Page 1 of 2
While trying out random stuff I found this scale. I don't know if it's my original invention or if it exists, but I couldn't find it and I don't even know how I would name it.

So first, does anybody know what this scale is ( this is the tab for the scale in A )???

D---------------------------------6------7-----
A---------------6-----7----8-------------------
E--5--7--8-------------------------------------

I can see that it has elements of the natural minor scale, the blues scale in a way, and the harmonic minor scale, but I don't know which one it is exactly.

I also know that if you solo with it, you will almost never play the three notes on A together even if you go in a line.

Can somebody who is good with theory write me down a list of chords that would go well with this, or even better, a chord progression, I would really appreciate it.

Try this scale out please and tell me what you think.
This is pretty much something known as the Hungarian minor scale (built on A in this case), but with a minor sixth as opposed to a major sixth degree which would be typically found in Hungarian minor. Hungarian minor is itself just the rising melodic minor scale with a sharp fourth scale degree.

Ripping triads straight out of the scale (almost) yields:

A minor
B Major (have faith)
C augmented
D# diminished (once again, have faith)
E Major
F Major
G# minor

As such, you might try something like | Am - B - E - Am | as a variation on I - ii - V - I and related progressions (mainly with regards to their root movement, since there could be a veritable war over the fundamental structure of progressions of the two-five-one form.)

Not the best analysis, but it might shed some light on the matter.
You might could use some double modals.
I see this as an A harmonic minor scale with a b5 from the blues scale. In this particular run the player ommitted the 4th.

Sure I don't have a super exotic name for you, but it's much more likely that your song will be in the key of A minor rather than A hungarian.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
b5's don't come from blues scales. b5's are just b5's. I don't listen to Hungarian music but when I see a b5, to me it implies V of V or a vii of V.

anyway

A minor = name of scale or key

A Hungarian = name of scale
^^^ I was just trying to make it simple mate. Your hungarian scale will function as a minor scale irrespective of what name you give to it.
Soundcloud
Somewhat ironically, (as a member of tab city), I do better at reading scales off a musical staff. Oh woe is me. Will this ever happen?

Anyway, I don't think there's such a thing as a major scale in any of the former Warsaw Pact nations....

It's the brutal winters! I think they might even use a Frygiad 2nd.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 30, 2013,
Quote by AETHERA
This is pretty much something known as the Hungarian minor scale (built on A in this case), but with a minor sixth as opposed to a major sixth degree which would be typically found in Hungarian minor. Hungarian minor is itself just the rising melodic minor scale with a sharp fourth scale degree.

Ripping triads straight out of the scale (almost) yields:

A minor
B Major (have faith)
C augmented
E Major
F Major
G# minor

As such, you might try something like | Am - B - E - Am | as a variation on I - ii - V - I and related progressions (mainly with regards to their root movement, since there could be a veritable war over the fundamental structure of progressions of the two-five-one form.)

Not the best analysis, but it might shed some light on the matter.

Thank you really much for your response! You really answered all of my questions. I will try a progression like that, thank you!

___

I have come up with this progression -

Am
B
E
B
Am
Abm
F followed by Fm
E

While the bass makes a line based on the chords and has some notes to link the chords together.
Last edited by realsmoky at Oct 30, 2013,
Harmonic minor with a #4/b5, I suppose.

The name doesn't really matter. It's how you use the scale that matters. I'd use it over dominants in a minor key, myself.
Quote by realsmoky

I have come up with this progression -

Am
B
E
B
Am
Abm
F followed by Fm
E

Cool now tell us what key that's in.
Soundcloud
There are so many sharps in the rest of those chords, how about we call, "Abm", "G#m" instead? That would be iii, in E major.

As far as F >Fm, >E goes, that's sooooo Phrygian.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 31, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
As far as F >Fm, >E goes, that's sooooo Phrygian.

That's true, but the start is firmly in Am.

Basically what this means is that harmonising the random scale resulted in nothing useful.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Cool now tell us what key that's in.
I'm hard pressed to decide if it's in E major, (with all the bouncing around from B >E). But, as you point out it starts on Am. In any case, I though the "Hungarian" scale was also considered, a "gypsy" scale, which leads us to all the Andalusian noodling about at the 0 & 1st fret.

Or perhaps, "One more cup of white rabbit flavored coffee".

But since we're going from F > E, perhaps the white knight really is talking backwards..
^^^ I think there's at least one key change. This means that the root of the scale would not stay on A, negating the point of harmonising it.
Soundcloud

scales are a real trap. they're all description, no function. knowing what notes are in the piece does nothing to tell me how you use them, just as telling me a key doesn't tell me which of the 12 notes you'll use (though it'll give me a good idea), but it will tell me how it resolves, or where it can smoothly modulate.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Piece of advice:
Decide what your key is BEFORE you make up a progression and then use this scale over the progression. I would say, at first glance, that (based on just the notes of the scales) the key is A minor. As others have said, this is an A harmonic minor scale with a b5. So...knowing both the key and that the scale is going to function as a variation of the harmonic minor scale, choose a progression.
Hint: There's no reason to just pick 7 chords because they sound "good". There should be a logical and musical reason for the chords in your progression.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 31, 2013,
Alan, are you thinking/hearing a modulation from A minor to E major (and possibly back to A minor) in the OP's progression?
You might could use some double modals.
I don't see a point in harmonizing the scale and then using the chords you got. I mean, the scale may not sound good over all of those chords. Many times more exotic scales work over just one or two chord progressions. So maybe just try using the scale over a long Am chord.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you feel up to some russo-slavic 6 string abuse, this is the best place I can think to start.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF2N2MIRpBs

The tab: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/al_stewart/roads_to_moscow_crd.htm You can see the modulations from the key of Em..to some Am, then finally to a Phrygian "modal" (E Phryg, E to F(maj7?). In the latter case the E note functions as a pedal.

I any case, Mr Stewart manages to capture the darkness and desperation of the situation.

(I think this is on the record in Ebm, (a tune me down), very dark)).

My point here is, I doubt they're confining themselves to one very special found scale.

I suppose we could linger in Hungary, or travel a bit further east to Russia and visit Mr. Mussorgsky.
Naming scales is stupid and serves no purpose.

But tell you what TS, I'll tell you that the scale is called the Anubis Gypsy minor scale and you can tell all your guitarist friends about it.
Quote by griffRG7321

But tell you what TS, I'll tell you that the scale is called the Anubis Gypsy minor scale and you can tell all your guitarist friends about it.
Rock on bro....!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anubis
Quote by griffRG7321

This.

These threads are so pointless.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by British_Steal
This.

These threads are so pointless.
Yes perhaps. But we've actually been there, mentioned that, and put that part of the thread to rest.

I can't speak for the others, but I'm just having fun with it.

But in truth, you're dead wrong. The majority who spout that same dogma, can, in the next breath, tell you which mode has a flat 5th or whatever, and they're referring back to the major scale as a yardstick.

So, learning basic scales is neither dumb or pointless.

And in this case, tentatively, TS has learned that certain exotic scale patterns can't be harmonized effectively using typical diatonic sensibilities.

So, even if you consider these threads to be pointless, they eventually form a soapbox for your point of view. With that in mind, they do serve a purpose after all.

Which leads us to this punchline, since so many members join in these frays, pointless or not, we might get bored if threads like this didn't happen.

"Better a pointless thread, which you can choose to participate in or not, than no thread at all"!
Quote by griffRG7321

Seriously?

Any reference for that name?
Quote by realsmoky
Seriously?

He's pulling your leg, dude. (And you're letting him.)
Quote by realsmoky
Seriously?

you're cute.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by realsmoky
Seriously?

Soundcloud
Quote by AETHERA

A minor
B Major (have faith)
C augmented
E Major
F Major
G# minor

Uh, you sure 'bout that? I was under the impression that a B major chord had an F# in it.

It'd be some weird chord constructed from a major third and a diminished fifth off of B, which I can't even think of the name of.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Nov 1, 2013,
Quote by Mister A.J.
Uh, you sure 'bout that? I was under the impression that a B major chord had an F# in it.

It'd be some weird chord constructed from a major third and a diminished third off of B, which I can't even think of the name of.
Hm......, how 'bout, "B major/minor tone cluster f***"....?
Quote by Captaincranky
Hm......, how 'bout, "B major/minor tone cluster f***"....?

I rather like that. Let's just stick to that.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Mister A.J.
I rather like that. Let's just stick to that.

Cool now make a chord progression using all the chords and tell me what key it's in.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Cool now make a chord progression using all the chords and tell me what key it's in.
Oh, what the hell.......E Major (b6 sometimes) > E Phrygian, with an imperfect resolution to A minor.

Ah c'mon Alan, I did narrow it down to 2 1/2 or 3 keys for ya......
^^^

The b5 was always destined to be a passing note unfortunately. I'm sure if you ommitted the b5 from the harmonising process the function of the scale would remain in its original form.
Soundcloud
Quote by realsmoky
Well, I think I WILL call it the Anubis Minor scale as it reminds me of Egypt in a way and it sounds a bit evil and darkish to me.

I'm gonna have to repeat what adam said: "You're cute".

Try as I might, I just couldn't find a picture of Anubis giving out a "high five".

I feel I've failed you......
Quote by Captaincranky
Try as I might, I just couldn't find a picture of Anubis giving out a "high five".

I feel I've failed you......

Do not fear! I've found it!

Page 1 of 2