Phew, finally I'm getting some money.
Let's spend it all as soon as possible!

Ahem, anyway, I still haven't changed the tubes in my BH5 because money, time, and the fact that the guy who owned it before put a JJ EL84 in there.

The 12ax7 is still the stock one.
What should I change it with?

I was thinking about a lower gain tube because I don't really need to play loud, but will it make it sound better at lower volumes, or that just depends on the overall circuit and/or the output tube?

Would it be better to change the output tube too?

And now the biggest question - which brand should I choose, and why?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
JJ el84 is fine, pretty much. it's one of the better current production ones, I think.

I have limited experience with lower gain tubes but to my ears a 5751 just kind of sounded like i'd turned the volume knob a little. it's worth a shot if you just want to blow some money but it's not going to massively change things. it might lower the overall volume a little, but it'll also lower the amount of amp distortion you'll get. you'd swap to a lower gain preamp tube if your amp didn't have enough clean headroom, for example.

is there any change in tone you'd like? brighter? darker? etc. if you can identify the stock tube, that'd help, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The tube has written "12AX7B CHINA" on it, nothing more and nothing less.

Is there any way in which I can obtain a funkyer AND more controlled sound?

You see, I like that funky sound that resembles strats middle pickup in particular, though whenever I switch to the (tele) bridge pickup, the sound becomes the famous carboard box sound unless there's some distortion (it probably is the 8" speaker's fault too if not only, though...).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
could be a shuguang i guess, but i really don't know. you might get better answers in the tube thread about that.

I guess a 5751 might do what you want, but don't hold your breath, kind of thing.

and yeah the speaker probably isn't helping. it's debatable if it's worth forking out for an upgrade, too- I haven't really tried any of the replacements, but most of them (excepting maybe weber, which are expensive and difficult to get hold of in europe) are fairly cheap too, aimed at cheap practice amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn Dave, when I read 'shuguang" I thought it was another of your funny Irish ways of saying stuff that could easely be said in a less Irish way...

I'll change the whole cab soon anyway.

Any suggestions about the 5751 brand?
I've read it's better to stay away from Ruby and sovtek, though some seem to like sovtek quite a bit.
I'm so confused
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I have a BH1

Shuguangs are decent. 9th generation that is.
I heard the JJ EL84s had quality issues.
A 5751 has about 90% of the gain of a 12AX7.
If you want to spend the bucks on a 5751 I recommend JAN Phillips.
You may want to look into a 12AT7 or 12AU7 (70% and 50% of the gain respectively)
Neither will really help with your loudness 'situation'
The power tube is going to drive the volume and there is not much you can do there.
If you want better tone at a lower volume, then getting a lower gain preamp tube is pointless.
I'd get a JJ 12AX7.
Worked well in my Blackheart.
If you want to go crazy we can give you a list of NOS 12AX7s to look at.

that's my .311 cents
Enough quality issues regarding the EL84 to make it worth changing it?

The 5751 would have a gain factor of about 70% from what I read, anyway it would be more for the tone than for the volume.

Edit: I can relatively easely find GE 5751s, but hardly find Philips'.
I read they're similar, so would I be good?

I'm so scared of spending €35 for something that may not make a (good) difference...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 31, 2013,
Quote by Spambot_2
(a) Damn Dave, when I read 'shuguang" I thought it was another of your funny Irish ways of saying stuff that could easely be said in a less Irish way...

(b) I'll change the whole cab soon anyway.

(c) Any suggestions about the 5751 brand?
I've read it's better to stay away from Ruby and sovtek, though some seem to like sovtek quite a bit.
I'm so confused

(a)

(b) yeah that would likely make more sense

(c) I've only tried the sovtek- like you I'd read it was one of the "good" sovteks, but I thought it was a bit bland. I only tried it in one amp, though, the vht special 6, so it was hardly an extensive test
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?