First of all, I'd like to say hi. How are you doing? Thank you for reading my thread. I apologize if I make some mistakes, english is not my native language, so please tell me if something is wrong.

I'm having doubts between three guitars at the moment. Here's the thing: I studied guitar for a year and a half and I want to start again, and my brother wants to learn guitar, so we are going to buy a guitar together.

We are considering three options:

(A small note about prices, we live in Argentina, so this is the price in US dollars for each guitar here)

1- Epiphone Les Paul Special II (338 US Dollars)

Description (from Epiphone.com):

Body : mahogany
Neck: mahogany
Neck Shape 1960s SlimTaper™ “D” Profile
Neck Joint Bolt-on
Scale length 24.75”
Fingerboard rosewood
Fingerboard Radius 12”
Nut Width 1.68”
Hardware Nickel
Machine Heads Covered; 14:1 ratio
Neck Pickup Epiphone 650R Humbucker
Bridge Pickup Epiphone 700T Humbucker
Controls 1-volume, 1-tone
Pickup Selector 3-way Epiphone toggle
Bridge LockTone™ Tune-o-matic
Tailpiece LockTone™ Stopbar
Optional Hard Case
Warranty Epiphone Limited Lifetime.

2- Epiphone SG Special Gothic (319 US Dollars)

Description from MusiciansFriend.com (Couldn't find something better, not sure if it fits the guitar)

Features
Gothic satin black finish
Mahogany slim-taper neck
Rosewood fretboard
"Designed in the USA" humbuckers
Tune-o-matic bridge
Chrome die-cast tuners

3- Stratocaster Squier Bullet Fat (373 US Dollars)

Description from MusiciansFriend.com (Couldn't find something better, not sure if it fits the guitar)

The Squier Affinity Series Fat Strat Electric Guitar combines 2 forward single-coils, a bridge humbucker pickup, and 5-way switching for incredible Fat Strat tonal range. Solid hardwood body, 21-fret rosewood fingerboard, die-cast chrome tuners, and standard fulcrum tremolo bridge.

We have pretty much the same taste in music, mostly heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, you know, to point in that direction).

I will admit that I know almost nothing about guitars, but these are the options we are considering, mostly considering the price (A quick search on Amazon tells me that the LP Special II is around 140 dollars in the US, I'd love to have those prices here, and considering this is Argentina, and the situation in our contry, buying online is not an option).

If you would like to know something more to adress a specific topic or to give an overall better reply please tell me and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to read your answers.
Last edited by bark.battery at Oct 30, 2013,
The Used market probably sucks there, too; but, if you can find used, higher end models of the SG or LP, with set necks (not bolt-on), you'll be happier. This means slightly better quality.

What amp do you have? This will have a bigger impact to your tone. If you're just planning to practice (not gig), a used Line 6 Pod will be fun. For the occasional gig/show, perhaps your musician friends can help with their better amps.

Buena suerte!
Quote by Ippon
The Used market probably sucks there, too; but, if you can find used, higher end models of the SG or LP, with set necks (not bolt-on), you'll be happier. This means slightly better quality.

What amp do you have? This will have a bigger impact to your tone. If you're just planning to practice (not gig), a used Line 6 Pod will be fun. For the occasional gig/show, perhaps your musician friends can help with their better amps.

Buena suerte!

I'm not sure if my brother would agree to buy a used guitar, but I'll look into it. Any particular model to look for?

Also, if you would have to choose between those three guitars I listed, what would be your choice?

About the amp, I have a small amp (sadly, kinda cheap, from a local brand), but since there are no immediate plans to play gigs or something like that, I'll be switching between my amp and PC software.

Gracias!
Rock on!
Buy used or save up for longer. The guitars you are looking at are very poor.

The minimum you should be looking at would be the Epiphone Les Paul Standard or the Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster.

You'll need an amp too.
Quote by Mephaphil
Buy used or save up for longer. The guitars you are looking at are very poor.

The minimum you should be looking at would be the Epiphone Les Paul Standard or the Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster.

You'll need an amp too.

The thing is that, a used Les Paul Standard is something around 800 dollars (and to be fair, you can get one new at 900 dollars, so I'd save for that). And if we talk about the Squier that you mentioned, around 850 used, over 1000 dollars new. So there's a big difference. But I'm sure that there will be a big difference in quality too. But spending that kind of money is something I can't do
Rock on!
Excuse the practice Spanish.

Aquí, en la tierra de los impresionante guitarras y las mujeres hermosas, usado guitarras da el mejor valor para el dinero.

De los 3, voy a comprar el Affinity Strat con HSS PUs. El Epi LP Studio es mucho mejor.
I understand, and from what I've read you have very high import tax laws.

But buying poor quality will unfortunately result in poor tone, reliability etc. While it's not the same crazy prices that you guys have, here in the UK all the American products cost twice as much, sometimes 3x.

Mesa amps are an example of that.

I'd say save up, or find a trustworthy American who will ship it to you and help you out, in the ways they can. If you catch my drift.
Quote by Ippon
Excuse the practice Spanish.

Aquí, en la tierra de los impresionante guitarras y las mujeres hermosas, usado guitarras da el mejor valor para el dinero.

De los 3, voy a comprar el Affinity Strat con HSS PUs. El Epi LP Studio es mucho mejor.

From what I could understand, used guitars = best value. What I didn't get is the second part, sorry (But I used Google to know at least a little bit about those guitars you mentioned). Still out of my price range, but at least we're getting closer

Quote by Mephaphil
I understand, and from what I've read you have very high import tax laws.

But buying poor quality will unfortunately result in poor tone, reliability etc. While it's not the same crazy prices that you guys have, here in the UK all the American products cost twice as much, sometimes 3x.

Mesa amps are an example of that.

I'd say save up, or find a trustworthy American who will ship it to you and help you out, in the ways they can. If you catch my drift.

I could talk to someone I know who buys stuff online (I'm guessing he has some contacts to make things easier on my wallet), but that's a remote chance. But I get your point.

I forgot to mention, I had a Cort X-8 in the past and I really liked it, sadly it was stolen from me. How big is the difference between a Cort X-8 and the guitars I listed? (Other than the "floyd rose" on the X-8) I would love to add more details but I am editing this from my phone.
I'd like to thank you both for taking your time, reading, answering and helping me with this
Rock on!
Last edited by bark.battery at Oct 30, 2013,
Quote by bark.battery
I'm not sure if my brother would agree to buy a used guitar, but I'll look into it. Any particular model to look for?

Also, if you would have to choose between those three guitars I listed, what would be your choice?

About the amp, I have a small amp (sadly, kinda cheap, from a local brand), but since there are no immediate plans to play gigs or something like that, I'll be switching between my amp and PC software.

Gracias!

You can get those guitars a lot cheaper from

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

they ship worldwide, shipping to Argentinia is 50 Euro = 65 USD

the prices shown at their website usually includes local VAT (19-21%) which you don't have to pay, though you have to pay your local taxes
Quote by Ippon
Have you checked out Agile? http://www.rondomusic.com/ I believe they ship everywhere.

Quote by paruwi
You can get those guitars a lot cheaper from

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

they ship worldwide, shipping to Argentinia is 50 Euro = 65 USD

the prices shown at their website usually includes local VAT (19-21%) which you don't have to pay, though you have to pay your local taxes

The thing is, when it gets to the customs office it stays there. I don't want to go into details, something about imports in the past few years.

I could swear I had a Cort X-8, but I can't find any details anywhere. It's weird.

If I'm not mistaken, and the X-8 was actually a Cort model (maybe some of you heard of it or know something), are there many differences is between that guitar and the ones I listed here?
Rock on!
Hi man what's up?
I'm from Argentina too but I'll post in english as this is a english forum and also so the rest of the guys here can understand us.

If I were you I'll go with the Les Paul, yes it's a studio, it would not be the best, but it wil take a while until you can note a difference between an Epi LP Studio and a Standard.

Later on you can change the mics or sell it.

The second hand market in Argentina is not like the rest of the world, the difference between a second hand and a brand new guitar sometimes it's so minimum that everyones goes for the new one.
But you can check http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar (Argentinean Ebay) and see what you can get.

If you are from Buenos Aires City, probably it would be good to to go to Talcahuano (there's heaps of music shops there) and ask for prices and deals if you buy the guitar + amp in the same place.

Cheers.