Hello!

I've been playing the guitar for the last 4 years or so. All the way back in '09, my high school guitar course got me into it; I promise I was just in it for the credit, but it's kinda like methamphetamine. I've come to a point where I can claim that I'm decent, and somewhat proficient. While my approach towards the instrument has never been "systematic", my weightlifting regime has taught me the importance of "structure" and "progression". Now, there are countless video courses on the guitar, but most of them focus on certain licks, songs, and such; I, however, would prefer a brief-but-intensive guitar course to "fine-tune" some aspects of my playing. Are there any good courses out there - in video/book format - that focus on increasing one's proficiency, preferably through a structured "progression"?

Thanks!
Thing is, "intensive" and "progression" in the same phrase imply that there's a certain amount of time and a certain amount of progress to be expected in that time. And that's not how it works; guitar isn't like weight lifting at all, progression is much more complex and is more often than not defined in a way that is unique to a single player.

In weight lifting it's generally my understanding that, within a certain type of lift (let's say dead lift for now) once you've reached a certain number of reps at a certain weight you can do that number of reps for anything lighter, right? There is no analogue to that on guitar; just because you can, for example, sweep at a certain speed doesn't mean you can sweep anything slower than that. I've seen many people come unstuck when it comes to this realisation.

Now, if you have a very specific goal you might be able to come up with some kind of metric for progress but really when it comes down to it there's nothing you can measure about guitar that's really important. You can't measure phrasing or note choice, you can't measure song writing or anything like that.

What you're looking for doesn't exist, as far as I'm concerned, because it wouldn't be of any real use. The closest I think you're going to get is the 21 day challenge at the top of the forum.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.