hello,
I'm thinking about buying a new guitar. I always play metal, so EMGs are a must. I really like ESP and to go a bit cheaper LTD. I'd like to spend around around 600€ (used), that means that the original price could be 1000€ or so. I really like the LTD snakebyte by james hetfield but I'm worried that because it is a signature guitar, it costs more just because it's a signature guitar. I find the V-shape not very comfortable, so that would be excluded. The guitar should be balanced as well, so that the neck doesnìt go down when I'm not holding it.
What are your suggestions?
Thanks
Quote by Jayerrr
I always play metal, so EMGs are a must.

No, they really aren't.

Anyway, my suggestions are to not limit yourself and to go out and try as many different guitars in your price range as you can. Since you're a metal player the only thing that you really could be said to need is a guitar with a set of humbuckers (any will do really) but you can very definitely get good high-gain tones out of a single-coil set. With the right tone I can get a pretty heavy sound out of my telecaster.

That said... what kind of metal do you play? That might change things a little, although probably not.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I play arch enemy and children of bodom most of the time, but Metallica and iron Maiden as well. there aren't
a lot of shops to try out guitars in my city though
Quote by Jayerrr
I play arch enemy and children of bodom most of the time, but Metallica and iron Maiden as well. there aren't

Doesn't matter, go and try as many as possible anyway. You don't have to buy the ones you try but it will help you make a more informed decision. No one else can tell you what kind of guitar you're going to like when it comes down to it so the best way to find out is to go play as many as possible.

Also, reasons EMGs aren't needed: most of the classic Arch Enemy tones were recorded with a Seymour Duncan JB/'59 set and Iron Maiden have, as far as I know, never used active pickups.

Either way, my advice stands: go and try as many as you can. Come back when you're more informed and know what you actually want. A body shape isn't enough information.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you want a comfortable shaped guitar with EMGs look at the EC-1000 series. There's also versions with duncans and those will do metal just fine. Your amp is going to be the most important part of getting a metal sound.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec1000_vbk.htm
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by Jayerrr

Then EMGs aren't a must. I can get a pretty decent tone for some of this stuff using 50s style strat pickups. You got to work a bit to get there but it's possible. However humbuckers will work a lot better of course.
What I'm saying is do not limit your options 'cause who knows, you might find that the perfect guitar might not be what you expect. I am a huge maiden fan and when I was younger I thought that high output humbuckers was the only thing that worked for me. As it turns out the guitar I prefer for maiden type stuff is a strat with low output single coils. So don't limit your options. Try to experiment instead and eventually you'll find your own tone.
Quote by Jayerrr
hello,
I'm thinking about buying a new guitar. I always play metal, so EMGs are a must. I really like ESP and to go a bit cheaper LTD. I'd like to spend around around 600€ (used), that means that the original price could be 1000€ or so. I really like the LTD snakebyte by james hetfield but I'm worried that because it is a signature guitar, it costs more just because it's a signature guitar. I find the V-shape not very comfortable, so that would be excluded. The guitar should be balanced as well, so that the neck doesnìt go down when I'm not holding it.
What are your suggestions?
Thanks

Can your amp deliver the tones you're after?
thanks for all the answers guys! I will go to the guitar store and try out as many as possibile, maybe also go to a bigger city nearby, where they should have more