Hi guys,

My band are hoping to add distortion our vocals live on one mic. We would like a semi distorted sound with some reverb a lá METZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxVxzLnYBQ

What would the easiest way do this in a live situation, we are not worried about this in studio just live.

Thanks in advance,

Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Turn the gain and 'verb on the mixer up and keep the volume slider down a bit to not feedback. That'd be my first guess. I'm still learning the ways of the soundboard.

Preferably not. A mixer clipping doesn't sound like an amp clipping, that's why you don't see people making distortion that way.

OT, Get a something from the Digitech Vocalist series. Do some research and you'll find similar FX by other makers too.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by henrihell

OT, Get a something from the Digitech Vocalist series. Do some research and you'll find similar FX by other makers too.

Thanks, will look into it.

Also I have a few stompboxes lying around, would something like a tubescreamer work?
In theory, yes, however you have to bear in mind that guitar fx pedals are designed to see the signal of guitars (high impedance) whereas a vocal mic has a much lower impedance (typically around 150 Ohms) which can change the way the effect works considerably, not to mention the signal strength and clarity.

Also need to be careful with your levels because distorted mics, live, are much more susceptible to feedback, due to the higher gain.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I'm bumping this tread since I have a question related to it.

Get a passive di to link between the microphone and effects unit. Done.

Will this change the impendance back to a high level, therefore, keeping the way the effect works normal? If so, no need to check for the gain level right (feedback purposes)?
Last edited by Taz9 at Jun 17, 2014,
Yea, i'ts just that I'm looking at what is the most simple way to achieve it. I found last night a unit called "Vocalist" made by digitech. I might as well go with this, since I heard that if I get an extra mic, it would be some hassle to deal with the feedback. (For live performances)
Last edited by Taz9 at Jun 17, 2014,