I tried covering my fretboard with stickers but it still felt the same. when I play its all robotic and i want to get this thing that has become a habit of sorts to **** off outta my brains.
I think you have to be abit more specific with what your problem is, atleast if you want a good answer.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I think I get what you're asking. Are you looking for a way to break out of traditional scales and positions?

If so, I would recommend you to learn to play more vertically instead of horizontally. Most starting guitarists will improvise in the pentatonic minor scale, for instance in the cube of the 5th and 7th fret when playing in the key of A. But it's equally as important to master the same notes in different positions on the guitar. For instance, instead of playing a "5" on the 3d string, you could play a "10" on the 2nd string. Experiment with this and you will soon realise that there really aren't that many 'wrong' notes. The fretboard can seem intimidating as there are more than 100 frets, but remember that there are only 12 different notes that just repeat over your neck.

To bring more variaty in your playing, use "in-between notes" as well. Don't blindly follow the traditional scales but use your own ear to decide for yourself which notes sound good together. For example, while it is technically frowned upon to play a 6th fret on the 2nd string when playing in the key of A, Black Sabbath used this dissonant note in first track of their first album and made history doing so. A famous quote comes to mind: "There are no wrong notes, only the look on your face."

Hope you find this helpful in finding a way to express your creative ideas. Peace!
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Stop playing. Seriously, put down the guitar and step away from it. Go in to another room and think about the sounds you want to make. Once you know what you want to sound like, try and get that out of the guitar rather than just sitting and running the same stuff over and over.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Also stop looking at your guitar when you're trying to answer the question of "what should I play next?" and start listening to it instead.

Getting rid of those daft stickers should be the first thing you do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I was a monster-nitrous(anti-gravity/killer bee) fanatic and covered my guitar with 30 stickers from the tops of the cans. My warlock looks sorta like Rhoad's V that way

As for the fretboard, 9 of those stickers covered the first 9 frets( they only fitted up to 9). It was just something I did. Theyre gone now (except from the body) thank you
Last edited by Polydox at Nov 3, 2013,