So I'm looking to get my first ibanez and I have $900 to spend on a used ibanez but don't know a thing about them. I want one with 24frets,decent pickups and a good trem any suggestions?
You've got a hell of a lot of options for good used Ibby's at that price. You can pick up a whole range of prestiges in that price range no problem. I'd recommend buying a prestige at around 750 and then using the rest to throw a good set of pickups in it yourself like a CL/LF set. You could definitely find a 3550 or 2550 in that price range no problem and if you want to save some money you can grab a 1570 in really good shape and then have a good amount of cash left over to upgrade the pickups to a very good set. I ended up grabbing a 1570 and spent the rest of my budget on a CL/LF set and have been very very pleased. They're not as fancy, but the 1570's are excellent guitars, especially considering you can find damn near pristine ones for ~600 bucks.

Oh, and as far as tremolos go, if you're not going to be abusing it and just doing the occasional vibrato, they're all rather good, but if you're going to be using it a lot, the ZR/ZR-II and Edge Pro are excellent along with the original Edge and Lo-Pro Edge. I'd avoid the Edge III though. It's not as horrible as people say it is, but it's, at least in my opinion, the worst tremolo Ibanez has put out. From personal experience, I've liked most all Ibanez trems I've used compared to the competition, but I've only really owned two for an extended period of time (the ZR and the Edge Pro) and I greatly prefer the Edge Pro. It's a more solid feeling tremolo, though the ZR is MUCH smoother due to the ball bearings, and the more traditional routing/lack of zero point system makes blocking it/installing a tremol-no much easier/possible. If a tradition tremolo is of top importance to you, shot for something with an original edge, a lo-pro edge, or the edge pro.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Nov 5, 2013,
Awesome thanks I guess my main concern is playability over looks and pickups. I could always change pickups on a more expensive one down the line. Right now I have an Edwards pink sawtooth and it's the best guitar I've ever played but I want something more versatile than a one pickup metal guitar.
Quote by frank.victoriou
Awesome thanks I guess my main concern is playability over looks and pickups. I could always change pickups on a more expensive one down the line. Right now I have an Edwards pink sawtooth and it's the best guitar I've ever played but I want something more versatile than a one pickup metal guitar.

Word, if looks aren't important and you don't care about upgrading the pickups immediately, I'd shoot for a RG3550MZ or something around there. To be honest, I'd just hit ebay, search Ibanez Prestige, and find one that you like the most in the price range and then research/look up aspects of the design and start narrowing down. For 900 bucks, that's the first model that comes to mind that has some nice specs (actually ships with DiMarzio's, has an Edge Zero tremolo, has 24 frets, is a well made Japanese Prestige, etc.). Like I said though, don't be limited to that model or something, there's A TON of Ibanez models in the range/price bracket to satisfy, but it's a nice starting point to expect things. I don't know how old/how used you're willing to go, but if you don't care about that, you open yourself up to even more Ibanez models. the ~1000 dollar range is the sweet spot for Ibby's used if you ask me, and you can pretty much get anything you want in that price range. My first Prestige was an S2170FB (which many people overlook/undervalue as it's a Korean Prestige and not Japanese), but I wouldn't overlook them either. They're also excellent and, while I can't speak for all of them, my Korean Prestige has been just as good/well finished/built as my Japanese RG Prestige.
Taylor 214CE

Used ESP Horizon
Used PRS CE24
Used Ibanez 3550
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is there one up there with the 3550MZ that has rosewood or ebony? I played a rgqm I believe it was one of the premium ones and it played amazing I can only imagine how great the prestige ones will feel.
What sort of pickups are you looking for? Do you want a pickguard? You can find used rg1570's for $600 all the time, swap in your favorite pickups and be easily under $900. If you like the tone zone & air norton pair, you could look at the 3570. The IBZ pickups in the 2550 are pretty decent for stock. And both of those should be under a grand used.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
What sort of pickups are you looking for? Do you want a pickguard? You can find used rg1570's for $600 all the time, swap in your favorite pickups and be easily under $900. If you like the tone zone & air norton pair, you could look at the 3570. The IBZ pickups in the 2550 are pretty decent for stock. And both of those should be under a grand used.

I'm not really worried about a pick gaurd and pickups, just looking to get the best quality ibanez I can. Is the 3570,2550 and 3550 that much better than a 1570?
The newer 3000 series have the TKS in the neck, but I don't think I've ever heard of a prestige neck getting deformed. Other than that, it's just cosmetics (inlays & pickguard) and pickups. Put it this way, I own 9 MiJ Ibanez guitars and my go-to guitar is my rg1570. And that was a mint used guitar that I picked up for $550. At that price, I don't think there are any other guitars on the market that can compare, period.

The only issue I have with it, it's black. Rather have some outlandish color
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by frank.victoriou
So I'm looking to get my first ibanez and I have $900 to spend on a used ibanez but don't know a thing about them.

Out of curiosity -- if you don['t know a thing about them, then why are you looking to get an Ibanez at all?
Quote by dspellman
Out of curiosity -- if you don['t know a thing about them, then why are you looking to get an Ibanez at all?

I played a few and I love the necks, they all felt nice but I don't know what models I should be looking for, what trem and things like that. Only thing I know is the wizard necks are so comfortable.
Quote by frank.victoriou
I played a few and I love the necks, they all felt nice but I don't know what models I should be looking for, what trem and things like that. Only thing I know is the wizard necks are so comfortable.

Got it.

Just so that you know, that shape of neck is available on other brands of guitar.

For example, I have an LP-alike that has a neck that's 17mm deep at the first fret, 20.5mm deep at the 12th fret (very similar to Wizard dimensions), 1 3/4" wide at the nut and that has a 16" radius with jumbo frets.
So I got a 1570 in mirage red and didn't really like it. The premium ibanez I played felt better to me, I'd probably shoot for a 3550mz if its much better than a 1570. If its just the looks that are different then I'm not sure what I'd get lol
What didn't you like about it? I don't really notice any difference between my 1570 and 3570. I like my 1570 more because it has the edge pro compared to the 3570's edge zero. The necks on my rga121, rg1570, rg2550e, rg2570 and rg3570 feel pretty much the same.

Is it possible that the 1570 had a horrible setup? The previous owner might have had the action set too high (or low). I've put at least an hour worth of setup into each of my used Prestiges. Actually, the 1570's previous owner had it setup pretty much perfect :P

Or maybe you just prefer the premium neck profile? If so, get one!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The action was extremely high and it wouldn't lower no matter how much I turned it on the treble side. I also like really low action and thin necks. The stores over here don't have any rg prestiges to try out so it would be a big risk!
Maybe the neck needs shimmed, one of the things you may need to do to get the crazy low action!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by frank.victoriou
The action was extremely high and it wouldn't lower no matter how much I turned it on the treble side. I also like really low action and thin necks. The stores over here don't have any rg prestiges to try out so it would be a big risk!

Quote by DarthV
Maybe the neck needs shimmed, one of the things you may need to do to get the crazy low action!

Good point, it may need some shimming. I'd assume you could tell if it needed a truss rod adjustment but the Edge can go really deep into the cavity, so I'm surprised it's still so high with regards to action. Perhaps it's shimmed under the locking nut up top. I'm only surprised because my 1570-MRR has no shims anywhere and my edge is nowhere close to being as low as it can go and it has the lowest action of any of my guitars. It's a dream.

I've tried many a prestige and have owned a few, but my mirage red 1570 has been my go to guitar the whole time. It's easily the best playing guitars I've ever had. There's just something about it. Assuming they're set up correctly, you can't really beat them, because when I got my 1570 I was looking at Premium models and stumbled upon it. It was leaps and bounds better, though the Premium RG's are excellent as well.
Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at Nov 5, 2013,
My RGR1570 has really low action and no buzz anywhere, smooth like butter!
mine too, still could go lower. yeah, the 1570 is a great guitar for the money...i'd say the best i can think of
What about looking for used RGT3020?
I've checked this guitar and fall in love, I'm gonna get one soon.