The volume pots and jack on my les paul have started to get pretty noisy lately, so I've decided to use this as an excuse to re-wire the whole guitar to 50's specs.

I've decided to go with 50's wiring style because I have found my volume knobs to be pretty useless with my current wiring configuration, and I would like to have the option of rolling back my volume knobs to have better control over my gain level.

Anyways ... the real point of this post is to see if anyone here has any experience with using SoZo Caps?

If so, are they any good? What did you like, or dislike about them?

Also, what pots do you recommend? I hear 500k or 550k CST pots are the way to go

I haven't done much toying around with different cap and pot combinations, so I'm defiantly open to suggestion.

Cheers!

SP
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
You're not going to see any difference between a 500K and a 550K, but CTS are good. Try to get brass shaft ones, a lot of the new CTS ones are nylon.

Sozos are ok in a guitar, caps don't make a huge difference so I don't think you'll notice any difference between a Sozo and any other poly cap. They're cheap in general though so maybe just get Orange drop, Sozo, and a PIO in a few different values and see what you like. The value is more important than the type of cap.

InvaderJim is going to come in and tell you caps don't sound any different anyway
Thanks for the response!

I thought that the pots would be pretty similar.

The main reason I am asking about the caps is because in doing some research today, I read quite a bit about how some guy's are aruging that certain caps sound drastically better than others . I agree that this is likly due to the value of the cap, rather then the brand/type of cap.

I'm going to take your advice, and buy a small variety of caps and do a little experimenting.

Thanks for the advise. .. makes sense to me
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
What I did was to get a set of alligator clips and solder them in where each end of the tone cap would go. Then you can snap in different caps as you play, which helps a lot because your brain doesn't remember sounds very well. After a few minutes your memory of a specific sound is basically worthless in a test like this where the tones are so similar.
Even caps that test at the same value do sound different to me, especially when you start turning the tone down quite a bit. Let us know what you hear, though. Don't be afraid to come back and tell me I'm crazy and there's no difference

The pots won't be any different because most guitar pots are 10% tolerance or worse, so that extra 50K is within the tolerance of each. Plus 50K just isn't that much of a difference even if they are exactly as advertised.
Quote by Roc8995
What I did was to get a set of alligator clips and solder them in where each end of the tone cap would go. Then you can snap in different caps as you play

That is genius! I would have never thought about that

I'm going to order some pots and caps later today, and I'll be sure to report my findings!

I appreciate the advice!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112