But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Are We Not Men?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
If it is god's will then it shall be so.

srsly if you mean regressing as a species then no that's a very half baked idea just BOOO
Are we not pins?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Freedom From Choice

is what you want.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Yes I remember reading an article on either an insect r a mouse that was evolving backwards.

This is technically not true. It might currently be evolving towards a state that it has been in before, but that is not the same as 'evolving backwards'. Evolution has no direction, it does not go forwards or backwards.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by the bartender
This is impossible. It might currently be evolving to a state that it has been in before, but that is not the same as 'evolving backwards'. Evolution has no direction, it does not go forwards or backwards.

Truth.
Quote by the bartender
This is technically not true. It might currently be evolving towards a state that it has been in before, but that is not the same as 'evolving backwards'. Evolution has no direction, it does not go forwards or backwards.

+1
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It's kind of a paradox really. The fact that people are stupid enough to believe in devolution proves that it exists.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
It's kind of a paradox really. The fact that people are stupid enough to believe in devolution proves that it exists.

You're basically just saying you're stupid tho :/
I think it is safe to say that every evolutionary step is not always a step in the right direction. To call that devolution, however, is a misunderstanding of evolution.
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
I think it is safe to say that every evolutionary step is not always a step in the right direction. To call that devolution, however, is a misunderstanding of evolution.

Linking an evolutionary step to any kind of direction is also a misunderstanding of evolution.

Quote by the bartender
Linking an evolutionary step to any kind of direction is also a misunderstanding of evolution.
I think it is more than a subjective statement to assign value to increased or decreased odds of survival due to genetic change. Especially from an evolutionary perspective.
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Devolution is the statutory granting of powers from the central government of a sovereign state to government at a subnational level, such as a regional, local, or state level. It is a form of decentralization. Devolved territories have the power to make legislation relevant to the area.
Stop talking about animals.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hydra, you're too good for this thread.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Last edited by GNR_Duff_rules at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
I think it is more than a subjective statement to assign value to increased or decreased odds of survival due to genetic change. Especially from an evolutionary perspective.

It's not subjectivity that's the problem, it's the suggestion that evolution has a 'direction'. A genetic change that leads to a decrease in fitness is not 'evolution taking a wrong step', it's just a random genetic change that turned out to be disadvantageous. You have to remember that evolution is the result of these genetic changes, not the thing that causes it.

Quote by Hydra150
Stop talking about animals.

Humans are animals too .

Last edited by the bartender at Oct 28, 2013,
everyone not posting DEVO related shit in this thread is a pinhead.

and a wiener.

get on our level and start wearing a power dome.
Quote by the bartender
It's not subjectivity that's the problem, it's the suggestion that evolution has a 'direction'. A genetic change that leads to a decrease in fitness is not 'evolution taking a wrong step', it's just a random genetic change that turned out to be disadvantageous. You have to remember that evolution is the result of these genetic changes, not the thing that causes it.
Yet that in no way implies that from a subjective perspective assigning positive value to increases in chance of survival, decreases to such a chance are of a negative value, thus assign an "incorrect" direction within the scheme of things.

I'm not sure I get what your attempting to refute. Saying something is taking an evolutionary turn for the worse is simply stating that natural selection has resulted in a set of trait that are no longer conducive to survival. It isn't actually something which assign anything more than a subjective value to the evolutionary process. And no harm or misunderstanding is done to the theory in assigning this value.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Quote by jakesmellspoo
get on our level and start wearing a power dome.
I never take my off.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim
Quote by Basti95
You're basically just saying you're stupid tho :/

Exactly. Feel the mind baking power of the paradox as all human intelligence disappears down a logical blackhole

Because if I'm unreliable, then this is now a paradox pretzel.

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
I wish progdude would post so I can make sense of all this.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by HypernovaGlow
I wish my hero and saviour, the great sage equal of heaven would post so I can make sense of all this.

It's some retro/ironic hipster Devo nutlick thread.

Quote by EqualOfHeaven
It's some retro/ironic hipster Devo nutlick thread.

yes. retro and ironic.
they say we lost our tails evolving up from little snails, but I say that's all just wind in their sails.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas
they say we lost our tails evolving up from little snails, but I say that's all just wind in their sails.

evolving "up"? I find that offensive
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
Yet that in no way implies that from a subjective perspective assigning positive value to increases in chance of survival, decreases to such a chance are of a negative value, thus assign an "incorrect" direction within the scheme of things.

There is no problem with labeling certain traits as 'advantageous' or 'disadvantageous' in a certain situation, this can even be measured objectively. They can not be labeled as 'directions' however, simply because they are not going anywhere. they are a product of chance, and chance doesn't have any direction.

Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
I'm not sure I get what your attempting to refute. Saying something is taking an evolutionary turn for the worse is simply stating that natural selection has resulted in a set of trait that are no longer conducive to survival. It isn't actually something which assign anything more than a subjective value to the evolutionary process. And no harm or misunderstanding is done to the theory in assigning this value.
The problem is that saying this implies that there is a direction. Even though you yourself know that there is not, it is bound to cause other people to think that there is.

Quote by the bartender
The problem is that saying this implies that there is a direction. Even though you yourself know that there is not, it is bound to cause other people to think that there is.
I concede this point.
Quote by ironman1478
Quote by ProfessorJim