Page 1 of 2
A couple of weeks ago my mum got a new iPhone so she let me have her old one. I've been experimenting with it but I've since decided that I'm just not a fan of smart phones. I don't really like the idea of being connected to the internet 24/7 and I also just missed being able to text without even looking. Plus, they're just so much bigger so it's a bit of a pain when you're wearing trousers with smaller pockets.

My phone is a Nokia I bought brand new in 2011, so it's not exactly that old, but I can't see myself upgrading to a smart phone anytime soon.

I was just wondering if anyone else here still uses those kind of phones? I don't know many at all that do.
I've had smartphones for like 4 years now and I've never looked back.
Check out my band Disturbed
I used to have an old Nokia but i had to change it due to some technical problems that we both had :p Now i use a Sony smartphone and i kinda like it.
I'm still using a first-generation Droid. Some of the apps bog it down, but everything else works fine on it, and I'm poor, so I have no reason not to use it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I like old cellphones, so far, I've been using cellphones for almost 10 years and always were the "old ones".
My parents from time to time they say to me "do you want my old cellphone? or don't you want a new cellphone?" and I said "no". I don't like to be connected to internet 24/7.
I see people everyday on buses, meetins, bars, etc and they're all the time with the phones...I don't want to be one of those people.
i kept my old phone until it broke completely in 2011 or so. then upgraded to a smart phone and started wondering why i didnt do it sooner.

you can still not look when you type, considering the auto correct, and not all smart phones are big. mine is pretty small. you probably just dont like what ever version of the iphone that is
sorta old phone right here. some free-with-a-contract samsung from...2008? it has a crappy resistive touchscreen.

i do like the size though, that's my only complaint with current smartphones. almost all of them are so big - i initially even thought the iPhone was too big. i just want a device that is a phone first. i don't care about being constantly connected to the internet either.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Before I had my iPhone I forgot about everything, I spent a whole lot more time on my computer (now I just check my phone for a few minutes and that's it), it was such a drag when I had to wait (now I can play games, write songs, etc)...
But yeah, I'm only 20 but I miss the times when we could be alone. Like really alone, without the internet and when we still had some privacy.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I've been using a Blackberry since 2010. Only upgraded once, last year. It's still pretty old tbh. I had an old Samsung slide phone which was okay but the browser sucked on it. At least on my Blackberry, the things I used have their own apps. I have all my email accounts on here plus some newspaper apps I check regularly. Twitter and Facebook too just for leisurely time killing.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Been using smartphones for a few years, but I just started getting touch screen ones two years ago. I don't ever spend more than 100 though cause all I do is use it for text/web browsing/calls and that's it. I don't think I could go back to an old one though. But I do wish more companies would make phones with keyboards. I hate touchscreen.
if I broke my phone i would just get a cheap one right now. They sell like 20$ phones that just do the basic shit
I use this:

I got it in like...2010? Which was an upgrade from a flip phone that had it's screen bug out. I don't like it. It's slow, it randomly rings (seriously, not just my imagination), and a lot of the buttons afd stuck and have to be crammed down.

Although, I could never justify spending so much money on a smartphone.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Rocked an original Moto Razr for 5 years. And it still works as a backup phone, took damn good care of it too. Looks brand new out of the package, not a scratch or a ding on it.

Okay fine, I had a case. But still.
I'm a big smartphone guy, but all my friends use old phones. Essentially all of them are breaking on them, but they stick to it.
Lol no
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've never owned a cell phone in my life. I don't want people to be able to contact me all the time
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
Quote by Metalisnotmusic
I've never owned a cell phone in my life. I don't want people to be able to contact me all the time

Same here man. Nice to virtually meet you!
"It's better to be kind. Being clever or good looking is subjective. Kindness is essential" - Ricky Gervais
I still have a motorola razr flip phone or whatever it's called. Does what I need and I've dropped it on concrete and water a few times. Still works great!

edit:

A bunch of people appear to be complaining about smartphones being intrusive and over-connects us ALL THE TIME. While that is true, it doesn't seem to make sense to assume that getting a smartphone will automatically make you one of those people who are on their phones all the time. You are a person. You can put your phone in your pocket and not be on the internet the whole time you own a smartphone. It's called self control.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Last edited by kikaykitko at Oct 25, 2013,
I've had a smartphone for 2 years and I can't imagine having a regular phone. It's not the most high tech, but having access to Twitter is great for long train journeys.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I don't have a smartphone. I did buy an Android tablet recently, so that's basically a smart phone with no phone.
I still use my Razr that I got back in like 2005. I still have it because it does exactly what I need it to (call people) and it doesn't have extra stuff that I don't want/need.
Quote by Rawshik
I use this:

I got it in like...2010? Which was an upgrade from a flip phone that had it's screen bug out. I don't like it. It's slow, it randomly rings (seriously, not just my imagination), and a lot of the buttons afd stuck and have to be crammed down.

Although, I could never justify spending so much money on a smartphone.

I had one kinda similar to that (with the sideways keyboard) and it was cool but it broke
then my parents got me a shitty touchscreen phone which wasn't as good and then that broke
and now I have some sort of smartphone that I hardly use so it doesn't break

I don't love touchscreen phones, but I imagine a high end one would be pretty cool
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I used a flip phone that lasted about 3 years, and had been through the washer about halfway through.

Now I can't get a flip phone, but I still don't use a smart phone, I find them pretty unnecessary.
Quote by kikaykitko
A bunch of people appear to be complaining about smartphones being intrusive and over-connects us ALL THE TIME. While that is true, it doesn't seem to make sense to assume that getting a smartphone will automatically make you one of those people who are on their phones all the time. You are a person. You can put your phone in your pocket and not be on the internet the whole time you own a smartphone. It's called self control.

Haha so this. I can't stand people who are on their phone all the time, even around other people, but that doesn't stop me from having a smartphone for fear of becoming one of them. I tend to keep my wifi/data connection turned off unless im actually using it anyway.

Our technicians at work all have basic nokias for their work mobile, but thats cos they only need to call and text. They have no need for the internet for their jobs. They just use their personal phones otherwise.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Oct 25, 2013,
Still have a flip phone

I like not having to look when I text, being able to drop my phone on concrete, and not looking like huge doucher who is always on their phone.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
I would take a pic of my phone but it's so old that I don't think it has a camera. Plus, I don't know how I would take a pic of my phone with my phone...

Anyways, I still have a flip phone and I'm damn proud of it.

There she is.

had one of these bad boys since 2008. Never failed me yet.
I've had a couple of smartphones, but HTC break far too easily (I'm a liability with anything technology) my Samsung Galaxy was far far too big to comfortably fit in my pocket/hand, and iphones are just all around awful.
In the end I just stuck with my old brick.

This is my phone. It can call and text and that's all I need it for. I refuse to pay over a hundred euros for some fancy 'smartphone' that does everything I can do on my laptop a 10000x slower.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Oct 25, 2013,
I've got a year old Nokia with the keyboard layout on it just because I really hate touch screen devices. Basically if I could have the functionality of a smartphone with the practicality of my Nokia then I'd be all set.

Oh, and I want a better camera than 3.2MP.
West Ham United
Nope. Galaxy S4 master race.

Quote by kikaykitko

You are a person. You can put your phone in your pocket and not be on the internet the whole time you own a smartphone. It's called self control.

This.
Got an old Nokia similar to bartender's, it can do internet but shittily (I can read cracked on it while I fall asleep so thats enough for me).

I'd like a smartphone, but I don't want one bad enough to shell out the cash for it.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by Metalisnotmusic

Don't mean to be a dick, but grow up and get with the times. You say that now. But imagine being standing in the middle of nowhere or being broken down on the side of the road and not being able to get someone to pull over. Everyone should have a cellphone on them. It's not like you need an expensive one either. You can just get a cheap prepay for fifty bucks and just use it when you need it.
Page 1 of 2