Her family has to deal with that the rest of their lives. She doesn't, she's dead. I think it's good that they were removed.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I think they look ridiculous, cost way too much, and make no sense, but I don't feel I should have the right to condemn how someone wants to grieve a loved one as long as it harms nobody else, which, ostensibly, this doesn't. That said though, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this doesn't make another grieving family uncomfortable or upset, so I understand why they're taking them down.

It pisses me off though they they gave permission only to take it away because an employee "made an error in judgement." What was there to misunderstand about "Giant spongebob tombstone" that made him think it would be okay? He's costing them emotionally as well as monetarily for how much they paid for those things. It's bullshit.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
I think they look ridiculous, cost way too much, and make no sense, but I don't feel I should have the right to condemn how someone wants to grieve a loved one as long as it harms nobody else, which, ostensibly, this doesn't. That said though, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this doesn't make another grieving family uncomfortable or upset, so I understand why they're taking them down.

It pisses me off though they they gave permission only to take it away because an employee "made an error in judgement." What was there to misunderstand about "Giant spongebob tombstone" that made him think it would be okay? He's costing them emotionally as well as monetarily for how much they paid for those things. It's bullshit.

They're being reimbursed for the cost of the originals as well as paying for the replacements for them.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
They look pretty awful and are incredibly obnoxious, of course they should have been taken down - a graveyard is no place for tack like that

Oh, and the fact she's a veteran is utterly irrelevant.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
So having a giant gaudy statue of your favorite sky fairy is any different? Spongebob is hardly offensive, it's not like it's a giant Swastika. If it made her happy then I see no reason to remove them.
Quote by badfish_lewis
So having a giant gaudy statue of your favorite sky fairy is any different? Spongebob is hardly offensive, it's not like it's a giant Swastika. If it made her happy then I see no reason to remove them.

You could make a stronger case for a swastika being allowed; at least that would be representative of something important in that person's life.
Quote by Todd Hart
They look pretty awful and are incredibly obnoxious, of course they should have been taken down - a graveyard is no place for tack like that

Veterans are more important to Americans for whatever reason.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I've always believed that short of if it negatively affects anyone no one should tell you how to spend your money and if that's what they wanted then why the hell not. Who's anyone to say how you should grieve a loved one anyway its not like that's an offensive statue which is the only reason a tombstone should be taken down. I personally think it'd be obnoxious of another family to complain about the way this family wanted to commemorate their daughter. And if its just because how big it is the cemetery should have size restrictions on tombstones and no one would have this problem.
Quote by Todd Hart
You could make a stronger case for a swastika being allowed; at least that would be representative of something important in that person's life.

Of course the cemetery had already approved the statue's and only took them down after the outrage. Imo it's the cemetery's fault for approving it.
Though I don't see how they made a mistake to begin with.. Graveyards aren't public property. If the owners don't want it there they have every right to get rid of it then. If the family doesn't like it they can ask for the body back and put those ugly ass gravestones in their own yard.
Quote by strictly-diesel
I've always believed that short of if it negatively affects anyone no one should tell you how to spend your money and if that's what they wanted then why the hell not. Who's anyone to say how you should grieve a loved one anyway its not like that's an offensive statue which is the only reason a tombstone should be taken down. I personally think it'd be obnoxious of another family to complain about the way this family wanted to commemorate their daughter. And if its just because how big it is the cemetery should have size restrictions on tombstones and no one would have this problem.

It does negatively affect people, people don't want to go pay their respects to a dead loved one and see, next to their grave, a seven-foot statue of a cartoon character.

Graveyards are places for seriousness - if you don't want your death to be serious then don't get buried in a graveyard.
Quote by Todd Hart
It does negatively affect people, people don't want to go pay their respects to a dead loved one and see, next to their grave, a seven-foot statue of a cartoon character.

Graveyards are places for seriousness - if you don't want your death to be serious then don't get buried in a graveyard.

graveyards are too serious. the one where my grandfather is buried could use a spongebob statue. or a paid clown to hand out balloon animals.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Wow.

What a send off to the great jellyfish fields in the sky.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Todd Hart

Agreed on all counts. However, the controversy is because they at first allowed it and then took it down.

I think in such cases, the original decision should stick. If they can't get it right the first time, there's no need to cause unnecessary upset to the family by contradicting their initial decision.
I wonder if her last words were "I'm READY!"

I like to think they were.
Quote by snipelfritz
I wonder if her last words were "I'm READY!"

I like to think they were.

Quote by Todd Hart

Why not? People should be aware of the possibility of huge tombstones being there when they pick a graveyard that allows it and why should anyone care about the tombstones other than the ones they're there to see if they're not even remotely offensive. Cartoon themed gravestones are made for children all the time.

Who's to say how the remembrance of someones death should be treated if they want to remember their daughter in a more lighthearted manner to help them cope then no one should object to that.
Quote by strictly-diesel
Why not? People should be aware of the possibility of huge tombstones being there when they pick a graveyard that allows it and why should anyone care about the tombstones other than the ones they're there to see if they're not even remotely offensive. Cartoon themed gravestones are made for children all the time.

Who's to say how the remembrance of someones death should be treated if they want to remember their daughter in a more lighthearted manner to help them cope then no one should object to that.

They're welcome to, but they can **** off to some gimmicky, tacky graveyard somewhere else.
Quote by Todd Hart

Graveyards are places for seriousness - if you don't want your death to be serious then don't fucking die.

ftfy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Mephaphil
It's a tricky one. To respect the living or the dead.

Only the living will be offended if you fail to respect the dead.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
Only the living will be offended if you fail to respect the dead.

But what about Schmidty Werbermannjenson?

He was number 1!
Quote by Todd Hart

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I want my gravestone to be a giant penis. And my epitaph would be "1:1 scale of his member."
I never understood the whole "respecting the dead" thing. I'm pretty sure they don't mind. I, personally, don't want a grave,
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang