Hi there.

There's a chance that I might moved to UK during the next year and I was wondering what schools would be good for studying music (I'm currently studying that), what are the prices and if you can work (I would live by myself) and study at the same time.

Cheers.
Yeah. These are the kind of things you typically research before you decide to move to a different country..
Hey cool I might be moving there next year too. Where are you going to study?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I'm at Huddersfield and it's pretty good for music. And by the way, don't call universities schools over here, you're only going to confuse people.
I'm just going to take a guess from looking at your avatar though, and I'd say you're probably pretty into metal and you're very enthusiastic about your music and stuff. That doesn't always line up well with an academic interest in music, which is what university music is about, and in fact I'd say it's usually the case that it doesn't. So look into it a bit more and seriously think about it.
@Wormholes. I did I bit of a research and this is not sure for the moment, that's why I said "a chance".
@Swannie, no idea because I didn't choose any, all of this it's just in plans and nothing is certain
@captainsnazz, yep, I meant Universities, sorry about that.

Don't worry about my avatar. I like stoner, punk, grunge, brit pop, classic rock, hard rock, indie, acoustic, folk, gospel, blues...and so on...In fact where I'm studying it's basically blues, jazz, and some classical music. I have no problem studying "the music that the universites told you".
RCM- Royal College of Music in London

but it would be predominantly, if not strictly classical/orchestral music I think.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
As Snazz said, Huddersfield Uni is good for music (I had an unconditional offer for there a while back, which means I'd probably have known Snazz in person but changed my mind during my gap year ), I believe BBC Music have strong ties with the place (?).

Other than that, things have changed since I was looking for stuff like that, but I got through the initial interview stages for a place called Guitar X (part of a group of schools in the same place, other two being DrumTech and VocalTech) in Acton, London which is supposed to be very good, but I decided performance wasn't a course I needed or wanted to do (was already Grade 8 guitar at that point).

Also look at Brighton Institute of Modern Music (commonly called BIMM), they have a very good reputation.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I've found this one, searching a little bit more.
http://www.bimm.co.uk/manchester

And it's really similar to what I study here. The bad news it's that, altough I don't know what is or not is expensive in UK, it seems pretty expensive anyway. ( £5,950 per annum)
Quote by SrThompson

And it's really similar to what I study here. The bad news it's that, altough I don't know what is or not is expensive in UK, it seems pretty expensive anyway. ( £5,950 per annum)

Didn't realise they had 4 campuses now - I only knew of the original one they get the name from, in Brighton

Anyway, that is actually quite cheap now (assuming it's a degree you [probably] intended to link to ) as fees can be as high as £9k pa, but are often around £7k I believe. Will have to wait for current university students to confirm that though.

You can get funding though, too - student loans, and also maintenance grants (unless they scrapped those) depending on your household income.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
i know a few people who go to ACM and Tech Music School and they rate both of them pretty well
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
i know a few people who go to ACM and Tech Music School and they rate both of them pretty well

I go to ACM, shit is cash but you wont learn theory like you'd expect. ACM preps you more for being an artist who aims to turn their music into a career. Good thing about ACM is that their courses are shorter than most but have the same content, so a 3 year uni degree is fitted into 2.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Depends on where you are coming from. You may need a tier 4 visa. You can't earn money with one of those. You also need money in your account to prove you can afford to live here, it's a few thousand. There are a lot of hoops to jump through. They are already processing 2014/15 applications. I recommend you do a lot of research soon and get everything sorted.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by Blayney
Depends on where you are coming from. You may need a tier 4 visa. You can't earn money with one of those. You also need money in your account to prove you can afford to live here, it's a few thousand. There are a lot of hoops to jump through. They are already processing 2014/15 applications. I recommend you do a lot of research soon and get everything sorted.

Yes you can. It says right on my visa that I can work 20 hours a week during term.

I just went through the whole process and honestly it's not that bad if you get your shit figured out.

EDIT - Oh you live in Argentina? I know a kid from Mexico here who says that coming from South America is a nightmare, so good luck.
Quote by SrThompson

STAY AWAY FROM BIMM.

I live in Manc, they were that desperate for students last year they gave me an offer with one E grade A level and 4 AS levels. If you're going to Manchester check out RNCM (classical though), SSR or Futureworks.
Good to see you're coming to the North though, beats the South hands down
Silverburst
Yep I'm from Argentina but I have EU citizenship/passport (most of family was/is from Slovenia) so I think that I don't need a visa. For what I search I have to present me somewhere, saying what are my intentions and then show them a proof (i.e, if I want to work, show them a payslip)
Insanity I don't understand what you mean with the levels.
Blayney, I realize that and it's not bad, cause if I have one year to start it's great, so I could settle down, find a job, rent a place, etc etc.
You won't need a visa but you'll still be a foreign student as you don't have residency here, which means you'll pay the foreign student fee rates.

Brighton is a great place to be a student, Canterbury also. And of course, London.
Quote by Mephaphil
You won't need a visa but you'll still be a foreign student as you don't have residency here, which means you'll pay the foreign student fee rates.

Unless he comes to Scotland, iirc as an EU student he may not have to pay fees. Although maybe not as he doesn't live in the EU.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Basically the levels are too bad to get me into any university - but BIMM were offering anyway.
I think the grades I got are the equivalent to what you'd leave with from middle school? Whatever comes before uni anyway
Silverburst
Quote by Hydra150
Unless he comes to Scotland, iirc as an EU student he may not have to pay fees. Although maybe not as he doesn't live in the EU.

Only the Scottish or those resident in Scotland don't have to pay fees, anyone outside of Scotland have to pay fees. I couldn't tell you the rates though.
Quote by Mephaphil
Only the Scottish or those resident in Scotland don't have to pay fees, anyone outside of Scotland have to pay fees. I couldn't tell you the rates though.

I believe you're mistaken, from some website;
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-scotland/
If you come from the (non-UK) EU, EEA or Switzerland, or if you’re the child of a Turkish worker in the UK
  • If you satisfy eligibility requirements you will be able to apply to SAAS for payment of your tuition fees.

edit: also check out the Residence section here;
http://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/pg/eligibility.htm
Residence – European Union students

To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the EU, the EU overseas territories, elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

You must also be an EU national (non UK) or the family member of such on the relevant date.

so yeah, looks like you'd need to be a resident in the EU as well as have EU citizenship, most likely rules TS out
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Just check as well that if you work and study and you earn more than £144 (or somethink like that) I'll have to pay a tax....and all the info that you showed me...for now it looks more like a pain in the ass going to study there...maybe I'll finish here and then see what I'll do....Cheers guys anyway.
Quote by Hydra150
I believe you're mistaken, from some website;
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-scotland/

edit: also check out the Residence section here;
http://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/pg/eligibility.htm

so yeah, looks like you'd need to be a resident in the EU as well as have EU citizenship, most likely rules TS out

That's crazy. I mean, it's good and in my opinion, right, but how can they afford that? There's huge economic problems in Scotland and they want to leave the UK. I thought it would be difficult enough for them to support their own, but everyone else?

There will be some unfortunate U-turns ahead, unfortunately.
Quote by Mephaphil

Brighton is a great place to be a student, Canterbury also. And of course, London.

It's really not that great here tbh, as a student town it's quite poor.
I used to live there and I went to college there. I had a great time, it was 12 years ago so maybe it's changed but the Hobgoblin, Beer Cart Arms etc had live music all the time, there were bands all over the place, loads of arty stuff going on, a good skate scene, great food and just loads of stuff to do.

I know a few people who still live there and they stayed there because they love it. Whenever I go back there I have a good time.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Just move to Leeds, UK

Living up to your username.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan