Hi. I have hands that sweat easily, and my strings rust in about a week of play (I play hours a day).

Can someone help me find a solution to reduce my problem of fast string rust?

Does anyone have any experience with cleartone strings? I heard they're good, but I'd rather hear from people's experiences.

Any sort of tricks to reduce the quickness of my strings going rusty?
I currently use Ernie Ball Power Slinkies, but they've been rusting up and snapping within 1-2 months in E standard.
Give them a wipe down when you're done and make sure your hands are clean when you start playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Give them a wipe down when you're done and make sure your hands are clean when you start playing.

Been trying that, but they still rust pretty fast. What type of thing should I use to wipe my strings? I've tried an unworn t-shirt.
If you play hours per day and IF you sweat a lot...every 2 months it's a good time to change the strings.
You can use somekind of string cleaner (I have one that's from Planet Waves), and it takes some of the rusty off the strings.
There's no rule for this, strings are going to get rusty because you wanted or not, they are in contact with the air and water (your sweat)
You can
- Clean your hands before play guitar
- Wipe the strings with a cloth after you finish
- Put the guitar in a case/bag/ whatever.

Don't think that with this is not going to get rusty, but I think that helps.

Cheers.
Quote by SrThompson
If you play hours per day and IF you sweat a lot...every 2 months it's a good time to change the strings.
You can use somekind of string cleaner (I have one that's from Planet Waves), and it takes some of the rusty off the strings.
There's no rule for this, strings are going to get rusty because you wanted or not, they are in contact with the air and water (your sweat)
You can
- Clean your hands before play guitar
- Wipe the strings with a cloth after you finish
- Put the guitar in a case/bag/ whatever.

Don't think that with this is not going to get rusty, but I think that helps.

Cheers.

I understand that, but the question is to help reduce and slow the process. 2 months is a nice time to change strings indeed, but between then I'd like my strings to not be so dead fast, and maybe have a little headroom to change strings before they break.

I might try cleartones but I think my guitar also has a problem with choking the guitar strings at the saddle which cause string breaks. I tried lowering the action so the angle isn't so sharp from where the strings bend from the trem block and over the saddles. They have piezos in them so I can't really file down the saddles.
Go down to a sporting goods store and pick up some of those light weight wristbands that basketball players use. I have used them for other applications where my hands would get sweaty and they have really helped control it. Much of the sweat that gets on tour hands comes from your wrists. Try it and see if it helps.
I used to battle with my strings corroding far quicker than I believed they should. I just put it down to everyone's sweat being made up differently. Within a week or two I could feel the rust rubbing against my frets every time I bent a note and just could not stand it. I felt like it wasn't doing my fingers, frets, tone or fretboard any good.

I tried elixirs once and have never gone off them. Coated strings they are. Mine practically never rust now. Give them, or some other brand of coated string a shot I say.
Quote by wildozer
I used to battle with my strings corroding far quicker than I believed they should. I just put it down to everyone's sweat being made up differently. Within a week or two I could feel the rust rubbing against my frets every time I bent a note and just could not stand it. I felt like it wasn't doing my fingers, frets, tone or fretboard any good.

I tried elixirs once and have never gone off them. Coated strings they are. Mine practically never rust now. Give them, or some other brand of coated string a shot I say.

Thanks. That's what cleartones is, but supposedly superior because the coating is thin and doesn't chip off.

I used to use coated strings, but I believe they only coated the wound strings.
The problem is that the strings that rust are the UNWOUND strings. They go to a dark brown-black color pretty fast over a week.
Yep my problem was also with the unwound strings. I use the nanoweb elixirs "with anti-rust plain steels" and never have a problem anymore. I cannot speak for other brands though I'm sure they would be just as good, maybe better.

EDIT: just give elixirs/cleartones a shot and you wont be disappointed I'm sure.
Last edited by wildozer at Oct 30, 2013,
Quote by wildozer
Yep my problem was also with the unwound strings. I use the nanoweb elixirs "with anti-rust plain steels" and never have a problem anymore. I cannot speak for other brands though I'm sure they would be just as good, maybe better.

EDIT: just give elixirs/cleartones a shot and you wont be disappointed I'm sure.

Thanks. I honestly can't remember how I thought of coated strings last time I had them. It's been too long. Been buying regulars because of the cost.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

This is really the only thing you can do. My hands sweat very easily. There's no way around it really but you can help slow the time it takes by cleaning strings after every session or perhaps even break in between to clean them.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3