While I think the factory stereo in my Kizashi is spectacular for what it is, I do find it could really use some extra punch on the bottom end for many songs. Especially considering I'm starting to listen to a lot more electronic music than I used to. Plus I found it is already wired for it (other version of the vehicle comes stock with sub).

However, I really don't want to be "that guy", you know, that annoying 17 year old who pulls up next to you at red lights blaring loud rap music with subs that are enough to even rattle your car.

But my question is do they intend that, or is that just the nature of having a subwoofer? I want to enhance the bass in my car but I don't want to look/sound like a tool on the road and not be able to control it.

I only plan on getting something small to do just that, such as a 10" JL Audio but I figured I'd ask those with more experience with it first.
I'm sure there are decent subs out there. But I've yet to come across a person with subs where it wasn't only the fuzzy bass being heard. I know nothing about cars though, but I'm sure you can achieve what you want by just getting some nice speakers and something to help boost the bass without it being overpowering(eq and a tweeter?).
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I hope your subs make the little fox tail you undoubtedly have stuck on the back of your car fall off and get run over.
Quote by Todd Hart
O_O

Is this real?

Quote by Wormholes
I'm sure there are decent subs out there. But I've yet to come across a person with subs where it wasn't only the fuzzy bass being heard. I know nothing about cars though, but I'm sure you can achieve what you want by just getting some nice speakers and something to help boost the bass without it being overpowering(eq and a tweeter?).
That's what the part that makes me worry, from the outside you always hear nothing but the shaking rumbly bass from the sub, but to them inside the car it probably just sounds normal.
More than happy to help if you want. I was/am pretty massively into car audio.

If you really want to improve the music in your vehicle, amplifying all speakers in the vehicle is the key. I remember being young and just putting subs in my car - nothing ever sounded great until I started running serious power to all the speakers in the car. I now run a single 12" sub hanging off my rear deck (takes up less trunk space) in infinite baffle, with 8" subs/woofers in each door, and 3" full range speakers on the dash. Each get between 200-300w RMS so roughly 10x the power of an aftermarket car stereo deck.

If you still want to just go with a sub, then you have a few options. Any JL is a good choice, but not really from a price-performance standpoint. I am guessing you are going to want to minimize the cost of an external amplifier and the power it requires from the stock electrical system. Ideal would be a sub that is 89+db efficient.

Also size matters in terms of low frequency reproduction. If you just want a boost around 50-70hz, then a 10" isn't bad, but if you are really trying to reproduce frequencies that are low I.E 20-40hz, then a single 12+ is going to make a considerable difference. Not only that, the box is going to make the LARGEST difference. Sound quality when it comes to a subwoofer is really going to depend on the enclosure so if you go with a smaller subwoofer a ported enclosure is really ideal because it A) increase efficiency ( lower power/electrical demands for same output) and B) will increase frequency response down to the tuning frequency you choose (i.e 28-35hz).

Best sub options:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22186_Image-Dynamics-ID12-D4-V.3.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13864_JBL-GTO1214D.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14748_Polk-Audio-MM1240.html

Amplifier options:

BUY USED! No need for a new amplifier (unless you have money to burn). Look for something that is ~300w RMS @ 2 ohms such as,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-Power-351M-Car-Amplifier-Excellent-Condition-/190939297409?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2c74de7681

From companies such as Rockford, JBL, JL, Alpine (most of their amps they make themselves on their own designs). Any other questions post here or PM me, good luck.
Last edited by wy2sl0 at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

However, I really don't want to be "that guy", you know, that annoying 17 year old who pulls up next to you at red lights blaring loud rap music with subs that are enough to even rattle your car.

Don't turn them up that high, and don't listen to that sort of music. Problem solved.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

But my question is do they intend that, or is that just the nature of having a subwoofer? I want to enhance the bass in my car but I don't want to look/sound like a tool on the road and not be able to control it.

It's entirely possible to have a solid bass hit in the car, without really noticing it outside of the car. There's no reason to be rattling the windows on the houses in your neighborhood if you're using subs at a reasonable level.
Quote by captainsnazz
You get worse and worse every time you post.

...because he wants to enhance the audio quality in his car? Yeah, that's just insufferable.
Maybe you should start with some subordinate clauses, which are plentiful.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by wy2sl0
*snip*
Hmm, well I now know what I'm doing for an amp seeing how much they go used. Thanks for the tip there.

I'm unfortunately limited on space for this sub. I value trunk space because I am a guitar player with a very large rig and need what this car offers for space (which IS a lot for a sedan, yes, but I don't want an enclosure to take up a whole lot of space).

Where I was hoping to put it was in a space under the trunk that's normally made to hold a spare tire but instead is just a large Styrofoam thing with compartments that hold tools (which can all go in a small box instead taking up less space).

What would you recommend as a good alternative to these, in terms of similar dimensions?:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13616LW3V3/JL-Audio-CP106LG-W3v3.html?tp=112

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136110WXV2/JL-Audio-CS110-WXv2.html?tp=112

Those two as far as I know would fit in that space in the trunk based on my interpretation of the size from the models I saw in store. I don't have the exact dimensions of the space (which I should get but I don't have any measuring tape where I am).

Also in regards to the rest of the speakers, can't do much there. Cost is another limiting factor. :c Factory system is still nice though, sounds better than the Pioneer system my mother got installed in her 97 Land Cruiser, but it could also be that the general acoustics in my car are better.
I regret the amount of money I put into my car audio when I was in high school. I've got an all-Alpine system: one great digital receiver, two 6.5", two 6x9s, and a 12" sub with a 1200 watt amp. I have to admit though, I can't get better audio quality anywhere other than my car. 1 12" sub is definitely enough. If you tweak the settings right with your receiver, it sounds amazing.

Edit: and if you want some help installing it yourself, I can give you a tutorial.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Oct 28, 2013,

5 dolla

5 dolla foot LONGUE
First off, you can do the spare tire enclosure but that is either going 1)to cost a considerable amount for a custom fiberglass enclosure or B) take a considerable amount of time to construct it yourself. Not crazy difficult if you are a moderate DIY'er, but time consuming, and messy. If you are willing to give up the spare tire enclosure idea, it is ALWAYS best to build you own. Now you are probably thinking "I couldn't care less about building it myself, I just want a plug and play box and have it all done with". Well in the case of space, and actually in every case, it is best to build your own - which is NOT difficult! What is great is that you can measure your exact trunk dimensions and build a box that is slim and will fit tight up against the seat utilizing the full height of the trunk, therefore minimizing wasted space. If that is beyond you, a prefab box will be fine.

As for the first one you chose, that is a 6.5" speaker and not a subwoofer. It has virtually no ability to increase bass in your car, so do not bother. The second one isn't terrible but it is 86 DB efficient. The ones I listed are 89+ - what does that mean? Well every 3db increase requires twice the amount of power. Therefore you would need an amp twice as strong to be as loud as one of the 89db subs with that JL 86db one.
If size is a constraint though, don't worry, the second one is not bad.

Is this what your trunk looks like?
http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/long-term/misc/suzuki-kizashi-crg-2-160-thumb-717x477.jpg

It comes stock with a sub on the rear deck. If yours doesn't have that and the space is already there, you could possibly just use that area and save all your space.
Quote by captainsnazz
You get worse and worse every time you post.

This is a perfectly normal thread...
Quote by wy2sl0
Is this what your trunk looks like?
http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/long-term/misc/suzuki-kizashi-crg-2-160-thumb-717x477.jpg

It comes stock with a sub on the rear deck. If yours doesn't have that and the space is already there, you could possibly just use that area and save all your space.
Actually mine doesn't have the sub, those are the packages that have the Rockford Fosgate systems stock, which mine doesn't. But it does have a GPS stereo that can play SD cards and lossless WMA's so it's still good.

I can't find any pics of it but if you lift up the floor piece (small black handle) there's a small space that's made to hold a spare tire, as well as small styrofoam things that hold tools and what not (which I can take out and replace with a toolbox for the tools).

If I were to guess the dimensions I'd say it's roughly 2.5 x 2.5 feet.