Very shortly I will be moving into a new house with integral garage.

My plan is to soundproof it as much as I can so I can really give it some!!

I'm thinking if ,space allows, building a floating room within a room - does anyone have any experience of doing this and is it worth it? If you have done it and think its rubbish, what have you done instead?

Any ideas welcome, except egg boxes cause that's sound treatment not soundproofing! Besides which a rediculous fire hazard!
Yup done it before. It all depends on your budget. There are ways to reduce noise leakage and then there are ways to professionally soundproof the garage. So you can try these:

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=soundproofing&linkCode=ur2&tag=wwwviktorandr-20&url=search-alias%3Daps

https://www.soundproofcow.com/Soundproofing-Materials/?gclid=CJjqhqKosroCFa47MgodzF4Aug

I wouldn't recommend the egg carton method, although it certainly won't make things worse. The first thing you should do is look for any holes in the walls. Any direct path to the outside is going to leak a large amount of sound so fill those up properly. Windows are definitely a weak point (if you have them in your garage). Changing the location of your equipment within the room can also have a small impact (every little bit helps).
Thanks for the links mate, worth checking out though it looks a bit expensive but then I suppose doing it properly will always be!

My initial idea was to just lash loads of carpet to the walls while I could afford to do it out properly, but I'm a realist and know that if I do then I will never get around to doing it (mostly due to time and monetary restrictions)

So now I'm thinking go balls out right from the start even though it means it'll probably be ages before I get it up and running - in the long run it'll pay off

So any info on building the room within a room and what the best practices and materials to use are would be greatly received

How did you do yours?
My friend and I just used guides we found off the internet with some sporadic advice from my former guitar teacher who had done this numerous times. We learned pretty quickly to look up a number of "how to guides" and piece them together because some had terrible advice. Easy things to overlook are ventilation (obviously for breathing purposes but just as important to counteract the moisture factor). Here's an excerpt of one guide that helps (http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-soundproof-studio-in-11-easy-steps/?ALLSTEPS):

Most soundproofing is done with the 'room within a room' principle in mind: construct a separate room within the original building with minimal contact. If space allows, run a new wall of high-density concrete blocks internally, mounted on thin neoprene (a type of synthetic rubber compound) so that the blocks are not directly on the floor.

Tie them to the outer walls using acoustic wall ties and, once you have soundproofed the original roof using mineral wool placed between the beams and a couple of layers of plasterboard mounted on resilient channel, do the same thing again on a second roof mounted to the new internal wall.

These internal walls can then have 2x2 timber attached vertically, again mounted on neoprene, and after pushing in 2" thick mineral wool inbetween the studs, our two layers of plasterboard can be fitted onto resilient channel. Finally (phew!), all surfaces should be sealed with decorators caulk – a small hole in the surface, which can be caused by cracks around the surface of a wall, can compromise its efficiency by up to 50 percent.
That's pretty cool mate

Gives me a good idea of the work involved and the timelines I'm gonna need, cheers

What was the ultimate end result on yours, does it cut the proverbial mustard?