Hey UG,

I'm currently building a 2x12 cab and I've got it finished, but I just need to select two speakers to go in it.

I play anything from blues to rock all the way to metal. I was thinking of mixing a Greenback (25w) (already have 1greenback) and a Vintage30 (60w). Both would be 8Ohm of course.

Research about it so far tells me that it's possible, but if I put them in series the total wattage would be 50W (double the amount of the lowest wattage speaker). Some people said that the sound of the vintage30 would overpower the sound of the greenback but a soundclip on youtube convinced me otherwise.

The question I have is: Can I plug those two into a Laney IRT60H ? The head is 60watts, but since I'll only be using the 2x12 at home I doubt I'll ever have the Watt-switch of the amp up to the full 60w. I'd really like the input of more knowledgeable people than me on this one :P

Thanks in advance UG'ers!
Look at the Celestion 65 watt Creamback. It is a higher power handling greenback.

I do know V30's mix very well with G12h30 speakers. Or if you want a green back mix that with a G12h30 for a good combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The short answer is "probably."

The longer answer is that a tube amp advertised at 60 watts usually puts out closer to 90 with everything all the way up. Also, output is not linear so if you have the master volume all the way up, you often hit advertised wattage at 4-5 on the channel volume. So if you are playing with the master at 8 and the volume at 6 you might actually be putting out 60 watts, even though intuitively you'd think it was a lot less.
On the other hand, speaker manufacturers know this, so a 25W Greenback isn't going to blow up if you plug it into a 25 watt amp and crank it. So basically, the amp wattage as well as the speaker wattage are both imaginary numbers that got made up for the sake of practicality and don't necessarily reflect reality very well. For that reason, I'd be a bit hesitant to guarantee a Greenback in that setup if only because you don't really know how close you might be to doing damage to the speaker. In all honesty you'd probably be completely fine, which is why I said "probably" as the short answer, but I just don't want to tell you that it's ok and then have you blow up a speaker and come back asking why. I'd be very surprised if you did actually damage it, though. I bet a Greenback can handle it.

Another fairly exotic option you have would be to get a 4 ohm V30 with your 8 ohm greenback and then set your amp at 4 ohms. If you wire them in parallel then you get the V30 taking twice the input wattage, so the V30 takes 40 (nominal) watts and your Greenback would take 20 at max power. The 4:6 ohm mismatch is safe, and then you're well within spec for both speakers. The other advantage of this setup is that it would let the Greenback break up later, instead of overdriving way before the V30 started to break up.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Or if you want a green back mix that with a G12h30 for a good combo
The G12h30 is basically a mix between the greenback and the v30, so wouldn't it be logical that the two seperately make a good combo as well? But I'll look up more about it; thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by Roc8995
So if you are playing with the master at 8 and the volume at 6 you might actually be putting out 60 watts, even though intuitively you'd think it was a lot less.

So if I put the Watt-control of the amp at about 30 watts and drive the master volume of the amp at about 7-8 (I highly doubt I'll ever go higher unless I want to annoy my neighbours immensly) I might be a lot closer to 60 watts than I thought?

Quote by Roc8995

Another fairly exotic option you have would be to get a 4 ohm V30 with your 8 ohm greenback and then set your amp at 4 ohms. If you wire them in parallel then you get the V30 taking twice the input wattage, so the V30 takes 40 (nominal) watts and your Greenback would take 20 at max power.

I assume the V30 will only take twice the load if it's less Ohm than the greenback? (ie. both with 8ohm in parallel = still 50 watts in total?)

Thanks for the reply mate, cleared a lot up
A G12h30 is not a mix of G12m25 and V30 speakers. The G12h30 was made in the 1960's, the V30 came along in the 1980's. The g12h30 is not as vintage sounding as a G12m nor as modern sounding as the V30

Yes a lot of people tend to say the G12h30 is in the middle of the G12m and V30, be cause it does have some sound characteristics of both.

If you want a V30 G12m type set up, I'm sure it will work. I don't know of any one personally that does this, but I have heard a few on here do it and like the pairing.

The Eminence GB128, Eminence Private Jack, WGS Invader 50 are all 50 watt or better greenback type speakers. The Celestion 65watt creamback is also a higher powered greenback type speaker. This way the cab is at least 100 watts.

I use a 100 watt JCM 2000 with a 2x12 with a Eminence GB128 and a WGS Reaper HP (50 watt G12h30 type speaker), and they work fine for me. Wired in series/parallel for a 100 watt 16 ohm cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 27, 2013,
Quote by Valix
So if I put the Watt-control of the amp at about 30 watts and drive the master volume of the amp at about 7-8 (I highly doubt I'll ever go higher unless I want to annoy my neighbours immensly) I might be a lot closer to 60 watts than I thought?

Is there an actual switch that says 30 watts? The pictures I can see of that amp have only a continuous dial that goes from "<<1 watt" to "Max." It is not safe to assume that 30 watts is right in the middle.
But yes, if you put that switch halfway up and the master at 8 you might actually be putting out 60 watts. It might be 30, too, but as I said the problem is that you are unable to measure what the actual output is so we can't be certain of the number.

I assume the V30 will only take twice the load if it's less Ohm than the greenback? (ie. both with 8ohm in parallel = still 50 watts in total?)

Yes, that is the idea. If you mismatch speaker ohms and wire in parallel they will take input based on the impedance. Impedance is a measure of how readily the speaker resists current flow, so if one speaker has half the impedance it will receive twice the power in this system.
It is important to note that this does not work in series.

Thanks for the reply mate, cleared a lot up

No problem, glad to help.
You are making it harder than it needs to be, just use a sensible speaker combination.
Shut up and play your guitar!
I think it was a reasonable question
He already had the Greenback, so it would save a bunch of money to be able to use it.
The easy answer is "do it the obvious way" but exploring other options can be useful as well.