Ole Poly has been out of the way for some time now & wants to know if anything special appeared lately. thanks in advance. will respond with interest

*understands respect & also believes out of the 1500 ppl online someone will come tumbling on in with OMFGTHISISAWESOMEGOLOOK about their character*
Last edited by Polydox at Oct 29, 2013,
Gibson now have a billion guitars for everything.

Mostly meh. Still lots of awesome though, but lots of meh too.
Making hybrid amps and strongly implying they're tube so they sell better seems to be fairly popular currently.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dean Zelinsky's new company introduced a new kind of neck:
http://deanzelinsky.com/collections/z-glide-guitar-models

Not so much a new kind of neck as it is a new kind of finish for the back of the neck. For some time now we've watched newbs rough up their brand new glossy necks with scotchbrite, and a lot of necks have been finished in satin, etc.

The whole point is to break the gecko-like surface tension that allows finger and palm prints to stick to new glossy surfaces, especially when they get moist. With time and use, of course, microscratches develop in a standard glossy neck that break that surface tension anyway. Dean has simply etched a pattern in the back of the neck that takes the whole process a bit further (pretty soon someone is going to glue/decoupage their favorite fabric back there). What's disturbing, however, is that the ad copy reads, "designed to trap moisture and sweat..." and I'm not at all sure that's a good thing. Yuck.
Dunno if you've been watching, but Variax guitars have been around for eight or nine years.

The current generation of Variaxes is the second one, with faster, more powerful DSPs, better piezos and better designs on the actual guitars themselves. The original versions were lauded as $1500 worth of electronics with a $300 guitar underneath. James Tyler now designs their guitars, and with an LP-type, a Strat-type and a superstrat-type available, you not only have different scales, weights, shapes and pickup types (there are now ordinary pickups on the guitars as well), but also a higher quality guitar backing up the electronics. In addition, the ability to instantly change tunings has been made even easier.

The new ones have just recently undergone an "HD" upgrade to the firmware to expand and add definition to the 25+ models that are in the older guitars, and one version finally has a 16" radius fretboard, jumbo frets, a 25.5" scale, a relatively wide/thin neck, a pair of hot humbuckers and a Floyd!

Still missing from the lineup are some of the options from the original set of guitars -- the Acoustic 700 was a guitar that appeared to be a thinline acoustic, but which was really a solid mahogany guitar that had 17 or 18 models of acoustic guitar built in, allowing you to play what sounds like nylon string, Martin and Gibson dreadnoughts, etc., but with no feedback issues. The 700 and 705 Basses were outstanding 4- and 5-string bass guitars, respectively, with built-in models that channeled Riks, P and J basses and more. Session bass players love these things.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Making hybrid amps and strongly implying they're tube so they sell better seems to be fairly popular currently.

Modeling amps have pretty much won the day; Line 6 currently has the largest market share of any amp manufacturer and has grown to that status quietly, with insidious little Spyder modeling amps designed initially for beginning guitarists (they've sold over a million of the buggers).

Tube amp manufacturers are surviving by building ever smaller amps, with far fewer 100W amps and 4x12s selling these days, in favor of tube amps that put out 15W, 5W and even less. Our "hive living" is partly to blame (cranking up a tube amp in your apartment is likely to invite a bullet whistling through the wall), as are concerns over rock stars (and their audiences) exhibiting advanced tinnitus. Stage Volume is becoming much reduced at gigs, sound engineers are miking anything that moves and there's little use for power tube distortion when sophisticated modeling technology simulates it to varying degrees of accuracy.

These days, garage bands are playing modeling guitars into modeling amps (or just the modelers themselves) and drummers are using electronic drum sets, so that if you attend a band practice in your friends' garage, it's likely that you'll need a set of headphones to hear more than a slight "tickie tappity" and a bit of an acoustic twang until the singer bellows something.
I play with a fair few people, and go to quite a few auditions and I've never seen a modelling guitar in my life.

Maybe they just haven't caught on in London yet, but garage bands use Teles and Strats, as far as my experience is.

The amps, yea, but not the guitars, yet. I've no doubt they'll catch on, though.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 30, 2013,
Dspellman you serious?

I see live bands weekly, and I have never seen a guitarist from a band without a (Tube) amp, except for multi,fx and rack mounted pre amps. I did see a Variax twice 5 years back or so.

Hell it's almost more rare to see a guitarist with just ONE tube amp, I often see "Marshall/fender type" combinations for cleans and distortion.

Around here stoner/70's/sludge rock seems to become a tad more popular, and they demand these amps. I even have seen a matamp come by.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yea, aside from the rare rack unit like a Axe FX or Kemper everyone uses tube amps.

People always aspire towards them, I think they always will.
Quote by Mephaphil
Yea, aside from the rare rack unit like a Axe FX or Kemper everyone uses tube amps.

People always aspire towards them, I think they always will.

I also think they always will stay.

I play through amp VST's at home all week, and sound good for recording.

Hitting my Orange or Laney in the weekends however.

Come on... Even hearing the saturation of a simple power chord through that gives a warm feeling.

I don't want to be elitist, but tube amps just have more life to them, but I am biased in that I never tried an AXE FX or Kemper.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I have an Eleven Rack and its awesome. I also have an Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII and cab. Personally I don't think that it gets much better than the Orange set up.

But the 11r is great value for money, rivals the Kemper and is much better than the Pod or Boss products, it also comes with Pro Tools. I use it mainly for recording and silent practice so that I don't get letters from the council again, it has a load of great tones and models but none of them sound better than my Orange. It is a third of the price, and you probably wouldn't notice unless I told you, but I'd still crank my Orange every time.

It just sounds better, natural and you hear everything. Its much better. Good modelling units are a great second choice, and while I love my 11r and it sounds great, the Orange crushes it.

People will always strive for the best, and tube amps are still the best, the original.

If you're interested here's a couple of things I recorded on my 11r.

http://m.soundcloud.com/farce_bandit/hendrix
http://m.soundcloud.com/farce_bandit/matchless-and-ideas
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 30, 2013,
Not so much a new kind of neck as it is a new kind of finish for the back of the neck

That's a bit deeper woodwork than a "finish", IMHO.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I checked out the Z-Glide series. StrettaVita Z-Glide BT is gorgeous. Its been years since I wanted a new axe.
I have read everything above. Much appreciated everybody in thread.
What can this guitar do? Is the sound round or edgy?
From what I read about Zelinsky, I think he wants to give a really good deal on quality material.
Quote by Mephaphil
I have an Eleven Rack and its awesome. I also have an Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII and cab. Personally I don't think that it gets much better than the Orange set up.

But the 11r is great value for money, rivals the Kemper and is much better than the Pod or Boss products, it also comes with Pro Tools. I use it mainly for recording and silent practice so that I don't get letters from the council again, it has a load of great tones and models but none of them sound better than my Orange. It is a third of the price, and you probably wouldn't notice unless I told you, but I'd still crank my Orange every time.

It just sounds better, natural and you hear everything. Its much better. Good modelling units are a great second choice, and while I love my 11r and it sounds great, the Orange crushes it.

People will always strive for the best, and tube amps are still the best, the original.

If you're interested here's a couple of things I recorded on my 11r.

http://m.soundcloud.com/farce_bandit/hendrix
http://m.soundcloud.com/farce_bandit/matchless-and-ideas

The first time playing a rockerverb it set fire from the inside :<
I love Orange, its so crisp and flattering

cool tunes Meph.
Last edited by Polydox at Oct 30, 2013,
Based on his work at Dean and DBZ, Dean Z likes to make guitars for shredders and rockers. I expect the DZPL guitars to follow suit. I haven't gotten one yet, but based on what I've seen on their site and on YouTube, I'm getting one soon.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I still have more to include so... i need to come back at a later time xD
*This thread & its proposals have not been abandoned*
Last edited by Polydox at Oct 30, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
I play with a fair few people, and go to quite a few auditions and I've never seen a modelling guitar in my life.

Maybe they just haven't caught on in London yet, but garage bands use Teles and Strats, as far as my experience is.

The amps, yea, but not the guitars, yet. I've no doubt they'll catch on, though.

It was actually hard finding the JTV-89F in stock here in LA. The boys from Line 6 are right up in Calabasas and THEY had issues getting one for one of their artists. Mine was on a two-month back order (it actually came in a bit before the two-month wait).

I really have lost contact with garage bands here in LA - but they've always seemed to use pretty much everything they can get their mitts on.

Certainly the modeling guitars are rarer than the modeling amps; the JTV series is averaging around $1200-1500, so it's not going to be showing up everywhere. A Line 6 Spider IV 30 is only around $199.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That's a bit deeper woodwork than a "finish", IMHO.

You've seen this in person then? Touched it and felt it?
No, but I've seen close-up stills Those dimples and grooves are a lot more like the surface of a golf ball than anything else.

There's a good one here somewhat down the page, its angle and lighting really shows the depth.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/244622-dean-zelinsky-launches-new-line-guitars-2.html

update: I'm ordering the dean Z glide. thank you for responding well indeed. I really don't have anything to add. I wish the guitar was here right now so I could tell you guys how much I love it =)
Quote by Polydox
update: I'm ordering the dean Z glide. thank you for responding well indeed. I really don't have anything to add. I wish the guitar was here right now so I could tell you guys how much I love it =)

Give it a few weeks before you sing its praises. I think long term that thing is going to be abrasive and, after a while, septic. Virtually impossible to clean.

It takes me about a month before playing time has put enough microscratches in a new gloss finish to keep me from sticking to a guitar. The business of sanding a neck down just seems to me to be nonsense, and this patterned neck would get old very quickly. What are we going to see next? "Ribbed for his pleasure?"
Quote by dspellman
Give it a few weeks before you sing its praises. I think long term that thing is going to be abrasive and, after a while, septic. Virtually impossible to clean.

It takes me about a month before playing time has put enough microscratches in a new gloss finish to keep me from sticking to a guitar. The business of sanding a neck down just seems to me to be nonsense, and this patterned neck would get old very quickly. What are we going to see next? "Ribbed for his pleasure?"

Excellent point.
Last edited by Polydox at Nov 3, 2013,