Page 1 of 2
So how did you guys get used to the dissonant distorted guitars and harsh vocals ?

for me I think I got into prog rock and 70s heavy metal through Guitar Hero and Rock Band, which got me into shit like avenged sevenfold and bullet for my valentine and tool. After that I moved to Opeth and they're the band that broke my cherry for harsh vocals.

First song with harsh/growls vocals that I got into :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IyeexTiQE

think I was about 12 or 13 years old.

how bout u ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I seem to recall Like Light To The Flies by Trivium being my first Metal song. It was quite wonderful and I'm feeling so nostalgic now that I shall go listen to Trivium.
Shouldn't this be like, "extreme metal" ? Because there doesn't have to be harsh vocals for it to be "metal."

I started very similarly with Guitar Hero. That basically got me into Iron Maiden, which then led to Helloween. When I first heard Helloween my freshman year of high school it basically changed the way I listened to and thought about music. Their Walls of Jericho album both got me into the more aggressive stuff, and also introduced me to Agent Steel (in the liner notes).

But for extreme metal, I'd say it would have to be Wintersun. Maybe Trivium also, but I seem to recall Wintersun's s/t as being the first harsh vocals album I ever purchased.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAXtDPKkOlA

I mind seeing this on some sort of music channel/YouTube and thinking 'this is the shit for me'. After that got into yr Sabbath and yr Maiden and such, but it was aw about the In Flames at the start.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
yo calum. i'm seeing This Town Needs Guns, 65daysofstatic, And So I Watch You From Afar and Caspian next week
Quote by illuminatiano
yo calum. i'm seeing This Town Needs Guns, 65daysofstatic, And So I Watch You From Afar and Caspian next week

On the one bill?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Start with Nu Metal, then I got into In Flames, then I got into Cannibal Corpse and Lamb of God.

It just kind of went from there.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by eazy-c
On the one bill?

nope (luckily), two bills, a few days apart from each other. All of em are headlining
I was 12 years old when sweet child o mine came on end of 1999 million video countdown. On mtv saw slash and then started on air guitar with a broom for a couple years before I stole an acoustic..
I don't love much metal or anything. But Rock Band/Guitar Hero definitely got me into the more metal style guitar playing and I started listening to bands like A7X. I didn't like harsh vocals at all until listening to Protest the Hero and BTBAM. I still mainly prefer hardcore/metalcore style harsh vocals of Converge, Dillinger, Norma Jean, ETID than the metal growls though.

BTBAM and the rare Protest song that uses them are really all I care for in that department.

Probably some Opeth too.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 29, 2013,
The first song that got me into heavy metal was - Operation Ground and Pound by Dragonforce. Many years ago I watched MTV's Headbanger's Ball and suddenly that song/music video appeared on the screen.
Never break the rules, devour them!
Yeah Guitar Hero World Tour got me into metal properly you could say. It got me into music a lot more in general.

Scream. Aim. Fire by Bullet For My Valentine was probably the biggest breakthrough for me.

Also enjoyed B.Y.O.B by SOAD.

Introduced to Tool at that point to later I would delve into more.

Then started listening to albums like The Poison and Scream. Aim. Fire by BFMV... Some Slipknot, Start Something by Lostprophets. Mostly Nu-Metal beforehand like old Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkits' Chocolate Starfish etc.

I'd listen/watch TV music channels like Kerrang and Scuzz and consume what they fed me. So the predictable stuff like classic 80's/90's rock/metal and up and coming at the time bands like Bring Me the Horizon and Asking Alexandria and all the fuzz.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
My initial gateway into heavier music came when I was younger, with stuff my sister would listen to, like "Worlds Collide" by Powerman 5000, Linkin Park, Saliva, etc.

Soon after that, she gave me an old copy of Metallica's "Garage Inc." that was her dad's (we have the same mom, different dads). It only had the second disc, and that was my first real dig into something that was fast, aggressive, and fun. Being 10 and hearing "So What", "Helpless", "Am I Evil?", etc.

"Last Caress/Green Hell" was, by far, my favorite of that disc. I didn't know they were all covers, and I didn't care. It was big, loud, fun, and energetic. Probably my first real dip into
"real" metal, before I even knew what that was.

After that, in seventh grade, I got really into Slipknot, Disturbed, and a bunch of others. I don't regret a thing, as they all led me to various other bands and sounds past them. I'll still sing along to most of "The Sickness" or "Believe" by Disturbed.

By high school, I had started playing guitar, and branching farther and farther out, and got more into "real" metal again after getting "Master of Puppets" for the first time, and listening to Mastodon, Children of Bodom, and then starting my wild multi-year binge of Opeth, and getting into more and more metal along the way.

Metallica was a big kickstarter for many eras of my metal life, though.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
All thanks to LimeWire. (RIP) My first peripherally metal band was probably SOAD (when BYOB was #1 on the charts), then Slipknot after an alt-metal phase (Vol 3 blew my mind at the time; now I'd be all like bro do you even Iowa). On to melodic metalcore (Killswitch, 36 Crazyfists, Trivium), then melodeath. I've heard that's how it usually goes.

I made it to Dark Tranquillity the year Fiction came out, and it's held up for six years. That's a sign of a good album.
i heard walk by pantera on the radio or something i dont rememebr where to be honest but i was like
"this sounds ****ing awesome" i was like 9 or something it was like 3 years before i found what the song was again and then went on to mettalica and iron maiden and slipknots first few albums and a couple of korn albums i got from my bro

in high school i started playing guitar and youtubes recommendd for you section has shown me the likes of alot of what i listen to now

and of course ug
Metallica...

My brother got me into Hard Rock when I was really little. then He left for school and I didn't listen to hardly any music till middle school when My friend introduced me to Metallica and I found Alter Bridge while searching for bands on Youtube. Their still probably my 2 favorite bands.

Still haven't really gotten into harsh vocals though, No matter how hard I try. I think screams and growls should be things used occasionally for pacing and shock purposes to increase the intensity of the music. You use them to much and it just sounds lame. Sevendust usually nails using screams right.
Last edited by theTYTAN at Oct 29, 2013,
If I was to pick a moment when I "got into" metal, especially extreme metal - it would be after hearing Opeth's Morningrise album and Carpathian Forest's "Bloodlust and Perversion" demo. It sounded complex, morose, dark and atmospheric, and didn't carry the infantile "high-school" aggression of a lot of nu-metal that was around at the time. Morningrise still carries at least a nostalgic feeling for me, despite barely listening to Opeth in the last few years

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Since about 6th grade on my tastes went from
Stone Temple Pilots -> Foo Fighters -> early Linkin Park -> 90's Metallica -> 80's Metallica/Testament -> Audioslave/Chevelle/Alter Bridge -> then made the trip overseas and now i'm more in a Mnemic/Soilwork/Sybreed/Disarmonia Mundi kinda place.

But to answer your question I remember this song specifically as being the first one that really sold me on growling type singers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIPDGVW6wNc

He's still one of my favorite singers
Wherever I May Roam. I can still feel it
At that time I was playing without an amp, trying to understand the palm muted open chord..heh..
Last edited by Polydox at Oct 29, 2013,
My grandma of all people, me and her would listen to black sabbath's we sold our soul for rock an roll and Metallica's black album. I ended up getting into bands like system of a down,disturbed. But for like the past year I've been listening to rock more. Bands like pearl jam,foo fighters to audioslave ratm and my favorite Coheed And Cambria.
Hard to say what song or band got me into metal but it was mostly the usual suspects(at that time and even now!) like Priest and Maiden. What really got me hooked on to the more extreme type of metal (yeah back then I thought thrash was as extreme as it got!) was perhaps watching the video of "One" on MTV (and back then it was really a music channel and you did get some decent stuff on it - atleast in a country where there was no tradition of rock/metal music). Of course I am talking about things more than 2 decades ago and I was in middle/high school.

Later on in the last 10-12 years or so I expanded my musical horizons from the usual heavy/thrash/doom to more into Death metal and some prog stuff as well (getting over my harsh/growl vocals dislike).. for that I think Opeth should take the credit.
Metallica - One
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Metallica's Master of Puppets. My friend gave me a copy on cassette and I listened to it over and over in my treehouse.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Ozzy Osbourne - Fire in the sky
Quote by Lord_Doku
The entire Spider line sounds like a trashcan getting humped by a fire truck while it's in the garbage disposal unit.

Basically...
Good question. I've never really thought about this before. As a kid I'd heard plenty of the popular stuff like Sabbath and I always liked rock music.

But what really turned me on to metal was my first concert experience when I was 13. I saw Nonpoint and Mudvayne and I just loved it so much I was hooked. I started going to some more metal shows. I've seen Nonpoint a few times and I spent plenty of time listening to their albums To the Pain and Recoil.

Lamb of God and Dethklok and they were the two first metal albums I ever purchased. It's kinda funny now thinking about how much effort I put in, I'd bike about 20 miles total to spend money on cds. Ashes of the Wake and the Dethalbum. Dethklok is a hilariously awesome satire of metal bands.

10,000 Days and all the other Tool albums were the next things I got into, and I love them all. Other metal bands I got into were Iron Maiden, Shadows Fall, Alice in Chains, and a little Rammstein.

If you haven't heard of any of these bands and are looking for some new metal I recommend all of them.

Nowadays I like Maiden best!
Long before Youtube there were various AMVs floating around where fans had taken DBZ content and mixed them with Disturbed and Metallica tunes. That was my first taste when I was about 11-13 years old (2001-2003).
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I had a few false starts with metal in my childhood. I remember seeing Motorhead on TV in about '79 or '80. My mom made me turn it over, but I knew I liked it. If she hadn't done that I would have gotten into metal much earlier.

Later ('86), it was Europe (Final Countdown) -> Bon Jovi (Livin' on a Prayer) -> Sabbath (my cousin's old LP collection) -> Metallica (Puppets) and by then I was a definite metalhead.
When I saw I, Monarch by Hate Eternal on Much Loud, that's where my interest in death metal came from. My first experience with black metal was Mayhem's Freezing Moon and Burzum's Feeble Screams from Forests Unknown, found both through Ares. I didn't like either of them, but De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas was how I ended up getting into black metal further.

Began by listening to bands like Slipknot and System of a Down. Really anything in that vein with the exception of bands like Korn and Limp Biskit. Then Metallica, Megadeth, and some early Yngwie Malmsteen (Notably Hangar 18/Area 51, since I was looking for Megadeth's Hangar 18 and stumbled onto it.)

Lots of flower metal bands in there, Stratovarius to name one. Basically any power metal bands that words incorporating "swords" "fairies" "rainbows" "diamonds". Notably Cryonic Temple.

Umm, I think that's about it really. I went through a lot of different genres in metal. Never listened to a lot of the respected bands until a few years later, which is why I don't know anything about Sabbath but can list off a bunch of garbage demos from 90s death metal bands.

Always hated Opeth. One point to me.
Anything close to metal- System of a Down
Metal- 80's Metallica and Slayer, eventually moving to Pantera
Anything close to extreme metal- Opeth and sludge bands like Crowbar
Death Metal- Morbid Angel
Black Metal- Agalloch

But I think the first time I acquired a taste for something heavy was from the stuff my parents played. Skynyrd and Sabbath introduced me to my mind, and left me wanting them and their kind. Oh yeah baby. The same can not be said for any other band I mentioned.

Although those milestone bands are important, in my opinion the most important events in my musical journey were those in the slow process of getting more and more into doom metal. When I was getting into thrash bands I was also getting into stoner bands, when I grew to tolerate extreme vocals I found death/doom and the like, and now that I listen to way more than just metal I find the metal I come back to the most is some shade of doom.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I didn't really get into metal until Opeth's Damnation album got me into their other albums. Before that I was enjoying Dream Theater's Images & Words, Symphony X's Paradise Lost and Porcupine Tree (the only PT album I consider metal is Fear of a Blank Planet) but none of those have harsh vocals.

That was about 3 years ago. Now I listen to a lot more.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
The Matrix.... Rob Zombie got me interested, then I got into Nightwish - Once was the album that opened my eyes to the most amazing music I had ever heard.
Page 1 of 2