Page 1 of 2
What's the next thing you got to do to immediately improve your life?

For me, it's graduating and getting a placement.
dying

#edge

I'd like a promotion at work but the way my career in the UK works is that you start on a low salary and then get a pay rise each year for your first 6 years of service. So if I don't get promoted at the end of the academic year I'll get a £2k raise anyway
Disregard females, acquire currency.

I'm still working on the first one; I haven't really started on the second one.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'd like a promotion at work but the way my career in the UK works is that you start on a low salary and then get a pay rise each year for your first 6 years of service. So if I don't get promoted at the end of the academic year I'll get a £2k raise anyway

That is amazing.
Quote by K'Nuckles
That is amazing.

Well only because the starting salary is so low.

They expect most people to quit because it's such a stressful job so save the good salary for those who stay around.
Quote by captainsnazz
I'm going to write a Safari plugin that automatically hides your threads.

I'm also going to do a masters then a phd.

lol Macqueer.
Somehow coming into a giant sum of money is literally the only way my life could improve as of right now.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

How's being a teacher working for you?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

They expect most people to quit because it's such a stressful job so save the good salary for those who stay around.

Don't teachers earn 30-something grand after 5 years or so?
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Oct 29, 2013,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

What do you do? I used to work in Wetherspoons and the 'promotions' were a joke.
to work even harder to achieve my goals
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
Quote by Philip_pepper
How's being a teacher working for you?

Don't teachers earn 30-something grand after 5 years or so?

It's going well thanks.

Yeah teachers earn 30k after 6 years, but the salary scale starts at 21k and goes up by 2 grand or so each year until you reach 30k.

Promotions in teaching are things like becoming a head of year or taking some subject responsibility. These come with additional payments of 2-5 grand or so (more for higher status jobs like head of department) and this goes on top of your standard pay.

Newly qualified teachers have a long wait until the job pays the same as its industry equivalent if you ask me
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's going well thanks.

Yeah teachers earn 30k after 6 years, but the salary scale starts at 21k and goes up by 2 grand or so each year until you reach 30k.

Promotions in teaching are things like becoming a head of year or taking some subject responsibility. These come with additional payments of 2-5 grand or so (more for higher status jobs like head of department) and this goes on top of your standard pay.

Newly qualified teachers have a long wait until the job pays the same as its industry equivalent if you ask me

Well, it's not THAT much less than what optoms earn. At least you guys get longer summer holidays. I mean, that's a definite plus, yeah?
Quote by Philip_pepper
Well, it's not THAT much less than what optoms earn. At least you guys get longer summer holidays. I mean, that's a definite plus, yeah?

Exept, you can't go outside during the school holidays in case you meet any of those little bastards that you have to teach for a living. Especialy the weird ones that are likely to follow you home to find out where you live.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Oh yeah sure. And it's really rewarding.

I don't want to seem ungrateful about money, just saying that most other graduate professions start at at least 25 these days

Yeah I get what you're saying. Its a bit low for a grad job that takes 4 years to train for though.

After my 4 year course we spend one year in training, earning anywhere from 13K to 21K. Afterwards it's 25K, and after a few years it's 30K. You're lucky to ever hit 35K.

And no long summer holiday
Suicide.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Suicide.

****nut stole my answer
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^ haha yeah and there's that!

Oh god it's nearly Halloween and I live in catchment

Stock up on supplies.
Keep the curtains closed.
Don't turn on the lights and only listen to the TV via headphones.
Quote by K'Nuckles
21k is not low. I was on 14 or something shit.

I think U.S. teachers start out in that general area (14-21k or about 30-40k USD). Probably doesn't increase as much though.
College teacher here starts at 24k-27k euro's gross.

average after 10 years of work experience is 36k gross.

Total costs for the education needed is 8k (about 2k a year), but is pretty much for free if it's your first education after "college".

Workload as heard anecdotally seems medium - high depending highly on what school you work at.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 29, 2013,
Start asking the weirdos that jack off to my pictures to give me money.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Probably going to get my certificate in editing or take some continuing classes for adults related to business. I can't quite push myself to get a master's in whatever. Costs too much and I don't want to spend $200k on something I'm not passionate about.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
I want to build a jack-o-lantern that shoots candy at people passing buy. I might not make it in time for halloween, but maybe next year.

What does this have to do with success? Very little, as with most things in my life.

When I think about the things I want to do, none of them are related to the traditional understanding of "success". Right now I'm doing okay and not striving to become more "successful", whatever that means.
Page 1 of 2