Hey guys,
I'm looking for a smaller amp for metal (think bedroom levels and later maybe small venues)
I'm playing mainly metal (duh) but I'd like do dabble in a bit of blues jazz and rock every now and then. so I'd prefer a versatile amp.

So I wanna to from bell like cleans to gut wrenching tones from hell (preferably for under 1200 euro's)

I really don't mind if it's a combo or a head+cab. I just want to be able to keep my hearing. (60 watt max)

Amps I have looked at:
the bugera infinium 333xl series.
Engl Powerball
Orange dark terror (nice sounding but not very versatile
Peavey 6065+ 112 combo
Blackstar HT METAL 60
????

I'm open to suggestion guys, cuz I'm ampless right now and I really want to get something good at a very short notice.
Last edited by Mitzdaking at Oct 28, 2013,
Peavey Vyper Tube 60.

I know it wasn't on your list, but since you asked for versatility, those fit the bill. Additionally, they can achieve the same tone at very low volumes that they can at higher volumes. They use the same power amp section as a 6505. Plus, they have modeling of the 6505, Mesa Dual Rec, and many more -- so you can dial in a real heavy tone, albeit it probably won't quite match the real thing.

I have a 6505+ 112, and would obviously recommend one if versatility wasn't that important. It takes a lot of work (and maybe some pedals) to get a good clean sound out of them, but it can be done. However, "jazzy" cleans are tough to get unless you use low-output humbuckers -- which you probably don't if you have a 'metal' guitar. You have to decide how much you're willing to trade to get the monstrous lead channel. Also, I wouldn't call it a 'small' amp. It's the biggest 1 X 12 combo I've ever seen, and weighs around 65 pounds. But the extra size of the cab allows it to sound massive for a 1 X 12 combo. On '3', it would be loud enough for most gig situations/will compete with a drummer and then some.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 28, 2013,
Well, the point it. I can get myself a used 6505+ and cab for 1000 euro's. (in mint condition)
which is quite a steal because they're about 2650 euro's in Europe for the both of them.
I'm just affraid that 120 watts is way way WAY too much amp for what I need right at this moment. I've read up on attenuators but I've quickly learned that they are extremely expensive and don't really do the job as well.

so yeah, a 6505+ is very nice... but it's just way too much power then what I need right now
Last edited by Mitzdaking at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by Mitzdaking
Well, the point it. I can get myself a used 6505+ and cab for 1000 euro's. (in mint condition)
which is quite a steal because they're about 2650 euro's in Europe for the both of them.
I'm just affraid that 120 watts is way way WAY too much amp for what I need right at this moment. I've read up on attenuators but I've quickly learned that they are extremely expensive and don't really do the job as well.

so yeah, a 6505+ is very nice... but I the ''best'' for a bit more...

I've played the head + cab (halfstack) version in stores and was able to get a nice tone at very reasonable volumes. An attenuator will do nothing for that amp, because it's not relying on power-tube breakup to get its ideal tone. The distortion is coming from the preamp while the power tubes stay pretty clean until you get it cooking EXTREMELY loud. That said, they DO sound better once you crank them up a bit, but it doesn't have to be ridiculous. It has more to do with how the speaker responds than anything else. My combo starts to sound its best at around '2' on the post gain, which is loud, but not insanely loud. On '3' it starts to fill out the room a bit better but will lead to a police visit if you have cranky neighbors. Thankfully for me, my nearest neighbor's house is over 150 feet away.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You just need to try the amp. High wattage doesn't mean bad bedroom tones. High wattage amps can be turned down just like lower wattage amps. Some amps just work better at bedroom volumes and the wattage doesn't matter that much. More wattage just means that you can play it louder with cleaner sound. So go try the amp. If it doesn't work at lower volumes, don't buy it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
You just need to try the amp. High wattage doesn't mean bad bedroom tones. High wattage amps can be turned down just like lower wattage amps. Some amps just work better at bedroom volumes and the wattage doesn't matter that much. More wattage just means that you can play it louder with cleaner sound. So go try the amp. If it doesn't work at lower volumes, don't buy it.

I'll have to drive for 60 miles/100kms but I guess It will be worth it
I'll keep you guys updated
Quote by Mitzdaking
Blackstar HT METAL 60

I would highly recommend this one. I've got the HT Stage 60 myself, and it's beastly, the ISF feature is amazing, you can basically dial the mid response from low-end to top, giving you a range between European style low-mid emphasis and American style high-mids. The HT Metal is essentially, as the name suggests, a Metal oriented version of the amp, although I'd say you can still play most styles of Heavy Metal with the HT Stage, the HT M is more for the extreme genres like Death and Grindcore.

I'd recommend the HT Stage if your looking for a balanced amp that can handle various genres of music, but if you're looking for pure aggression the HT Metal wouldn't be a bad option, there are better Metal amps out there, but the ISF dial is really unique and useful, so it's worth considering.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Last edited by EqualOfHeaven at Oct 28, 2013,
AND AND AND.. the 6505 combo is only 60w i believe, the head is 120w. Also I have a Orange th30 which i think has a very good clean tone and also one the best metal tones on an amp and its 30w changable down to 7. i just a graphic eq in the loop with some delay, and then a TS clone in front to tighten up for metal and done and done..TONE
Get a big amp with nice cleans for your jazz playing. Buy a nice metal pedal for your metal playing.
Quote by jpnyc
Get a big amp with nice cleans for your jazz playing. Buy a nice metal pedal for your metal playing.

There you go, just A/B a JC120 and a 6505+ combo. You've got the dosh, why not?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Randall RD45/20 - killer sound for not very much
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Krank Rev series has some nice cleans. The 6505+ 112 combo is nice as well, but the clean channel fails in comparison to the others you mentioned.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Anybody got a lead on an ENGL powerball 1?
I've heard they are quite good and can get a cab+head for a good price.
Quote by halikus
Randall RD45/20 - killer sound for not very much

Yeah the new Fortin Diavlo's seem to be quite a killers for the price but the jury is still out there. I dont think anyone in this forum has heard one yet but some guys at Sevenstring forums have tested it quite extensively and everything has been very positive so far.

A gain monster that divides opinions from what I have gathered. I have not heard it but I do know Abbath of Immortal uses one and I love his chilling guitar tone. A useless comment, I know.

Instead of Bugera 333/333XL look for the amps they are clones of, Peavey XXX and JSX. Better track record as far as reliability goes.

And ignore the wattage when it comes to deciding how the amp works in low volumes. They have perfectly functional volume knobs. What matters more is if the amp has global master volume and that only makes adjusting volume easier and less sensitive but its not necessary for bedroom use if you are careful. The overall volume difference between 60W and 120W is quite minimal, only couple of decibels. Latter just has more clean headroom (stays cleaner when cranked). In case of amps with no Global master volume the volume itself ramps up just as quickly on both as you turn the channel volume up.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by Mitzdaking
I've heard they are quite good and can get a cab+head for a good price.

I've never played one, but the Engl tone is amazing to my ears. Bone crushing distortion with lots of top end. Tight and thick.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Mitzdaking
I'll have to drive for 60 miles/100kms but I guess It will be worth it
I'll keep you guys updated

Make sure to tell the guy that you want to split gas!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Make sure to tell the guy that you want to split gas!

will do :p

I'm probably going to get an ENGL powerball 1 with 412 SS cab and z5 pedal for 825 euro's. (unless somebody can convince me otherwise) I've heard quite some good stuff about it and the fact that it's versatile as f*ck is a huge pro for me.
Quote by MaaZeus

A gain monster that divides opinions from what I have gathered. I have not heard it but I do know Abbath of Immortal uses one and I love his chilling guitar tone. A useless comment, I know.

That's not a useless comment at all. I think he has one of the best tones in black metal...hell, metal. Period. I've been wanting to know what he plays for quite some time now...because even when I play some of his stuff perfectly, it doesn't quite sound right out of a 6505.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I don't have a Powerball, but I love my little Engl Gigmaster. With my PRS SE Cu24, I can go from pseudo-acoustic tones for a coffeehouse to high-gain rock/metal tones with the same guitar and only tweaking some of the EQ.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I don't have a Powerball, but I love my little Engl Gigmaster. With my PRS SE Cu24, I can go from pseudo-acoustic tones for a coffeehouse to high-gain rock/metal tones with the same guitar and only tweaking some of the EQ.

Aye. Engl is really good from what I have heard.
I'm probably going to end up with the powerball (going to go for a visit tonight) and the 175 that I've saved by buying this set (budget was 1k) is going to an attenuator.