Hi all.

I was just wondering if someone knows of any good, inexpensive Les Pauls? I guess I mean copies. I know you can get a Studio for about $400, but I'd be too afraid to risk the GC lottery when it comes to a lower-end Gibson.

Are there any copies you recommend?

I played a Washburn LP one time and really liked it, it was very comfortable.

How about Agile?

The cheaper the better, while still being of reasonable quality. I mean, I paid $350 and got a strat that feels like a slice of heaven, I'm just wondering if the same is possible with an LP.

The most important factor is that big LP sound and reasonable fit and finish. I'm not interested in buying an LP for comfort.

I noticed some cheap MIJ Les Pauls with bolt-ons. I had always heard they were of low quality. Anyone own one? Some of them look very nice and don't cost much. I also hear that Oscar Schmidt makes LPs and semihollows which are pretty decent and cost practically nothing.
you don't want a bolt on les paul.

agiles can be heavy, just my experience.

where on the planet are you?
In the USA. So there should be a world of guitars out there, I just have no idea what's good in terms of Les Paul. I have not been impressed with the epiphones I've played.
what is your budget?

with les pauls there are a ton of variations from almost infinite brands. are you looking for one that resembles the usual gibson standard or custom closely or loosely?

whatever you prefer is fine, it just comes down to what you want. and your budget.
I have the Agile AL-2000 and it's an awesome guitar. The only problem I have with it is that the p-ups can sound a little muddy with too much gain/distortion.
If you can, try the Agile 3010SE. It's $300ish (if it's on sale, it goes down to $225-250) and certainly worth the extra.
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
$150-350, probably.

In terms of style, a goldtop with p90s is awesome, but I was really thinking more of a traditional black or HSB finish with humbuckers.

I don't really care how closely it models a Gibson standard or custom, as long as it has the LP sound. That big, creamy thick sound.

Oh, and neck profile: nothing too chunky. Can't stand chunky necks. A v-shape or thin-v is very comfortable for me, but a D or C should work as well. Just... Not the super chunky stuff.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 26, 2013,
And BTW, samuraigoomba, I found THIS: http://music.qwlee.com/Detail_i614576

It has the exact same picture as the one at GC...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

A plain top Epi Les Paul sells for $400 new. The 2012/2013 models can be excellent guitars; I’ve seen plenty that are better finished than the sloppy job Gibson does on its studio line.
Hmm, the thing is, I have no idea how good the Strettavita BT is. Not big on epiphones, I suppose I should go to the GC and try a bunch of Epis out to see if that's personal preference, or if I've just played some bad ones.

That Malden photo looks fishy. It looks exactly like the photo that was on the GC website, except with a blue cloth behind the guitar, haha.

Richmond is one I forgot about. Usually they cost more than that.
I think the Malden is worth at least investigating. A couple of emails, maybe some research on the seller.

As for the Dean Zelinsky guitar, I'm convinced by what I've seen online- YouTube included- that they're worth buying, especially at those prices. I'm going the Tagliare route, personally.

Look for a used Epiphone. I got my Epiphone Les Paul Standard for 150.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by samuraigoomba
$150-350, probably.

In terms of style, a goldtop with p90s is awesome, but I was really thinking more of a traditional black or HSB finish with humbuckers.

I don't really care how closely it models a Gibson standard or custom, as long as it has the LP sound. That big, creamy thick sound.

PRS SE singlecuts go for $250-350 and are great for the money.

find a minty one.
Why not get a Gibson? GC has a great 30 day return policy so you are covered if you do not like it. I order from GC used site all the time and if I have a problem the Item either goes back in the mail or I just take it to the closest GC for a refund.

Agile is worth a look also if you want certain specs at low new prices. Agile 2000: Gold top, P-90 soapbars $249 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 26, 2013,
Hmm, Agile is sounding like a good option. Kurt has regular sales, b-stocks and other discounts. I wouldn't want to get less than a 3010 though, and I hear the pickups aren't great. A Plus Top Pro also sounds okay, since they seem to have decent pickups from the get-go. The main things for me are a comfy neck and a nice thick LP sound.