C C# D D#

Don't look for all those notes in one scale. You've got a chromatic run which is quite common in that genre of music.

Instead, listen for the resolution. Try to figure out if the song overall is major or minor. (That can be hard when you have a lot of distortion and chromatic runs). Use that to guide you to your home scale, but recognize that you're not going to just be playing the notes of that scale.
Yeah, I figured some of the notes were passing tones. The key of the song is F# minor. I'm tuned to 430 so its actually "F" technically.
That's not a scale. It has lots of chromatic notes.

Oh, and to me it sounds like you are playing G minor over your F# minor track. The scale is actually G harmonic minor (with an added b5 note). But yeah, IMO the melody sounded like G minor, even though it was over an F# minor riff. Though your riff also has a G chord and somehow it feels like that's your key center when there's the melody over it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah, sounds a lot better.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Rule of thumb: exactly one of each note name for regular major/minor scales with 7 notes.

Your original scale, G harmonic minor, is properly spelled G A Bb C D Eb F#. Notice, each of the 7 different notes is represented, whether natural, flat, or sharp.

When you add in an extra note, you get to decide based on the context which note it "duplicates". Whether it's a C# or Db depends what notes come before and after, or what the chords are.

When trying to find the relevant scale, always think first of your basic major and minor scales. Pretty much everything is based on those.
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 27, 2013,