Alright, so I know it might get a bit annoying to see these "herp derp which guitar should I get" threads, But I'm having a bit of a hard time finding something I like. I'm in the market for a new guitar but I have a bit of nit picky preferences that are hindering the process. I was looking into the Jackson Dkmg and dxmg series but it seems as though they've been discontinued?They seemed perfect since they were available in a hardtail design along with passive emgs which I've heard mostly good things about, all of the sudden they disappeared though. Just a couple of months ago I'm sure I saw them on MF.

Anyways. Obviously I'm looking for a hardtail design and passive (decent sounding) pickups mainly because of preference and reliability. I'm not really looking to modify it, I have other guitars for that.

I love the superstrat design and all of the guitars I've played on with that design I've liked so I can't go wrong there, preferably with an HH setup. Though I am open to suggestions on body styles.

I am in a bit of a budget due to bills n shit, so I'm trying to stick around no more than $350.

If anyone knows of other guitars that carry passive Emg's like the Jackson series' I mentioned above please let me know too.

Currently I own a cheap Starcaster and an old rgx. I put a seymour duncan in the starcaster and a duncan design in the rgx, but I'm still a bit unsatisfied with the overall feel and reliability of the guitars. I have issues with the build qualities.
Passive EMG's are not very good. They sounded pretty muddy to me, I certainly wouldn't base a guitar choice on those pickups.

With that said, I'd be looking at used guitars. You get way more for your money.
The Godin Redline HB sells for about $500 new, and you should be able to find it used in your price range. Solid guitar: hardtail "superstrat", relatively hot HBs, 24 frets, Made in Canada. You could do a lot worse.

http://godinguitars.com/godinredlinehbp.htm

Another hardtail Superstrat to consider is the Fernandes Dragonfly. Fernandes as a company generally aims for the hard-rock & metal segment of the market: slender necks, high-output HBs or actives are standard. They have an entry-level one called the Dragonfly X, but you might enjoy a higher-end used one even more.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-dragonfly
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 30, 2013,
I would look into the ESP Ltd H-250 or H-400. Neck through, hard tail bridge, and Seymour Duncan pickups. Some models instead have EMGs but the SD versions shouldn't be hard to find. A used H-250 should suit your needs if you can find one (they retail for $599).

There's also the H-100 which can be had new for $350, but it has a lower build quality and is bolt-on instead of neck through (that part is preference).

EDIT: I would avoid the passive EMG-HZ pickups like the plague.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Last edited by gorgthemeatpile at Oct 30, 2013,
Does LTD put Duncans in the lower end 200 and 300 series guitars?
Quote by J_W
Does LTD put Duncans in the lower end 200 and 300 series guitars?

Oooh, looks like they don't add 3rd party pickups until the 400 series, where both passive Duncans and active EMGs are available.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
looking into godins at the moment. I can't seem to find too many of the hardtail ones, but I'll keep trying. I'll look into the ESP guitars and i'm also considering some of the Ibanez newer rg models. Any recommendations on those?
I don't think there's another hardtail Strat in Godin's line besides the Redline HB.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have several LTD M/MH 400 series for <$350

They have several MIJ Jackson Dinky guitars for under your budget also.

Have you thought about a used PRS SE CU24? They run $300ish used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It sounds like you know what you want, but it’s discontinued. But you’re on a budget. Solve both problems and buy a used guitar. New guitars are for suckers. Always let some other guy take the hit on new gear prices. Only make exceptions for clearance items and stuff like Joyo/Biyang pedals that just can’t be any cheaper.
alright so after browsing a bit through the used inventory on GC's website I came across this jackson dinky that comes with emgs, From the looks it might be an active emg model but I'm not really sure? I don't think I would mind as for 300 bucks it would be a decent deal assuming its a good guitar. anyone have any idea? http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JACKSON-DINKY-EMG-109342555-i3293741.gc