Hi gang,

A little about my self:
I have been playing guitar for about seven years now. I played acoustic and used basic chords. Over the last year and a half I have started studying theory, taking classes and playing electric. I figured that the best way to learn how one works is to build one. I currently own an Epiphone 339 Ultra, for clean playing and classic country and a telecaster FSR GC for blues and southern rock. So, I bought just the body shell of a SG. The next thing I want to get is a neck for it. I want to build the guitar to play classic rock and getting heavy at times. I am a huge fan of Angus Young and Joe Perry’s style. I’m looking for a neck, I’m thinking thin might be best, and I was wondering what would achieve this sound. I should mention that I have small hands..

Keep on rockin’
Do you need a set neck or bolt-on?

I was rockin when your moms underwear still smelled like piss
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Jaxongamer
Bolt on. The body is from a SG Special.

They have them here for pretty cheap. www.guitarfetish.com make sure it is the bolt-on model and not the glue in version you choose
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I looked on there and found a SG style that I like but the description says that it might need a level/crown/polish. In your experience has this been needed? It outside of my expertise.
Quote by Jaxongamer
I looked on there and found a SG style that I like but the description says that it might need a level/crown/polish. In your experience has this been needed? It outside of my expertise.

Probably, if they say so. Getting a neck that is ready to go will cost more than the guitar is worth. Warmoth makes some nice necks, ut they will run you $150+ for a cheap one.

You can get cheap radius sanding blocks from stew Mac you could use to level the frets(the blocks are $10ish).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm a big fan of "invest now and reap the rewards later". That and I have fallen in love with the Warmoth neck with the angled head.
Yeah, those are pretty good skills to have - lots of people pay lots of money to have this work done to their guitars, so if you can learn how to do it yourself on a low-cost project guitar, you'll come out way ahead.
Quote by Jaxongamer
I'm a big fan of "invest now and reap the rewards later". That and I have fallen in love with the Warmoth neck with the angled head.

Careful now, warmoth builds fender scale necks. however they do have 24 3/4" 'Conversion' necks. Meaning they are built to bolt on a fender, then Voila' you have a 24 3/4" guitar. the neck heel placement and shape would be made to go on a fender, not the epiphone body you have.

I have bought a Guitarfetish neck, and I only needed to polish the frets. It had no fret level issue. Perhaps I just got lucky. I did need to cut the nut at my desired height. another good skill to acquire. Before I bought my nut files, I used to use a feeler-gage with some 120 grit sandpaper wrapped on a desired width to file the slots.
I could also suggest finding a 24 3/4" neck on ebay with an unaltered heel to use for your sg.
Last edited by Darrell_Licht at Nov 8, 2013,