I started playing guitar a couple of years ago and all this time, I've basically tried to learn songs through reading tabs. Sure, I've improved a lot since I started. Taking small lessons on youtube on how to do pinch harmonics and such. I feel pretty comfortable with my playing.

Lately however, I feel that I'm not actually accomplishing something new. I play songs I kind of already know and after that, I put my guitar down. I've decided that I want to leave this for a while and go straight to learning new stuff I never understood before.

So lets get this straight. I have no freaking clue on how all these "scales" and "keys" work. I barely even know what they are. I dont know where to start, what places to look at etc. I know it's very important to learn these things when you want to create your own songs, solos, riffs etc and thats exactly what I want to do next.

I'm playing in either drop B or A# tuning, and If I've understood correct. The scales for E standard does not work on these tunings, or I'm completely off?

If you have tips on GOOD threads and sites or just want to explain here, go ahead.

Appreciate all help I can get
I would probably get a good, basic music theory book* (assuming you're willing to buy a book). Don't laugh, but i found "the complete idiot's guide to music theory" to be pretty good. It's general, rather than guitar-based, but I found it pretty good. Admittedly I also play piano, so the fact it's not guitar-based wasn't a problem for me, so bear that in mind.

David Mead's "Scales and Chords for guitarists" (that might not be the exact title, it's along those lines, though) is pretty good, too.

I haven't read it but I think i've heard good things about "music theory" by tom kolb, too. (it's guitar-specific)

Obviously books aren't the only way to do it, you may prefer to do something that's computer-based or something like that. I would say though that if you're totally clueless (your words, not mine ) about music theory, your best bet is something which starts at the start/with the basics and which gives you a good basic grounding in theory, and which approaches it in a sensible, structured order- i.e. not piecemeal, which watching various random videos on e.g. youtube can end up being. And which if you're not careful can confuse you even more.

*I should probably point out that almost all music books I've bought have had mistakes in there somewhere, so that's worth bearing in mind. It can get confusing if it's trying to explain something to you which it has got wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Music in Theory and Practice. The book used at my school. My teacher says it's one of the books with the least amount of mistakes. I read that book so many ****en times...
Just buy a capo, you'll only have to learn the I, IV, V chords of three or four keys. Then you refer to the chromatic scale to know where to put it. If you''re feeling adventurous, you can learn the ii, iii, & vi chords in at least one or two of the other keys you just learned..

(Somebody's going to get on my shit for posting this, aren't they)...?
Quote by Kvirre
I started playing guitar a couple of years ago and all this time, I've basically tried to learn songs through reading tabs. Sure, I've improved a lot since I started. Taking small lessons on youtube on how to do pinch harmonics and such. I feel pretty comfortable with my playing.

Lately however, I feel that I'm not actually accomplishing something new. I play songs I kind of already know and after that, I put my guitar down. I've decided that I want to leave this for a while and go straight to learning new stuff I never understood before.

So lets get this straight. I have no freaking clue on how all these "scales" and "keys" work. I barely even know what they are. I dont know where to start, what places to look at etc. I know it's very important to learn these things when you want to create your own songs, solos, riffs etc and thats exactly what I want to do next.

I'm playing in either drop B or A# tuning, and If I've understood correct. The scales for E standard does not work on these tunings, or I'm completely off?

If you have tips on GOOD threads and sites or just want to explain here, go ahead.

Appreciate all help I can get

No, you are correct. If all things remain the same, pattern wise from E standard, it will be the same for strings 1-5, as far as patterns (but they will not be the same notes) for the 6th string, you'll have to move the pattern on that string only forward by 2 frets

Best,

Sean
Quote by Deadds
Music in Theory and Practice. The book used at my school. My teacher says it's one of the books with the least amount of mistakes. I read that book so many ****en times...

I'm not familiar with that one, but yeah getting one with as few mistakes as possible is super-important. I already knew enough about theory that I could spot mistakes, but if you're starting from scratch, you won't have that luxury.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?