I am looking for a small tube amp for home recording and practicing along with songs.
the two amps I am looking at are the orange dark terror and blackstar ht 5 metal.

Orange Pros
15w/7w
effects loop
number or tubes it has
Orange cons
No record out

Blackstar Pros
More EQ adjustment
record out
styling

Cons
Only 5w

I can try both out at the same time but would like to know what people think of them as from videos i like the sound of both
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
number of tubes it has? I'm not sure i'd call that a pro, it costs more to replace them. that being said, far as i'm aware the blackstar is a hybrid so personally i'd call that a negative (for the blackstar).

I haven't tried either of them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want an Orange tone get the Orange, because the Blackstar won’t get you there. If you want Marshall or Mesa sounds get the Blackstar. If you want all three get the Blackstar and a Tech 21 pedal that does Orange tones (which will probably still cost less than the Blackstar, especially if you can get the pedal used!).
Have you checked the Jim Root Terror?

I'd chose it over both of them, though it resemles the dark terror a bit.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Spambot_2

OR15 is the best of them all.

Blackstar has shady business pracices. I would never buy from them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Blackstar has shady business pracices. I would never buy from them

I don't consider outright lying "shady". Shady is like... they might be doing something immoral. Outright lying is like outright lying. **** 'em.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't consider outright lying "shady". Shady is like... they might be doing something immoral. Outright lying is like outright lying. **** 'em.

do elaborate
Quote by Mitzdaking
do elaborate

Blackstar will not acknowledge they use SS components in the HT series when those amps are not tube, but hybrid in reality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Blackstar will not acknowledge they use SS components in the HT series when those amps are not tube, but hybrid in reality

so the entire HT Metal series is hybrid for the price of a full tube amp?
Well aint that a ripoff
IMO their prices are fine, their tech is fine - everything about them is fine, except that they are blatantly falsely advertising them.

There's nothing wrong with hybrid tech. It's a fantastic way to get quiet high gain tones at super low volumes.

But just be ****ing honest about it.

I guess tricking kids pays the bills.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Mitzdaking
so the entire HT Metal series is hybrid for the price of a full tube amp?
Well aint that a ripoff

Yes it is
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by peavey6505+user
I am looking for a small tube amp for home recording

>Orange Pros
No record out

>Blackstar Pros
record out

I simplified your decision for you.

Let's not get caught up entirely in the tube debate. He wants affordabe high gain and bedroom volume and through headphones. Are tubes really the best answer here? (Rooster asked GG&A, of all places).
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 28, 2013,
i don't know what they go for, but i wouldn't recommend anything other than the dual terror and the jim root model (the one with the RVB preamp).

i have the dual and, the second channel is where its at IMO. i personally do no see the single tone knob on the orange as a negative. it is kind of nice too because if you are playing one certain guitar, you know what you want as far as tone goes you don't have to re-EQ a guitar, just turn a knob (says the guy with a MKIV and sig: X wich have more functions out there than 90% of amps))

it is foot switchable which is convenient if you want a dirt into heavier metal very dirty.

BUT you either like Orange or hate it. seems to be what i hear.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^^ tube may well not be the best option for super-low volumes. it's up to him.

Quote by Offworld92
IMO their prices are fine, their tech is fine - everything about them is fine, except that they are blatantly falsely advertising them.

agreed. or at least skating very, very close to that. they're very, very strongly implying they're tube. And don't correct magazine reviews and dealers when they claim they're tube. And even have, on occasion, claimed they were all-tube when people emailed them to ask about it.

It's not just we internet guitar nerds it annoys, too- this affects other guitar businesses, too. Matt found a thread recently on TGP where steve fryette (the guy who started VHT, he now sells the same amps under his own surname) was complaining about this too (he didn't name BS outright, but very strongly implied it was them... taste of their own medicine, lol), because he can't compete with similar products because the fact that BS is so much cheaper because they're not actually all-tube makes anything he makes which genuinely is all-tube look expensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ tube may well not be the best option for super-low volumes. it's up to him.

+1tube may not be right, but my dual terror can preform quite well at low volume. I play it quite often at 3am and don't bother my wife.

But volume quite is subjective.

OP- go try some amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Robbgnarly

I guess the terrors would be better, they are more metal.

The OR15 is more vintage voiced, it sounds better for hard rock than for metal to me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Dont let the hybrid nature of Blackstar HT's bother you. Well, outside of Blackstars marketing schemes, they really are shady. But the amp is good and fits to your purpose for home playing and recording.

IMHO the Blackstar HT amps are one of the few "real" hybrid amps so to speak, as in they just dont put a single tube buffer somewhere in the signal path and advertise IT DOEZ T00B TOANZ (IE Marshall Valvestates and similar. They are really just solid states with a single useless tube there for marketing purposes) but it actually has tube gain stage(s). The tech is good, I just wish they would be more open and honest about it.

If it bothers you but you want the amp, buy used. Manufacturers generally hate it since they cant get a single dime out of used stuff markets.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 29, 2013,
Quote by Spambot_2
I guess the terrors would be better, they are more metal.

The OR15 is more vintage voiced, it sounds better for hard rock than for metal to me.

The OR 15 will do modern metal just fine. To me it is an improvement on the #4
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1tube may not be right, but my dual terror can preform quite well at low volume. I play it quite often at 3am and don't bother my wife.

But volume quite is subjective.

yeah i like tube at the volumes i play at at home, but that might be louder than most people's idea of home volumes As you say, it's very subjective. A lot of the things that some people don't like about tube amps at low volumes don't seem to annoy me, either (fizz etc.), so that's worth bearing in mind, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JustRooster
I simplified your decision for you.
The record out on the HT-5 isn't fantastic (emulated outs never are). For home recording you might also be interested in modellers. Look into the POD HD or Eleven Rack...

I haven't taken a detailed look at the HT-5 schematic and I'm not sure there are any on the web for the HT-5 metal but I'm a firm believer that an amp shouldn't be knocked down just for being a hybrid. In fact, some aspects of tube amp design can benefit from solid state technology if you ask me (although, the HT-5 is loaded to the max with transistors).

In other words: False advertising maybe but buy an amp based on what it sounds like not what it's made of.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I had a Blackstar Ht5 & Ht 20 and found them both lacking massively imo in decent over driven tones I could just not get on with it no matter how I set the EQ up, (subjective ofcourse) I then traded the 20 for a dark terror and have never looked back since.Tone wise wipes the floor with the blackstar, though i cannot vouch for the metal version. only thing that the blackstar will do much better is clean tones, which for me matters little. In regards to volumes, I live with someone who really hates loud anything even if she enjoys the music and find that even at very low volumes the orange still sounds super sweet.

My lil input