Ok this may be a hard one but I'm looking for a new 5 string bass, one problem is I'm left handed, so they are hard to come by anyway. My max price is around £300 but i'm looking for something a little left-field (no pun intended), hell anything unusual or off the wall is right up my street, "standard" body shapes just bore me :/
Last edited by Ben2k9 at Oct 27, 2013,
If you're lucky enough you could get a used Warwick Rock Bass Corvette Basic for that price.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
It is difficult to recommend something because the prices for various instruments are often quite different in the U.K. from those in the U.S.A. As for something "off the wall" in 5-string, left hand and in the 300 GBP range, I think that the left handed requirement is going to make finding something difficult. You might be stuck with having to go semi-custom if you want something other than the traditional Fender designs. Steinberger's XT25 headless bass sells in the U.S.A. for something at the upper limit of your budget, but I do not know that they make a left handed model. Still, it remains one of the most "off the wall" basses ever made.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks, Ive had a look at steinburgers, they are indeed mental not sure I can get anything in my price range/left handed but i'll another have a look.

Found a decent second hand Tobias...which i've read are really good, and its a total steal at £226, i've no idea why its so cheap.

Also looked at a few ibanez's, I know they have a more conventional body shape but ive heard good things about them, specifically im looking at the GSR205L.

I guess my south pawed-ness is limiting me somewhat but i'm not prepared to restring a right hander, as I'm already doing that with 2 basses!
Last edited by Ben2k9 at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by Ben2k9
Thanks, Ive had a look at steinburgers, they are indeed mental not sure I can get anything in my price range/left handed but i'll another have a look.

Found a decent second hand Tobias...which i've read are really good, and its a total steal at £226, i've no idea why its so cheap.

Also looked at a few ibanez's, I know they have a more conventional body shape but ive heard good things about them, specifically im looking at the GSR205L.

I guess my south pawed-ness is limiting me somewhat but i'm not prepared to restring a right hander, as I'm already doing that with 2 basses!

It might be a Tobias Toby, the budget versions made overseas. The only thing they share with the expensive custom Tobias basses you're thinking of is the shape and name.

IMO Ibanez is going to be your best bet for finding a solid lefty five string in your price range.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you are US bound. Check out www.rondomusic.com if you are in europe just surf GAK or thoman until you find something that floats your boat.
LeakyFlask
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
@Ben2k9, My daughter is lefty and she asked me about playing bass. She does play sax and has music know-how so I let her play my 5-string. She asked if she needed a left-hand bass, and I said I didn't know. But she played without any problem. So I've always wanted to ask a left handed player if it was weird to try playing a right handed bass? I didn't see it as something left or right. I feel my left hand doing all the fretting is much more work than the right plunking 2 fingers. Seems a lefty would be advantaged here. Bit off topic, but there's a very small amount of lefty basses on guitar store sites so just made me wonder.....
Schector 5 string Omen
Kona 5 string
Behringer BX4500H
Behringer 410
Behringer 115
Gorilla 30w
I've done some research and there is a good few options available to me! At the moment its a toss up between these:

ESP LTD B-55 Black
Steinberger Spirit XT 25
Shine SB35L

As for playing the bass upside down....its surprisingly easy and comfortable. The only reason I want a proper left handed bass is at the moment im lending a bandmates' bass, and have acquired a right handed squier and want my own.

I know all the horror stories about changing the nut and stuff but simply filing the holes works, the bridge has been tweaked and it all works fine and dandy, the only issue is the strap limits you to around the 12th fret (because its on the lower arm), but thats no biggie. As for neck diving and balancing etc its actually very comfy and doesn't dive at all, and ive learnt how to play near the neck so the controls dont get in the way at all.

BTW, before you ask, ive been playing guitar for 10 years left handed so there is no way or point in trying to teach myself right handed considering im in a band as well, it would be impractical.