Page 1 of 2
Budget: $600. Ish. I can save longer, but I'd prefer not to.

Genres:
Indie rock (The National)
synth rock (Shiny Toy Guns , The Lovemakers )
classic rock (Pink Floyd , Journey )
modern rock (Coheed and Cambria , AFI )
sludge (Mastodon , Baroness ).

Used.

I'm located in Southern California. Orange County, the Inland Empire, and San Diego County are all within reasonable driving distance. I can consider Los Angeles if it's a super great deal.

Current gear: Main Rig
Epiphone Firebird VII
Peavey USA Predator
LTD EC-1000

Peavey 6505 | MS412
Boss TU-3
MXR M77
Earthquaker Hoof
Danelectro Fish & Chips
Boss NS-2

I'm looking for an amp more designed for what I'm playing. Rather than using the rhythm channel with the gain low on my 6505.

I'm getting a Marshall 1960 soon, cabwise.

I'm not against the idea of a combo, but it absolutely must be a 1x12. No 2x12s or anything smaller than a 12".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Most of those bands use Orange or Marshall. Baroness and Masto record with JCM-800's and Orange Thunderverbs quite a lot. I think they use JCM-2000's live.

Not sure what to recommend for $600, but just to show you what sounds you'd need to emulate for that genre. As far as I knew Coheed was really into Orange and AFI used ENGL.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
thats a FULL range.

used i would say carvin v3m, or a v3, tweaker 88 (i stress, 88, no others), perhaps a tubemeister 36 PERHAPS i am not a fan though. perhaps even a used engater renegade?

these amps can good cleans, crunch, up to higher gain to pull off coheed and mastadon stuff.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I hated the V3M I tried. I'll look at the V3. Will definitely look at the Tweaker 88 and the Renegade.

@JustRooster I have been pretty set on a Marshall DSL for a while now, lol. It always ends up being the best sounding compromise for what I want to do. Which is like you say, generally 800 dirt and cleans.

I guess my budget is slightly arbitrary. I just don't want to wait too long before getting something different - it's an image thing as well as a tone thing. I'm in a band now that plays with these kinds of sounds, and a 6505 stack just doesn't look right. That's another reason the DSL is so attractive. The whole Marshall color scheme is just right.

EDIT: And the ability to hit the higher gain stuff on it's own would be nice, but not totally essential - I will most likely use my Earthquaker Hoof for the sludge stuff. That's pretty much the main reason I bought it, sonically.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 28, 2013,
Baroness is using Bad Cat amps last I heard

PS your modern rock selections suck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 28, 2013,
Yeah I should probably change that to alternative rock or something. Wasn't sure what exactly to call it. Just like... modern. Not metal. lol

What are opinions on the Orange Dual Terror for this range? Or the TH30/TH100?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I hated the V3M I tried.

If you have a chance I would strongly suggest revisiting the V3M and make sure you're spending some time turning knobs, maybe even looking up some suggested settings. Check out the 7, 22, and 50 watt settings...This is honestly the most versatile amp I've ever played through.
You could probably score a used Laney GH50L for that budget, which does really well for a lot of those genres.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Didn't you just do one of these

I thought you were set on a DSL or Splawn

I don't even know. My concept of time is all ****ed up.

Quote by cdr_salamander
You could probably score a used Laney GH50L for that budget, which does really well for a lot of those genres.

The GH is single channel though.... I want a really versatile workhorse of an amp. Something I can use by itself with a footswitch if I have to.

I haven't really seriously considered Splawn ever. How are the cleans?

EDIT: My indecision and worry is spurred by my impatience and low income. $600 is a lot for me at once. Just want to make as good a choice as I possibly can, like everyone else here.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 29, 2013,
Look at a lee jackson ampeg. Nice sounding amp, i have had one for a while, but it needs a little work iirc $300 i have the 1002 head.

Not saying that that is an answer but i haven't seen one mentioned.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You could try and find a Hiwatt Higain 100 head. I've got one. Dr103 cleans so it takes pedals well and can do that Pink Floyd sound (It has a master volume! Hooray!) and can get very gainy. It's not super saturated gain as well, so with a boost it will give you the kinds of sounds your after. Also it has switchable clean, Gain and hi gain settings and reverb, so versatile on its own. And it looks incredible. Don't know how much they cost in america though Alternativley a high wattage orange like the Thunderverb.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I've been listening to demos for a couple hours, and now I'm at a complete loss.

Suddenly the DSL sounds like shit to me. Super raspy gain and cleans that sound really harsh.

The Egnater sounds super dull and boring to me. Probably something I have to find in person.

The Carvin X60/100B still looks/sounds good.

The Orange TH30 might be good, but I'm not sure about it's headroom playing with a drummer.

In knee jerk reaction to the DSL - I need something with LUSH, deep/dark cleans. Not raspy, not super bright and thin, none of that bullshit.

Carvin X might be the way to go, huh?

Budget is becoming less of an issue compared to just finding the right amp. I was looking at $1300 Rockerverbs and the idea of saving up that much didn't seems so bad. So just throwing that number out there. It really has to blow me away though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I really like my DSL100, The cleans are really good, and I even quite like the gain structure it has.
Never really go into Egnater, but the renegade head I played was kinda nice. But I only toyed with it briefly.

The Carvin X100/60 never liked the gain it is supper buzzy/fizzy. Good cleans, but the gain was horrid

Just throwing this out there Krank 1980. Very much like a Splawn QR (w/ KT88), but it has a much better clean channel. It is a great amp if you want that HR Marshall tone and they run $600-$800 used. I like my 1980 Jr and it was only $300 used. Go to GC used site an look 'em up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Peavey JSX head. will give you plenty of options including metal and still do you good for what you mentioned.
Look for a Mesa F-50. The cleans can be bright or dark. Mid gain is great, then kick on the Contour and BOOM! Coheed territory. Throw a fuzz on the clean channel and you've got some sludge.

Ideally, for the sluge you want a cranked single channel amp. But the Mesa is a great Swiss Army Knife Amp. Doubt I'll get rid of mine soon, if ever.

edit: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/4089557540.html

Also one in Johnson City, NY for $499.
GUITAR AMP
USED MESA/BOOGIE F-50 50W TUBE HEAD
Details »
Amps
Guitar Center Johnson City
Johnson City, New York 13790
607-797-3042
View Store's Used Inventory
Contact Store
Now Only
$499.99
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Oct 29, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
I haven't really seriously considered Splawn ever. How are the cleans?

assuming you can find clips on the net OK here are two more. the best Greg and I can come up with:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play809374

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10952014/Splawn%20Quick%20Rod%20clean%20by%20Gregs1020.mp3
I'm going to recommend a TH30. I was super impressed that it was only 30watts and was as loud as it was. It has a really nice crunch channel, definitely enough for what you want (with a boost). Not unlike a DSL in some ways, except smoother and fuller. I really really enjoyed the clean too. If you can find it used then it might be in your range. Look at the OR series too.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey JSX head. will give you plenty of options including metal and still do you good for what you mentioned.

The crunch channel on the JVM doesn't dial in Marshally enough, it's too high gain without enough range. I'm looking for something with a crunch channel that I can basically dial in almost clean, then go to hot rod Marshall with the gain dial.

Quote by LaidBack
Look for a Mesa F-50.

Do you know anything about the Stiletto Ace?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Awesome, thanks. Still has that kind of anemic, bright/thin Marshall clean thing going on that I don't like though. But it's hard to say since I can't actually dial it in my self.

Quote by Cathbard

Oh yeah, forgot about that amp. Do you know the differences between the versions?

So far the cleans sound nicer than the DSL cleans, but still pretty bright. This option could be viable.

Quote by evmac
I'm going to recommend a TH30. I was super impressed that it was only 30watts and was as loud as it was. It has a really nice crunch channel, definitely enough for what you want (with a boost). Not unlike a DSL in some ways, except smoother and fuller. I really really enjoyed the clean too. If you can find it used then it might be in your range. Look at the OR series too.

Oranges definitely have way nicer cleans than Marshalls, I'm just worried about the headroom. Gonna have to listen to much more to make up my mind about this avenue.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
http://drtube.com/library/schematics/69-marshall-schemas#AN30

Supposedly the brass nameplate ones were handwired by Mayan vestal virgins with the tears of tibetan yaks for soldering flux yada yada. Basically, some have EL34's, some have 5881's. Meh, a 6100 is a 6100 is a 6100.

The combos have a really cluttered panel and being smaller (1x12) they'd have to get hotter. Still, I've always thought they'd make a great short head.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 30, 2013,
I don't think you need to worry about headroom too much. It's not going to distort to a point where you couldn't play those bands you kentioned. I cranked the amp 3/4 of the way with the gain up. It's basically a Baroness machine.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
To be honest right now I'm down to the TH30 or the TH100. They're expensive as **** but they just sound so damn good compared to everything else. They really bring the cleans I want together with awesome dirt.

The cleans are really important to me because with the band that's what I'll be using, with mostly pedals for dirt. The amp dirt is just for me on my own time.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm gonna go ahead and say that with the music you want to play and the budget you have I don't think a single amp I've played can nail all of that in a single go more than the Laney VH100R. I have very, very similar tastes in music and the only reason I got rid of my VH100R is because I traded it straight up for a Mesa Dual Rec Tremoverb 2x12 combo. You can pull VH100Rs all day for $600 and they are perfect for all of that. Baroness and Coheed are within my top 10 favorite bands of all time and the VH100R can nail all of their sound. I played tons of indie rock on that amp and the clean channel is to die for. The FX Loops are super nice too.

I'd say with a solid budget of $600 that is the best bet man. And I've owned a TH30, the cleans don't stay clean very long. I've owned an assload of amps and the Laney is Top 5 for sure.

They are also impeccably built with really nice components.
Quote by Offworld92
I've been listening to demos for a couple hours, and now I'm at a complete loss.

Suddenly the DSL sounds like shit to me. Super raspy gain and cleans that sound really harsh.

The Egnater sounds super dull and boring to me. Probably something I have to find in person.

The Carvin X60/100B still looks/sounds good.

The Orange TH30 might be good, but I'm not sure about it's headroom playing with a drummer.

In knee jerk reaction to the DSL - I need something with LUSH, deep/dark cleans. Not raspy, not super bright and thin, none of that bullshit.

Carvin X might be the way to go, huh?

Budget is becoming less of an issue compared to just finding the right amp. I was looking at $1300 Rockerverbs and the idea of saving up that much didn't seems so bad. So just throwing that number out there. It really has to blow me away though.

Lush deep dark cleans? I gotta say, my single rectifier has a fat and full clean channel, I freaking love it. Rectoverb or single rec should be right in that price range. Drive channel is of course, fantastic. Vintage mode is probably the most well known sound, ironically.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Okay, I will listen to lots more VH100 vids.

Yeah, as far as Oranges go I might save up for the TH100, for the headroom. God damn the Thunders are monstrous and amazing. The VH100 will have to be damn good to sway me. It's pretty ugly.

EDIT: ^ I was actually looking at the Tremoverb, but I think I need/want something with more of a British drive than a Rec.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 30, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Okay, I will listen to lots more VH100 vids.

Yeah, as far as Oranges go I might save up for the TH100, for the headroom. God damn the Thunders are monstrous and amazing. The VH100 will have to be damn good to sway me. It's pretty ugly.

EDIT: ^ I was actually looking at the Tremoverb, but I think I need/want something with more of a British drive than a Rec.

www.humbuckermusic.com has the best prices on Orange amps I have ever seen. New the TH series is what they cost used at most places, TH30 <$900 new.

I still say check out the 1980

EDIT: Humbuckermusic is now the same price on Orange amps, that sucks.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 30, 2013,
I think this thread proves that if you handed 25 GG&A posters $1,000 they'd all come back with 25 different amps.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
The Stiletto is Mesa's take on a British voiced amp. Never played one.

I'll +1 Korey with the VH100r. Fantastic amps. I love my GH50L, but you need cleans. Get the VH100r.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by JustRooster
I think this thread proves that if you handed 25 GG&A posters $1,000 they'd all come back with 25 different amps.

I would agree to apoint
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm going to Guitar Center today, gonna try out a DSL, Vintage Modern, & Tiny Terror, and whatever else they may have.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ippon
For that budget, audition the H&K Switchblade and Laney VH100R. Splawn QR for about 400 more.

Have you tried those 2?

Quote by Offworld92

1. The Orange TH30 might be good, but I'm not sure about it's headroom playing with a drummer.

2. Budget is becoming less of an issue compared to just finding the right amp. I was looking at $1300 Rockerverbs and the idea of saving up that much didn't seems so bad. So just throwing that number out there. It really has to blow me away though.

1. I have the TH100 (MIC) and I suspect you'll like it better than the TH30. $900 at GC and it was minty.

2. MB Tremoverb, MB Royal Atlantic 100, MB Stilleto Trident, Rivera KTre or KR100/KR7 or even Knucklehead 100, all with awesome Cleans.

For ~1500, you can snag an Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II, Thunderverb 200, and a MB RoadKing II (Lonestar-type clean all the way to the heavy Recto sound)!

You might as well check out the Bogner Alchemist, my favorite low wattage amp for gigs ... so bullet-proof, currently smells of stout and assorted beer and other drinks. It doesn't get a lot of love here, like the H&K Tubemeister 36, another favorite, and so light.
Ok. Today I spent 3 hours at GC demoing amps. I tried a Vintage Modern 2266 (50W), a DSL100H, an Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk.II, and an Egnater Tweaker 88.

The DSL was easily the worst of the bunch. The cleans were almost the exact opposite of what I wanted. Like the demos on Youtube, they are super bright, spanky and thin. Excellent for a funk kind of sound, but not what I want. It also was too touchy - there were cleans, and heavy dirt with heavy pick attack - I could not get the dirt to be proportional with my pick attack, it was a sort of "on" with moderate - heavy attack, and "off" with very light attack. This was on the dirt mode of the clean channel, not sure what it was called.

The Tweaker 88 was, unfortunately, the same as I thought it would be based on the videos I watched of it. It has a TON of options, but none of them really do anything. The amp came off just super bland to me. It suffers heavily from "jack of all trades" syndrome, none of the sounds in it really impressed me at all. It was a little more responsive to my pick attack than the DSL, but still not linearly enough to really impress me. The price was GREAT ($400 on clearance), but despite the price I just was not happy with it.

The Rockerverb 50 Mk.II. Wow. As I suspected, this one had the best cleans of the bunch. Real nice, dark and CLEAN. I don't like breakup in my cleans, and what I love about Oranges is how clean and smooth their cleans are. I love the gain knob on this amp. The dirty channel isn't just a dirty channel like a lot of amps - the gain knob allows you to dial in from cleans as clean as the clean channel, to classic Orange Sludge. In between you have your range of great Orange crunch. The range of the gain knob on this amp is fantastic, however, it is still not as touch sensitive as I was looking for. It didn't get me the cleans I want with light picking as well as the amount of dirt I want with heavy picking. With heavy picking it was still too clean.

The Vintage Modern. This was the first Marshall I ever fell in love with. I played this one just because it was there and to play it, I wasn't expecting it to be at all what I was looking for. This amp came out of ****ing NOWHERE with how much I liked it. This amp was by far my favorite amp I played today. I'm in love with it all over again, now for even more reasons than I was the first time. I absolutely love the way the preamp gain is split into the upper and lower frequencies. It is massively useful for getting different sounds out of this amp. With both cranked all the way up? Dear ****ing god. Blasphemy incoming: This amp with both preamp gains maxed out DESTROYED the Rockerverb for sludge tones. It was so. Goddamn. Fuzzy. In the best way, not in the shitty solid state way. It sounded just as good as my Earthquaker Hoof, though different. All on it's own, just in the amp. No pedal needed. Sludge? Check. For the sounds I was actually trying the amps for, I got that as well. With the Body control all the way down, and the other pregain control around 65% of the way up, I can get clean, dirt free cleans with light attack, all the way up to a good solid, no "edge of breakup" BS dirt with heavy attack. The cleans are slightly too bright for my taste, but with more time spent dialing it in I'm pretty sure I can be happy with it. If not, I can definitely get there with pedals. They were much more mellow and manageable than the DSL, at any rate. One thing that sets this amp apart is that the amount of dirt I get out of it is much more linear with my pick attack than anything else I tried. It was so enjoyable to play. This is absolutely an amp that I want, and at $700, I think that it's really the way to go for me, rather than a $1100 Orange I won't be able to play.

The verdict is still out on the TH100 and the Laney GH/VH, but... I dunno, I doubt they'll give me the response that the VM gave me. This might be my next amp.

Now I just have to find out if I should get the 100W or 50W. I'm thinking 100W, so I can have better control over the cleans at any volume, since I'm using the gain from the preamp anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I really liked some of the sounds from the Vintage Modern, liked quite a lot, but the lack of a volume control on the boost was a bit of a deal breaker. But you know what I bought instead. Maybe you could go the same way. Don't used RM100's go rather cheap over there?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Yeah, There is an RM100 head with clean/plexi/recto modules for $629.99 at GC
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy it, man. The RM's are US made and shit. Buy it. The plexi module has a gain control so you don't have to drive it actually like a non-mv plexi. That ^ would be a good combo for you. You can mod 'em too. The Randall forum has all the component layouts. You just swap out a few components and you got a different preamp module.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification