Remember that lady that spilled Mcdonalds coffee on herself and sued? We Were Wrong

Page 1 of 5
https://www.upworthy.com/ever-hear-about-the-lady-that-spilled-coffee-on-herself-at-mcdonalds-then-sued-for-millions?c=upw1

Holy shit. Those burns were severe as ****. I remember hearing about this and scoffing at the dumbass lady, boy was i wrong.

Thoughts on McDonald's, justice, media, etc?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Would you sue the kettle company if you spilled hot water on yourself at home?

This is such a stupid comment i can't even believe it. Your analogy is bad and you should feel bad.

You probably didn't watch the video, did you? You mong.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Yeah I never got why this is the one example everyone uses to make fun of the courts. She was right. Coffee should not give 2nd degree burns because you're clumsy for a second. No one expects or deserves that because they wanted some coffee.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by ChucklesMginty
No, I didn't want to see burn wounds. Who spilled the coffee?

Dude. Don't be a pussy and watch the video, it will give you...context. Amazing.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

There are like 20 million different ways to spin this story. You weren't there so shuuut up.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
People had been telling McDonalds for years before this happened that their coffee was to hot. Lots of people. It is still to hot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The only thing this video did for me was show how bad her burns were. Yea it sucks, but I mean, come on...
it makes sense that someone should have made McDonalds lower the temperature of their coffee, but it's just how that was enforced (punitive damages) that was a bit of a shame.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I'm 4 minutes in and my opinion has not changed.

You boil water to make coffee/tea, the temperature has an effect on the flavor.

When you're carrying a cup of near boiling water be fucking careful.

It's a "it could happen to anyone" thing. And it did happen to hundreds of others around that time. And she only originally wanted them to lower it so it wouldn't keep happening and her medical bills (includes ****ing skin grafts) paid for
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It happens to hundreds of people at home with kettles.

The difference is those people know they just lifted a boiling pot off the stove.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by ChucklesMginty

People with kettles are probably aware of the heat and they make and adjust that themselves. Most people don't expect someone else to serve them coffee that gives them 2nd-3rd degree burns.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Well it just fits nicely into the American stereotype of mindless idiots suing everyone they can for the stupidest shit.
While CrapDonalds could have been more aware of these incidents, and the media could stop being a bunch of keyboard mashing apes (and water could stop being wet while its at it ) the fact remains that she still spilled a boiled beverage on herself. Nobody was entirely in the right.
What I'm wondering is, has no one had 2nd degree burns on their mouth for drinking the same temperature coffee from McD?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by Acϵ♠
https://www.upworthy.com/ever-hear-about-the-lady-that-spilled-coffee-on-herself-at-mcdonalds-then-sued-for-millions?c=upw1

Holy shit. Those burns were severe as ****. I remember hearing about this and scoffing at the dumbass lady, boy was i wrong.

Thoughts on McDonald's, justice, media, etc?

we've known you were wrong since day one. this was a lawsuit that needed to happen...
Quote by kikaykitko
What I'm wondering is, has no one had 2nd degree burns on their mouth for drinking the same temperature coffee from McD?

our mouths don't burn that easily for one, and you can also take a small sip and think "this is too hot to drink right now". you take a small CUP to the crotch? good luck
Last edited by captaincrunk at Oct 25, 2013,
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Well it just fits nicely into the American stereotype of mindless idiots suing everyone they can for the stupidest shit.
While CrapDonalds could have been more aware of these incidents, and the media could stop being a bunch of keyboard mashing apes (and water could stop being wet while its at it ) the fact remains that she still spilled a boiled beverage on herself. Nobody was entirely in the right.

Agreed. But if McD was serving beverage hot enough to cause 2nd degree burn, they should be held liable for that and for damages. Other company companies are held liable for damages by their products even if it is caused by human error. In this case, too. Especially if you are serving something people put in their mouths that could potentially cause dangerous burns like it did with this woman.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by kikaykitko

Yes. One of the reasons she was successful in her suit was because McD was aware that several hundred people a year were injured from their coffee.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Yes. One of the reasons she was successful in her suit was because McD was aware that several hundred people a year were injured from their coffee.

and had been ordered to serve their coffee less hot. but a certain group of people want the coffee that hot so they can drink it later.
Quote by kikaykitko
Agreed. But if McD was serving beverage hot enough to cause 2nd degree burn, they should be held liable for that and for damages.

Anything above about 80 degrees can cause 2nd degree burns, depending on the time in which it's in contact with your skin. The main factor here was likely the fact that she spilt it on clothing, which meant she was unable to get away from the liquid and so it had a lot of time to burn through the skill into the lower dermis (which is 3rd degree, and those injuries certainly look 3rd degree at least).

The coffee was almost certainly being served too hot: it always has to be in fast food environments because it's difficult to ensure proper microbe without using incredibly hot water, and there's obviously not time for the drink too cool. The way most fast food places/cafes heat water can lead to super heating, that is the water can be produced above 100 degrees whilst remaining a liquid.

Ultimately I'm not certain that this was really McDonald's fault, but given the damage this has caused I fail to see why they should pay something towards her medical fees/rehabilitation. I have a friend who worked at McDonalds who got them to pay compensation due to the fact that it was concluded that the work they had made him do was a complicating factor in the slow recovery of his back after a car crash - if they'll pay for that then they should certainly pay towards the recovery of a woman whose enjoyment life is permanently and significantly diminished due to the way they have to store liquids. As I say, it probably isn't McDonald's fault that they have to to store and produce liquids in such a way, but even if it isn't, they're the front-line and so any problems the customer experience must be dealt with by them.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Theres an entire documentary on netflix about her lol.

They just had really shitty coffee that came instantly made out of this machine, which was set way too hot. It was like 190 F if I remember correctly, anything over 165 is gonna be too hot to drink right away.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Fast food restaurants shouldn't be serving items too dangerous to consume immediately. Their coffee was causing injuries to tons of people.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
IIRC one of the big issues in this case was that McDonald's wasn't warning people of how hot the coffee actually was.
First I heard of it. Interesting anyway.

Couldn't help but notice the sticker near the end saying "I <3 Wales"

<333333
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Fast food restaurants shouldn't be serving items too dangerous to consume immediately. Their coffee was causing injuries to tons of people.

I don't think I've ever bought coffee or tea that can be consumed instantly. Most of the time with tea there's a machine where you press a button to get hot water (which is close to boiling point as it should be) and then you press another for milk and choose the type of tea you want and put that in afterwards.
Why would you get coffee from mcdonalds anyway, she deserved it.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Jackal58
The difference is those people know they just lifted a boiling pot off the stove.

Because, if I ever drink a coffee, I expect it to be cold.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.
~Jack Layton 1950-2011
Quote by Iced Earth9
Because, if I ever drink a coffee, I expect it to be cold.

Nice strawman

It's easy to expect a recently boiled kettle to be *way* hotter than a cup of coffee from a fast food restaurant.
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Nice strawman

It's easy to expect a recently boiled kettle to be *way* hotter than a cup of coffee from a fast food restaurant.

Why would you ever expect a drink from a fast food restaurant to be cooler than that you make at home? It'll obviously be either the same (just below boiling point) or higher (because people want to be able to take their coffee/hot chocolate home to drink there).
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
A friend of mine was a manager at a McDonald's and took a phone call from a woman who t-boned her car eating a mcflurry and the spoon went through her cheek. She was trying to sue but since she caused the accident herself the case got thrown out.
It's still ridiculous. Not McDonald's problem that she's a clumsy idiot.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Would you sue the kettle company if you spilled hot water on yourself at home?

You also aren't giving out kettles of water in drive-thrus.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Page 1 of 5