instantaneous application/plugin loading. Solved.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
so are you actually recording or just audio editing?

also, you definitely don't need a graphics card if you're not gaming. they're only useful for loading large textures and 3D rendering/PhysX type stuff. good way to take a couple hundred bucks out of the price of a system is to not get one.

if you're feeling adventuresome check out maximum pc online and pcpartpicker.com . You can build your own system quite easily. The September recommended budget system comes to $665 minus the graphics card and this thing would haul ass.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
You could probably get by just fine with an i3, 8GB RAM and a 7200 RPM HDD unless you use a lot of effects and plugins.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by crabstampede
so are you actually recording or just audio editing?

also, you definitely don't need a graphics card if you're not gaming. they're only useful for loading large textures and 3D rendering/PhysX type stuff. good way to take a couple hundred bucks out of the price of a system is to not get one.

You don't need a good one, but a separate graphics card will take some load of the CPU that can then be used for your sessions.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
$700? Do both.

Watch this...

Any off-the-shelf desktop tower will do you just fine. Even consider something used. I'm running an AMD dual-core Windsor (about 2.5Ghz or so) with 4GB RAM and Win7. I don't do a ton of VST instruments, but I do as many audio tracks as I need, with as many plugins as I need, and have never had a problem. I've run projects over 30 tracks of 24-bit audio. Get that for about $300.

Then, spend $400 on a laptop that, unless you're doing heavy video work, should do what you need it to do.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.