Context: im about to join this band that already has 2 guitarists. originally i was going to take over bass, but then my friend aaron asks to try out for bass. the people still want me, but supposedly aaron is pretty good on bass too, so hes trying out as well, meaning i might be a 3rd guitarist/synth player

honestly, aaron probably wont get in. what will most likely happen is one of the guitarists will switch to bass and ill take lead/keyboard

but just in case they DO accept my friend aaron on bass, im wondering what kind of stuff i should do as a 3rd guitarist?

my idea is somewhat of a "jake bowen" kind of thing: mainly leads and ambient kinds of stuff, but i want some other ideas

like what are some bands that have 3rd guitarists, and what kind of stuff do they do? please make sure theyre useful, and not just totally redundant
Explosions In The Sky and Brand New on Daisy and The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
Well it really depends on what kind of band.

If I was the third guitarist in a band I would do whatever I wanted. The other 2 guitarists can play the songs fine by themselves so you won't be "tied down" to playing something that resembles the song. Just do whatever you feel an extra guitar can do.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Well it really depends on what kind of band.

If I was the third guitarist in a band I would do whatever I wanted. The other 2 guitarists can play the songs fine by themselves so you won't be "tied down" to playing something that resembles the song. Just do whatever you feel an extra guitar can do.

honestly, the best genre i could describe as would be post-hardcore, just less generic and whiny lol

also, i cant really "do whatever i wanted" because they have a strict idea on what they want their sound to be
Work closely with the other guitarists to figure out unique, complementary parts.

Most bands with 3 guitarists are pretty crap btw. Iron Maiden are not your average band, they are absolute pros on their instruments and put time into arranging their parts. The average band will have 2 guitars playing exactly the same thing and a 3rd guy needlessly shredding over it all.

I can't think of too many songs where I like the arrangement of more than two guitars. Nevertheless check out:

Hotel California - The Eagles (yes cliche I know but it has a lot of guitars)
Friday I'm in Love - The Cure (beautiful arrangement of multiple guitars)
Reptile - The Chuch (only two guitars but completely awesome arrangement of them)
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
good luck....

we are 2 guitarist in my coverband, we alternate on leads depending on difficulty and whether I can do the riff and sing at the same time. Our old bass player moved back into town and our bass-player at the time moved over to guitar seeing that it was his main instrument to begin with. Neither I nor my other guitarist are ego when it comes to play time but no matter how we cut up the song it really just sounded too much and or "buzy". I think, to be a third guitarist, your going to need to be really exceptional and pretty much a music genious to add something that 2 guitars can´t do on their own...especially if they´re set on a sound...and you counterparts should probably have their theory downpat too!!

there are some other downsides with 3 guitarists..
*like rehearsal room size, if it´s cramped to begin with it´s gunna get irritating
*money...one more mouth to feed
*travel...oh yeah one more amp/gear/guitar and ass that needs to fit in the van
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
On some of the Blue Oyster Cult songs with no keyboard parts, Allen Lanier would sometimes play guitar as well as Buck and Eric, although I think they usually kept the volume on his guitar low.