OK so i've now managed to play 80% (ish i'm guessing) of Enter Sandman at tempo with decent accuray, i'm now looking into learning the solo. I have NO expierance learning solo's or even soloing at that speed, are there any scales / techniques i should get down before even attempting this solo

Side Note: Don't have a Wah Pedal, is that going to be problematic?
Haha that was the first solo I learnt too
It's one of kirks easier solos but still a bit of a challenge for a beginner
There is a lot of teqnieques in there
I recommend for your first couple of solos find a video lesson online for them until you get use to learning them
In my opinion I reckon it sounds better without wah so don't worry too much but it is still good to have one just cause their mega
I remember when I could "play the solo to Entersandman". Looking back, I could not play it for shit haha. Give it a shot and take it slow, do your best to play each note as accurately as possible paying particular attention to timing.

I'm still recovering from bad habits that were formed when I used to just fudge solos. You'll be a lot happier, and better of a player if you learn them correctly and take your time.

IIRC the solo is just based around the E minor pentatonic scale. If you don't know it already, you should learn the pentatonic scale in 5 different positions.

Go for it pal, and learn the techniques as you go. It's the only way.
You have to start somewhere. Just practice correctly and try not to develop any bad habbits. Break up the solo into several parts and practice those. Mess around and try to play it in a way that you're the most comfortable with.

The first time I got a solo right is when I realised I can start with an upstroke as well. Small thing, but it honestly boosted my speed from like 60% to 80%.

If you can't play it cleanly and up to speed just yet, give it some time, let it rest. Learn some other songs in the meantime and get back to it later. You'll be nailing the solo before you know it.
Quote by wildozer
I remember when I could "play the solo to Entersandman". Looking back, I could not play it for shit haha. Give it a shot and take it slow, do your best to play each note as accurately as possible paying particular attention to timing.

I'm still recovering from bad habits that were formed when I used to just fudge solos. You'll be a lot happier, and better of a player if you learn them correctly and take your time.

IIRC the solo is just based around the E minor pentatonic scale. If you don't know it already, you should learn the pentatonic scale in 5 different positions.

Go for it pal, and learn the techniques as you go. It's the only way.

I do have a scale book i bought a couple of years ago, should i just practise the Em pent for a while before i start to think about learning the actual solo?
Quote by Tcrumpen
I do have a scale book i bought a couple of years ago, should i just practise the Em pent for a while before i start to think about learning the actual solo?

I wouldn't worry about that so much. Just know this shape for starters: http://www.jimbowley.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Minor-pentatonic.png

The R notes are your root. In the case of this solo the root note is an E as it is played in the key of E minor. So if you play this scale shape beginning on the 12th fret of the low E string (which is an E note), you will be playing the E minor pentatonic scale. Likewise you can transpose it by starting the shape on any note you wish. The one pictured begins on the 5th fret, making it an A minor pentatonic if you were to play it as shown.

So, know that shape and you can play the minor pentatonic scale. It wont take you long to learn.

break the solo up into sections and take it slowly. Now quit stalling and just learn the bloody thing!
Quote by Tcrumpen

I would say no. The good thing about learning solos and being aware of theory is that you can use things like this to teach you scales. You can learn the solo and be aware of what bits of it do and do not fit in to the minor pentatonic.

Besides which, running the scale won't actually help you learn the solo that much; the vast majority of solos don't actually run scales the way you do if you're just drilling them to a metronome. It's extremely useful to know them and be familiar with the way they're laid out on the fretboard but spending time running scales to a metronome is pretty pointless when you could be learning real music.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It was the second solo i learnt, you probably won't be able to play it at speed but give it a go, it's probably the easiest metallica solo, some good techniques in there and it won't sound 100% correct without a wah wah but it won't matter that much
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert