I've been a drummer for a long time and i decided i wanted to play guitar, so i taught myself and still am and i bought a Schecter Damien Platinum FR 6 guitar near the beginning of this year and it sounded great. One day i noticed that it didnt sound as good and a friend of mine said it was probably because when i bought it i didnt have it set up at the time so i went and got that done and had it tuned to standard because i didnt know what it was in before, it wasnt standard :l. It sounded (to me) bad but i thought it was because i wasnt used to that tuning but i never got used to it. So one day i looked up how to re turn a Floyd and tried it.....skipping details i failed got new strings and tried it again and it worked. But still sounds terrible.
All the notes are fine tuned to how i want it and it sounds good if i play a single note. When i try playing a chord or most anything else it sounds like absolute shit. And i dont know anything else about Floyds to attempt to fix it and i dont have $60 to take it in again, my friend said it could be intonation problems which... i have no idea what that means.
I've been thinking about trying to trade it in or sell it and getting a guitar without a Floyd but i like this guitar and if i can fix the problem with relative ease i'd like to..
Does anyone have any comments that could possibly be the cause of my guitar sounding how it is or what i could do?
Anything would be appreciated, thank you.
When you talk about needing a set up and "went and got that done and had it tuned to standard", I assume you took it to a shop? Go do that again and say to them your intonation seems to be out of whack. If it's still playing up request a refund and find a different shop/tech.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
yeah if multiple notes sound bad there's a fair chance it's intonation.

a pro setup at a shop should've included intonation adjustment. EDIT: ninjaed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh yeah yeah i had taken it in then, and alright i'll give it a try once more. Thanks
Tuning a floyd can be tricky, are you checking tuning on each string after you have finished tuning it? It's not like a hardtail where you just start on the low e and finish on the high e and you're done. Your low E can be in tune when you tune that string and be way off by the time you get to your high E. Everything you do on one side of the bridge has the opposite effect on the other side.

Intonation being off has more of an effect on higher frets, the fact that you say chords sound bad makes me think it's not in tune.
^ that's a good point, too. tuning one string will throw the others off with a floating floyd.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Please use paragraphs...

Anyway I would just take it to a shop for another setup, assuming that the guitar is tuned properly and still having intonation issues. Alternatively you can follow the setup guide here in the forums.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Yeah i tuned each string before putting the locks on and i went string by string, i tuned lower on some because the fine tuners were being stubborn but it evened out. And I just re checked the tuning (i use a tuner) And the only one that i dont really know about low E because i tuned to Drop D as best i can by trying to listen to it played on youtube and it sounds right i think
Well normal chords certainly won't sound right in drop D if any of them involve the low E string.
I seem to be failing at explaining this xD.
I know its not going to sound 'right' but it sounds wrong for how its suppose to sound. In drop D.

I was able to play Sonne before and it sounded good, now it sounds no where near it. Thats why i'm thinking something is wrong because everything should be how it was before, its just not.
First off, if you're playing a FR equipped guitar, I don't recommend using a drop tuning.

And you sure as shit shouldn't retune the low E to D all the time. Why? It would knock all the other strings out of tune.

Anyway, here's the thread on FR setup. Here is how to intonate a floyd rose guitar. DON'T SKIP ANY STEPS! All of them are important. Take your time, and do it slow. As an owner of a FR equipped guitar, it is a good idea for you to learn how to maintenance it. Changing strings and adjusting intonation are key.
It sounds to me like you are just out of tune. Try tuning the guitar to itself.

Tune your first string to E or D using a tuner and then tune the other strings to that one.

Do as stated in this vid, except for tuning to drod D, In the vid, he holds the 5th fret E to tune the A. For Drop D, you will tune the A (second string) to the 7th fret on the E(first string). All other strings are the same as the vid.

If you your strings are tuned to each other and it stills sounds screwy, you have other issues.

You can block the floyd so it works like a fixed bridge also, if you just can't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j75OU3jWqEg