anyone have the problem where you picked up the bass for fun and it ended up becoming your main instrument by accident. no hate towards bass players but ive always preferred playing the electric guitar and now that people wont stop using me as a bass player ive become good at bass but i dont have the chance to play guitar much anymore. ive thought about "dropping the bass" , but i guess if you can play bass you'll always will be needed more.
Gradually make bass noises instead of playing bass, then once there's hardly any actual bass playing left just come in with a guitar guitar instead.
I did that. I ended up playing bass in the band I was in for almost 5 years. I got really good, but my first love was, and still is, 6 string guitar.
The fact is that for every good bass player, you will find 100 people who want to play guitar. Your best option is to try and get your own thing going. Write some music if you can, and find some people to play with. You may have to be the bass player for a while, but you can find someone later and pick your guitar back up.

The short is: good bass players are hard to find. It is easier to find good guitar players, so if you want to set yourself apart, you will have to be a really great guitar player.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Weaponized
""dropping the bass"" LOL

It's funny cuz it has 2 meanings
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by NothingRocks

Well this changes everything.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
I honestly think I would prefer being the bass player to lead guitarist in my band - but we are some kind of jazz/RnB hybrid - and I'm also into funk, disco and trip-hop. In other words, I seem to have grown into enjoying the genres where bass is core both rhythmically and melodically, rather than most rock/metal, where guitars serve that purpose. Don't really know how, though.
I would have to guess that the bassist in my band feels this way, and he is a freaking EXCELLENT bassist, better than any I've seen in person. Fact is he's got to be the most talented in the band, he could hand us our asses on guitar too.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I find that there are some guitarists who just flat out refuse to play bass even if they can, so if people know someone who is willing to play either, they will probably ask them to play bass. If you're good at bass, you should sell yourself as a bassist when it comes to joining bands as you will get a lot of work.

If you want to play guitar, the easiest way is to just start with a friend and hold fast on not playing bass, and maybe write some original stuff so that you will be hard to replace.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by adamgur96
It's funny cuz it has 2 meanings

The first meaning is that he would stop playing bass and the second is like when the bass drops in elctronic music.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
stick with both, but if youre really that good, then embrace the bass!

ryanbwags is right, actual good bassists are harder to find than a cute white girl WITHOUT self-esteem issues

sure, you can get in a number of bands as a guitarist, but bands will line up at your door if word gets around that youre good at bass
Quote by shelovemyguitar
The first meaning is that he would stop playing bass and the second is like when the bass drops in elctronic music.

Those are definitely the two meanings, these things.
Play both equally like me
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
get an octave up pedal. best of both worlds.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
The bass generally has a different role than guitars in a band, but as far as I'm concerned they're only meant to fill the low end, so play it like lead guitar, just with lower notes, make it work, who cars. Then only main difference is most chords sound unpleasant on bass.
Quote by stratkat
The bass generally has a different role than guitars in a band, but as far as I'm concerned they're only meant to fill the low end, so play it like lead guitar, just with lower notes, make it work, who cars. Then only main difference is most chords sound unpleasant on bass.

Chords sound lovely on a 6-string bass.
"It's better to be kind. Being clever or good looking is subjective. Kindness is essential" - Ricky Gervais
I play both and find it useful to play both. I've carried a lot of techniques and ideas over. I started on bass around 10 years ago and started learning guitar around 7 years ago. I play them both 50/50.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by stratkat
they're only meant to fill the low end, so play it like lead guitar

thats probably one of the most inflammatory things you could ever say to a bassist
My current bass player played guitar for years, but switched to bass in his last band after they got tired of flakey bass players. The cool thing is that he was a great guitar player, so we can get some pretty strong bass lines.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by Rojam
My current bass player played guitar for years, but switched to bass in his last band after they got tired of flakey bass players. The cool thing is that he was a great guitar player, so we can get some pretty strong bass lines.

I wouldn't put that down to him being a great guitar player, but him being a great musician. I've seen plenty of guitarists-turned-bassists who can twiddle around and whatever, but with very little understanding of sonic space and they just make it sound like a jumbled mess when in a band context.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I wouldn't put that down to him being a great guitar player, but him being a great musician. I've seen plenty of guitarists-turned-bassists who can twiddle around and whatever, but with very little understanding of sonic space and they just make it sound like a jumbled mess when in a band context.

lets be honest, most guitarists-turned-bassists really just play a lower-pitched guitar

just because your play bass guitar doesnt make you a bassist. ive seen too many bassists that just play like guitarists, writing "riffs" instead of "lines" or "grooves"
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Guitar trapped as bassist. Send help. Tell my kids I love them
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
oh no you have a marketable skill and people want to use your marketable skill oh noooo
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter