Well, you definitely have his note choice down!! The only thing missing was the vibrato/bending he uses. Thats the only thing that was lacking. If you would've had a better vibrato, and some bending, i prolly would have thought it WAS steve vai. Overall good playing.
Yeah. You had some nice Steve Vai sounding licks there (and I liked the backing track). But IMO the solo lacked direction. It was kind of random noodling. It would have sounded better if you had had an idea which you had based your solo on (listen to For the Love of God for example - the whole solo is based on a couple of ideas and that's why it sounds like a complete piece). Also you didn't have breaks in the solo. Have breaks, they make your solo sound a lot more structured.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 28, 2013,
Thanks a lot for the comments! I'm taking notes about the vibrato, the breaks and basing the solo around a melody.
Not bad. You definitely know what you're doing, but the tone should be more 'sharp'. Aiming for early Vai, or modern Vai? It sounds more like his early material. This coming from a huge Vai fan. Around the 1:30 min mark it sounded like meaningless soloing from there, to be honest. The soloing needs more space in the track too. Build atmosphere for better execution. Good playing.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1621521
Last edited by Harlot Hero at Oct 29, 2013,
^highjacker...that was ummm not as good as the OPs I'll say.
OP, nice. Just use more bends harmonics and whammy and your almost there. Evos would help your tone if you want to nail it better
Quote by Harlot Hero
Not bad. You definitely know what you're doing, but the tone should be more 'sharp'. Aiming for early Vai, or modern Vai? It sounds more like his early material. This coming from a huge Vai fan. Around the 1:30 min mark it sounded like meaningless soloing from there, to be honest. The soloing needs more space in the track too. Build atmosphere for better execution. Good playing.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1621521

Thanks man. I'm not really good at finding a good tone, I guess I should get more into that.

I can't open the link, it says "page not found".

Quote by Spartacus345
I'm liking the phrasing, nice job. Would you mind checking out a video i did?

Thanks. I think you should practice more on the muting with your right hand and the coordination of both hands. Remember to practice really slow and gradually get faster. I find it easier to tap with my middle finger when I do sweep-tapping licks maybe you should try that.

Quote by Tempoe
OP, nice. Just use more bends harmonics and whammy and your almost there. Evos would help your tone if you want to nail it better

Thanks! I'm thinking on getting a guitar with a floyd rose, that will probably open up a whole new world for me.
Last edited by SR7s at Oct 29, 2013,
Quote by Spartacus345
I'm liking the phrasing, nice job. Would you mind checking out a video i did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6f2RHLb0I

Dude, that was just noise. It was very sloppy. Practice your sweeps slower before playing them in tempo. And you want to make sure you play them very cleanly at slower tempo. If you can't play them cleanly at slow tempo, your high speed playing will sound very sloppy.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115