(Disclaimer) - Too long, skip to the last paragraph… Important details are formatted...

Ok, so here’s the deal.

I am a level 2(two) on a 0-5 scale intermediate guitarist (as in Jimmy Buffet and Neil Young chording proficiency, and again, level 2 soloing ability). I’ve posted on these forums before so you don’t have to worry about the typical beginner’s problems, but anyway… I’m going to Guitar Center to test out a few amps, and I’m already sold on wanting a modeling amp for my recording sessions, but I’m concerned that my knowledge and amp selection is too limited to make a decision yet. I’ve got my eye on two, but that’s a different story… anyhoo…

I like playing heavy metal and alt metal with PLENTY of drop tunings coupled with high gain and distortion. I am capable of playing mellow or ambient too, but I’m more focused on honing in my metal technique. Guitar doesn’t matter (unless it matters to you) at this point because, well, I’m getting a modeling amp, I can do whatever the hell I want with it.

In closing, I’ll follow the “amp thread” guideline… I’m looking for a, preferably,brand new MODELING amp, ideally 40-80 watts… I can make a few exceptions on used if it’s in near perfect condition. My budget right now is about $200, but that may change in the future. Strictly for home use, so it doesn’t need to be a hundred watt head with a 4x12’ cab. Like I said, I have a Guitar Center close-by so that’s not a problem. Currently, I have one electric and two acoustics, neither of which are electric by themselves, but I have an old mic that is surprisingly good at capturing a true acoustic vibe. My little sp-10 amp that came with my Starcaster Strat (I modded and tweaked it to near perfection, don’t worry), broke a couple months ago, so I haven’t been playing any amp for a while.

If you need more info, just let me know. Any suggestions?
^i agree a pod or HD (while not an amp) will probably be the best bang for the buck.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Don't get me wrong, I surely don't mean to discourage variety in replies, but I enjoy the plug-and-play aspect of live amps, rather than desktop tech like the POD for aftermarket speakers. I find it easier to manage...
Quote by Dsioret
Don't get me wrong, I surely don't mean to discourage variety in replies, but I enjoy the plug-and-play aspect of live amps, rather than desktop tech like the POD for aftermarket speakers. I find it easier to manage...

i agree, but i thought your OP said you were looking into a modeling amp. the POD and HD's are pretty much the amp modeling / effects sections out of Line 6 amps. if the budget is low and you want quality then you can generally pick up nicer effects by buying a POD or HD by itself instead of getting a more stripped down version in an amp.

like i said, better bang for the buck, but you don't get the speaker and power amp.

-ae
touché... I might not have been completely clear. Live modeling amps are my thing, but in a nutshell, I'm looking for something intermediate level and good for a home/neighborhood garage band workload.

+1 to the Vypyr btw. I've been looking at those for a while now along with some Mustangs and L6 Spiders. Leaning a bit more to Peavey right now though...
the vypyr does seem to get more referrals and people seem to prefer them more, so i think you are going in the right direction if you are looking into modeling amps in that range.

-ae
+2 on the Vypyr Tube. Easily capable of professional sounds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by cdr_salamander
Used Vypyr Tube 60.

+311
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
$200 is hard, but look for a used Line 6 Flextone II/III or a Line 6 Vetta. The Flextone's run <$200 normally the Vetta 2x12 runs $300ish.

A used Vypyr tube 60 would also be worth a look.

With your budget you couldn't get a 1/2 stack worth looking at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 26, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
+311

Anyway, yes, that's most likely what you want.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
$200 is hard, but look for a used Line 6 Flextone II/III or a Line 6 Vetta. The Flextone's run <$200 normally the Vetta 2x12 runs $300ish.

A used Vypyr tube 60 would also be worth a look.

With your budget you couldn't get a 1/2 stack worth looking at

I know $200 is pretty tight for a good semi-pro amp, but I was only looking for suggestions at this point... My budget might increase by $100, or even another $200 depending on what happens between now and Christmas here in the U.S. Getting a lot of mid level Vypyr suggestions, which is what I wanted in the first place, so I might just go with my gut and get the Peavey!

P.S. (for everyone this time) Since I've narrowed it down to a Vypyr, are the VIP's any good like the II or III? (40 and 100 watts respectively). Fairly different from the originals I'd guess.
Quote by gregs1020
Has anyone here ever tried an acoustic with a VYPYR 60?

Anyone?

didn't think so.

My buddy uses a Vypyr 120 combo with a nylon acoustic/electric. It sounds pretty good through it, even with some of the FX.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dsioret
I know $200 is pretty tight for a good semi-pro amp, but I was only looking for suggestions at this point... My budget might increase by $100, or even another $200 depending on what happens between now and Christmas here in the U.S. Getting a lot of mid level Vypyr suggestions, which is what I wanted in the first place, so I might just go with my gut and get the Peavey!

P.S. (for everyone this time) Since I've narrowed it down to a Vypyr, are the VIP's any good like the II or III? (40 and 100 watts respectively). Fairly different from the originals I'd guess.

The only Vypyrs I would consider are the Vypyr tube 60/120. The Line 6 Flextone II/III are much better than the regular Vypyrs.

The VIP is nice if you play acoustic, bass and electric and have limited space, but it is not great at any of them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

TS - what you want is a YAMAHA THR-10, bring both your guitars and try one.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 26, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
Now why he needs a higher wattage modeling amp to play at home is confusing to me, but whatever.

In the full OP, I say that I might want to use it for garage band style venues. I only want a larger, more powerful amp because I've had experience with low wattage amps, as in my sp-10 and my friends 15-watt, road worn (rural roads), Fender whatever it was. I couldn't/didn't care to identify it

Basically, I like large amps that don't require a lot of pull on the analog side so I can just record straight how I want to my computer without having to add 10,000 layers of software influence to make it sound good... as in my sp-10 and my friend's 15-watt Fender thing.

Hope this explains things!
Why do you need an amp for an acoustic to play at home? That's kind of the point of an acoustic, to not use an amp. If you need to make it louder, buy a PA. Why you'd want a modeling amp, I have no idea.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm planning a huge NRD for Christmas... shouldn't say that lest I get this thread closed... but anyway.

I just came home from Guitar Center (I had the time of my frikken life ) and I tested the Vypyr VIP II and the Mustang II (Even on my Fender Modo-Caster, they both sounded great)... same wattage, same price, but methinks the Mustang might have taken it. It's not a full on Modeling amp like the Vypyr, but it's back of the room presence is certainly there...

However, this poses a problem for me... do I go for sheer tried and true tone and warmth, or over the moon versatility in use? You can guess which amp delivers which...

P.S. once again... I did say Garage Bang Workload... not limited to specifically studio recording. My acoustics are not concerning me because I have a good acoustic mic already I'm looking for something good for the studio when I want it, and a school auditorium when I need it.
Last edited by Dsioret at Oct 26, 2013,
Quote by Dsioret
I'm planning a huge NRD for Christmas... shouldn't say that lest I get this thread closed... but anyway.

I just came home from Guitar Center (I had the time of my frikken life ) and I tested the Vypyr VIP II and the Mustang II (Even on my Fender Modo-Caster, they both sounded great)... same wattage, same price, but methinks the Mustang might have taken it. It's not a full on Modeling amp like the Vypyr, but it's back of the room presence is certainly there...

However, this poses a problem for me... do I go for sheer tried and true tone and warmth, or over the moon versatility in use? You can guess which amp delivers which...

P.S. once again... I did say Garage Bang Workload... not limited to specifically studio recording. My acoustics are not concerning me because I have a good acoustic mic already I'm looking for something good for the studio when I want it, and a school auditorium when I need it.

The Mustang is a full on modeling amp, just like the Vypyr. Where did you hear otherwise?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You misunderstand... feature-wise the Vypyr seems to have a bit more than the Mustang... that seems to be general across everybody I've asked, but even the guy there said that I'd be breaking a lot of trends by getting the Mustang rather than the Vypyr if I'm going to be playing metal. That's kinda why I used the term "full-on" rather than "it isn't at all"...
Quote by Dsioret

So... you're NOT going to use this with an acoustic, but with an electric? I r confused

Also - I probably wouldn't use any amp in this price range in the studio.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Dsioret
In the full OP, I say that I might want to use it for garage band style venues. I only want a larger, more powerful amp because I've had experience with low wattage amps, as in my sp-10 and my friends 15-watt, road worn (rural roads), Fender whatever it was. I couldn't/didn't care to identify it

Basically, I like large amps that don't require a lot of pull on the analog side so I can just record straight how I want to my computer without having to add 10,000 layers of software influence to make it sound good... as in my sp-10 and my friend's 15-watt Fender thing.

Hope this explains things!

yeah try a vypyr 60 tube.

vox valvetronics, cube 80, etc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I at least have it narrowed down from here... talk to you all again in a couple weeks or months. Thanks much for the help and suggestions.

Dsi out -