Hey guys, need some advice. Gonna drop my schecter omen to B so I can jam on some Type O Negative. I did it before on another guitar by installing the bottom 6 strings from a 7 string set. Is this a good idea or would it be better to get a heavier 6 string set, like 12s or something? I know I have to change the intonation and setup, this is not an issue for me. I decided on my schecter because it's my only 24 fret guitar.
Any thoughts?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I would go for at least .11's. Personally, I prefer .12s for tuning down to B, but that's personal preference.
Youre on the right track with the seven string set. What i would do is look at your current/favourite string set, and look at what he 2nd string ist. Thats the gauge i would suggest.

So, for me, i use 10s for standard E. If i want to tune to B, I'd want 13s
Using the lowest strings on 7 string set is a sure way to get you close, but most of the 7 string sets are quite crappily balanced. The low B string tends to be floppy, much looser than the low E and A strings. On my 7 string I ended up combining strings from two sets for that reason.

13-62 D'Addario is perfect for B Standard on normal scale guitars. Very well balanced set and just the right amount of tension for that low tuning. If you need to go to C then 12-60 is an alternative. Still good tension for B but not a murderous tension for C.

This is just my (and my fingers) opinion.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 25, 2013,
I use D'Addario 12-60s on a 6 string dropped down to A, they work fine for me and stay in tune well, but I would probably suggest going for a fractionally thicker gauge
I have nothing important to say
D’Addario sells .013 and .014 baritone sets for this reason. Amazon and Just Strings carry them.
http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

Look at page 6 and find the low E gauge and tuning you use now. That is your current tension. Then look at the tuning you want and find the same tension. That will be the gauge you will want to use.

For EX:

A .46 tuned to E = 17.5 lbs
A .60 tuned to B = 17.1 lbs

So to keep the same feel you would go to a .60 low E string set.
I used Dunlop Extra Heavy set (.13 - .54) on my strat (25.5" scale) to get a Standard C tuning, tension is a little bit too high (strings are somewhat difficult to bend) but I got used to it... plus I'm more of a rhythm guitarist so its not a problem for me.

So, if you want to tune down to Drop B a .54 guage (from the Dunlop set) on the 6th string would be enough but I'd suggest you to use a lighter guage on the other 5 strings... maybe a .11 set... cause .13 - .54 are meant for Stantard B tuning on 6 strings guitars.
Thanks all. Lots of great help.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Probably just my personal preference, but if you want a tight B, I'd go with something thicker. I used to tune to Bb and I needed a .70 to get the tone I wanted. That being said, I would never attempt to go to B Standard with anything lower than a .13 set, but I play with .11s in standard so that may be the reason.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more