Hello, I'm Ronald Poe. My guitar keeps on making a hissing noise when my overdrive is off and when it's on it makes a horrid growl. It can be best described as "George Fisher of Cannibal Corpse choking in the middle of a performance, only brighter". Funny thing is my amp and setup sounded kinda Badass last week. Got any tips?

My guitar is a Fender Squier Stratocaster (It's about 3 years old but is in tune).
My amp is a Marshall 15 Watt (Got it at Hastings for Christmas)
My pedals include a; Wylde Wah Crybaby, Bass BigMuff, Boss Chorus Ensemble (with depth and rate maxed for a Goth/Halloween sound), Zakk Wylde Berserker Overdrive in that order. I have swapped the place of the Bass BigMuff and the Beserker Overdrive but still have problems.

It sounds tinny with an almost-as-bad growl when the Bass BigMuff is off. I've never had trouble with the other equipment before today. What should I do? Any tips at all?
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Oct 28, 2013,
what pedals are you running infront/behind the amp? Which ones are on/off when the hissing starts?

also, hope you're not trolling
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I'm dead serious and definitely not trolling! Anyway I told you the order of the pedals. The hissing starts when the Zakk Wylde Beserker Overdrive is off and stops when it's on. Like I said it started today and sounded fine last week. I also own a Boss DS-1 (AKA the Orange Box) and a Crybaby that stopped working a few months ago. Do you have any answers?
what happens when you run the amp with no pedals? Just amp > lead > guitar
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I just get a bad hiss when there's no pedals on. I get the growl otherwise but I got distortion on during that. Without the distortion I get a harsh tinny tone with a hint of the guitar without an amp and something abrasive. Not sure which is worst.
Could be a few things. First thing that comes to mind is your input jack on your guitar, do you have another guitar to use to rule that out? Could also be you amp, practice amps arnt usually known for quality. Could also be your speaker cone.
Which particular Marshall is it?
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by RonaldPoe
I'm pretty sure it's a MG15. Got any suggest on how to get my tone back?

New Amp.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by ambler3
+1

+2

That why I asked I suspected it was an MG.

We can give you some suggestions if you tell us your budget, location, styles of music you play and whether you plan to play just at home or gig etc.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
I'm a metalhead who'd like a good Melodic Death Metal tone but I got used to this tone now (it's great for Black Metal and sounds a little like Ihsahn of Emperor). I mostly just play in my room but would like to join a band. Anyway it's not as much a problem as it was before.